Makeup You Wanna Eat: Pinks & Purple
This look reminded me of cupcakes or maybe ice cream. Either way, I was like, “Mmm, I want some food!” (Preferrably something sweet, much to the dismay of my thighs…) For those who follow me on Twitter, *this* was the look I just wasn’t lovin’. Encouragement from my girl Pursebuzz made me OK enough to post this anyway Though I totally meant to post this early this morning, but between studying for my final tonight and writing a final paper… it all kind of got lost in the mix!
By the by, I also tried out wearing MAC Blooming Lovely Lipstick + English Accents Lipglass, and I can see it working much better on someone with cooler undertones or even a paler complexion. I don’t always post looks that are most suitable to me, because I know not everyone who reads the blog is warm-toned and may prefer to see some cooler looks that may look better on them than I
You will need the following…
- Eyes: MAC Soft Ochre Paint Pot (neutral beige base), MAC Fuchsia Pigment (medium bright pink), MAC Give Me Liberty of London Eyeshadow (pastel pink), MAC Free to Be Eyeshadow (matte coral), MAC Dame’s Desire Eyeshadow (medium-dark iridescent purple), MAC Femme-fi Eyeshadow (neutral highlighter), Urban Decay Lust 24/7 Liner (purple), MAC Plushlash Mascara (black)
- Face: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (140), Laura Mercier Setting Powder
- Cheeks: MAC Prim & Proper Blush (nude-pink), MAC Shell Pearl Beauty Powder (peach champagne)
- Lips: MAC Petals & Peacocks Lipstick (bright pink), MAC English Accents Lipglass (light medium pink with lilac)
- Brushes: 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 116 (dense blush brush), 165 (tapered blush brush)
- Substitutes: Give Me Liberty of London = Girlie (Pen ‘n Pink, if you have it – it’s discontinued now!); Dame’s Desire = Creme de Violet; Prim & Proper = Tenderling; Shell Pearl = Soft & Gentle; Petals & Peacocks = Girl About Town; English Accents = Cultured
For eyes, start by applying Soft Ochre paint pot as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. With the 239 and water-based mixing medium (or water), apply Fuchsia pigment all over the lid area. Using the 239, apply Give Me Liberty of London eyeshadow on the inner third of the eyelid. Next, apply Free to Be eyeshadow on the middle third of the eyelid and lightly blend with the inner corner. Darken the outer third of the lid with Dame’s Desire eyeshadow with the 239, gently brushing it into the lower crease. Lightly blend Dame’s Desire eyeshadow, with the 239, on the outer corner and lid. To finish the eyeshadow look, sweep Femme-fi eyeshadow as a highlighter on the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying Lust eyeliner on the lower lash line and Gorgeous Gold eyeshadow lightly patted below the lower lash line with the 219 brush. Finish by sweeping lashes with Plushlash mascara.
For cheeks, apply Prim & Proper blush to the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116. With the 165, gently tap Shell Pearl beauty powder on the cheek bones to highlight.
For lips, apply Petals & Peacocks lipstick first, and then layer English Accents lipglass for a complementing lip.
MAC Eyeshadow Packaging: Bough Grey, Dame’s Desire, Birds & Berries, Free to Be
MAC Give Me Liberty of London: Eyeshadow Reviews, Photos, Swatches
Each of the eyeshadows is packaged in white flip-top containers, but on top of the clear lid, there is a flower, and each shade has a different color (or flower!).
Eyeshadow ($14.50 U.S. / $17.50 CDN)
- Bough Grey is a smooth, softened gray with a tinge of blue and a subtle sheen with a satin finish. I can’t think of a shade quite like this — perhaps Scene, but the texture feels smoother, softer and the color seems grayer.
- Dame’s Desire is a medium purple with red undertones and an almost icy purple shimmer with a frost finish. It reminds me of Creme de Violet’s coloring but more pigmented and with a different finish. Maybe if Stars ‘n Rockets and Creme de Violet had a baby? It was originally in the Dame Edna Collection.
- Birds & Berries is a shimmery, frosted bluish-teal with a veluxe pearl finish. It reminded me a lot of Strike the Pose eyeshadow, except a little greener/tealer, but the two are incredibly similar.
- Free to Be is a coral-orange with a matte finish. It goes on smooth and pigmented, but it is also a permanent shade (recently added).
- Give Me Liberty of London is a dusty milky pink. It reminds me of Pen ‘n Pink. It goes on very lightly, semi-sheer, but it doesn’t look or feel chalky.
I thought I better do a Royal Tour trio look before I returned it! I’m spending the day with my sister, and I’m pretty sure we’ll be heading to the mall at some point in the afternoon, so I’d like to return some Dame Edna stuff–I just really was disappointed by some items I bought. We’re going to see Marley & Me, so I only wore this look briefly, because I just know I’ll be crying like a baby at least once during the movie–no need to have violet streaming down my face, LOL.
Oh! Oh! I would like to say that the lips I used in this look are far brighter than I’d normally pair with this bold of an eye. I really wanted to do *some* lip combo using the Dame Edna products, thus you have it You can also blot down the lipstick so it’s more of a stain before you put the gloss over it to make it less in-your-face.
What are you all doing for New Year’s Eve?! I ask today, because I know there are several international readers, so I’m sure your NYE is coming up just a lil’ faster than mine
You will need the following…
- Eyes: Violet pigment (violet base), Dame’s Desire eyeshadow (light purple), Royal Tour eyeshadow (medium purple with fuchsia), Climate Blue eyeshadow (blue-purple), Femme-fi eyeshadow (highlighter), Urban Decay Lust 24/7 Liner (purple), (Plushlash mascara (black)
- Cheeks: Don’t Be Shy blush (cool pink)
- Lips: Gladiola lipstick (purple-fuchsia), Hot Frost lipglass (medium pink)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 129 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Dame’s Desire = Beautiful Iris; Royal Tour = Satellite Dreams; Climate Blue = Contrast; Femme-fi = Shroom; Don’t Be Shy = Well Dressed; Gladiola = Up the Amp + Girl About Town; Hot Frost = Cultured
Directions: Define brows using a coordinating powder shadow applied with the 266 brush. Apply Violet pigment all over the lid as the base with the 249. On the inner lid, apply Dame’s Desire eyeshadow using the 239. Apply Royal Tour eyeshadow to the middle of the lid. Darken the outer lid using Climate Blue packed on and drag into crease using the 239. Darken crease with Climate Blue eyeshadow using the 239. Sweep Femme-fi underneath the brow bone to highlight. Finish with Urban Decay Lust 24/7 Liner on lower lash line, and Plushlash mascara on lashes. Sweep apples of cheeks with Don’t Be Shy blush using the 129. Apply Gladiola lipstick to lips, and then top with Hot Frost lipglass for color and shine.
Check out more photos! Continue reading →