Summer Makeup: Go Blue or Go Home!
Thank goodness it’s Friday! :) I am a big fan of blue eyeshadow, and I really do think everyone should try a totally, full-on blue (I totally wanted to say Bang On Blue!) look at least once in their lifetime, even if they never wear it outside of the house.
I will say a couple things about this look: Atlantic Blue makes this look. Haight gets lost in it. I listed it, because I did use it, but I don’t think you need it to recreate this look at all. You could also go with a cooler, pinker blush — sometimes all the coolness on my naturally warmer skin tone can be odd, so I wanted to try it with a bronzey cheek instead. I also went very heavy on mascara, since I wasn’t going to apply false lashes, to make my lashes visible against the blue.
You will need the following…
- Eyes: NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base (neutral eyeshadow base), Urban Decay Aquarius Eyeshadow (light aqua-blue), Urban Decay Dashiki Eyeshadow (medium sky blue), Urban Decay Haight Eyeshadow (teal), MAC Atlantic Blue Eyeshadow (dark blue), MAC Femme Fi Eyeshadow (highlighter), MAC Blue Herizon Liquidlast Liner (blue), MAC Electric Eel Eyeshadow (bright blue), Make Up For Ever #7L Aqua Eyes (turquoise), MAC Plushlash Mascara (black)
- Face: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (140), Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder (translucent)
- Cheeks: MAC Get-Away Bronze Blush (reddish bronze)
- Lips: MAC Beachbound Lipstick (peachy melon), MAC Splashing Lipglass (pink)
- Brushes: 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Femme-fi = Shroom; Get-Away Bronze = Format; Beachbound = Melon pigment; Splashing = Flusterose
For eyes, start by applying Smudgeproof as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. Using the 239, apply Aquarius eyeshadow on the inner half of the lid and pull upwards along the inner crease. Lightly blend Dashiki eyeshadow on the outer half of the lid with the 239. Next, apply Haight eyeshadow into the crease with the 226, lightly blending outwards and upwards to fade to the brow bone. Define the crease with Atlantic Blue eyeshadow and the 226. Blend Femme-fi eyeshadow with the crease shade and highlight the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying #7L eyeliner on the lower lash line and blending Aquarius eyeshadow underneath. Line the upper lash line with Blue Herizon liquidlast liner applied with the 208; then pat Electric Eel eyeshadow on top to lighten. Finish by sweeping lashes with Plushlash mascara.
For cheeks, apply Get-Away Bronze blush on the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Beachbound lipstick first, and then layer Splashing lipglass for a complementing lip.
Bright Makeup: So Blue, So, So, Blue!
I thought about doing a mix of blue and some other color (was leaning towards purple), but then I thought, “It’s been awhile since I’ve done *all* blue, hasn’t it?” and then this was created. The blues I used almost look like they’re glowing in the close-up photos, which is kind of cool!
Don’t be afraid of color — try it at home! If you don’t love it, you can always wash it off. Also a must? Make funny faces in the mirror if you’re not comfortable with wearing those bright colors. It should be fun, so have fun!
You will need the following…
- Eyes: MAC Soft Ochre Paint Pot (neutral beige base), MAC Clear Sky Blue Pigment (PRO) (matte sky blue as a base), MAC Sky Blue Eyeshadow (PRO) (sky blue), MAC Winkle Eyeshadow (matte powder blue), MAC Electric Eel Eyeshadow (matte bright blue), MAC Atlantic Blue Eyeshadow (brightened dark blue), MAC Femme-fi Eyeshadow (neutral highlighter), Urban Decay Deviant 24/7 Liner (blue), Milani Liquif’Eye Silver Eyeliner (silver), MAC Blue Herizon Liquidlast Liner (blue), Chanel Exceptionnel Mascara (black)
- Face: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (140), Laura Mercier Setting Powder
- Cheeks: MAC Prim & Proper Blush (pink-nude)
- Lips: MAC Peachstock Lipstick (peach-nude), MAC Frankly Fresh Lipglass (peach-nude)
- Brushes: 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Femme-fi = Shroom; Prim & Proper = Tenderling; Frankly Fresh = C-Thru
For eyes, start by applying Soft Ochre paint pot as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. With the 239 and water-based mixing medium (or water), apply Clear Sky Blue pigment all over the lid area. Using the 239, apply Sky Blue eyeshadow on the inner third of the eyelid. Next, apply Winkle eyeshadow on the middle third of the eyelid and lightly blend with the inner corner. Darken the outer third of the lid with Electric Eel eyeshadow with the 239, gently brushing it into the lower crease. With the 219, apply Atlantic Blue eyeshadow into the crease, and then use the 226 to soften. To finish the eyeshadow look, sweep Femme-fi eyeshadow as a highlighter on the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying Deviant eyeliner on the outer lower lash line with Silver eyeliner on the inner lash line, then Atlantic Blue eyeshadow lightly patted below the lower lash line with the 219 brush. On the upper lash line, apply Blue Herizon liquidlast liner and smudge with Atlantic Blue eyeshadow and the 219 brush. Finish by sweeping lashes with Exceptionnel mascara.
For cheeks, apply Prim & Proper blush to the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Peachstock lipstick first, and then layer Frankly Fresh lipglass for a complementing lip.
Spring Makeup: The Fresh Bloom of Spring with Purple, Green, & Blue
One of the most important things to do when doing a look with distinct colors is to be careful not to over-blend, which is really easy, because most of us put our noses to the mirror when we’re checking to make sure we did a good job on our makeup. It’s important to take a step (or three) back, look at our work, and judge it how others are going to see us. For instance, purple and green do not make a very pretty color when blended together, so it’s important to use a light hand when layering and just barely blend so there’s no line of demarcation.
You will need the following…
- Eyes: MAC Soft Ochre Paint Pot (neutral beige base), (fuchsia-purple), MAC Stars ‘n Rockets EyeshadowMAC Lucky Green Eyeshadow (medium spring-y green), MAC Moon’s Reflection Eyeshadow (gray blue), MAC Electric Eel Eyeshadow (electric blue), MAC Gorgeous Gold Eyeshadow (green-toned gold), MAC Beautiful Iris Eyeshadow (iridescent purple), MAC Femme-fi Eyeshadow (neutral highlighter), MAC Blue Herizon Liquidlast Liner (blue), Urban Decay Electric 24/7 Liner (blue-teal), Chanel Exceptionnel Mascara (black)
- Cheeks: Benefit Sugarbomb (peachy-pink)
- Lips: MAC Hue Lipstick (peachy nude), MAC Lychee Luxe Lipglass (coral)
- Brushes: 217 (blending brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 214 (smudge brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
For eyes, start by applying Soft Ochre paint pot as your eyeshadow base all over the lid with the 249. Using the 239, apply Stars ‘n Rockets eyeshadow on the inner third of the eyelid. Next, apply Lucky Green eyeshadow on the middle third of the eyelid and lightly blend with the inner corner. Darken the outer third of the lid with Moon’s Reflection eyeshadow with the 239, gently brushing it into the lower crease. Next, define the crease by applying Electric Eel eyeshadow with the 226. Lightly tap and brush Gorgeous Gold eyeshadow directly above the crease to soften. To finish the eyeshadow look, sweep Femme-fi eyeshadow as a highlighter on the brow bone. Sweep Beautiful Iris eyeshadow along the inner tearduct and above the inner crease with the 217. Bring everything together by applying Electric eyeliner on the lower lash line and Blue Herizon liquidlast liner on upper lash line and then sweeping lashes with Exceptionnel mascara.
For cheeks, apply Sugarbomb to the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Hue lipstick first, and then layer Lychee Luxe lipglass for a complementing lip.
I thought I’d use some of the new eyeshadows from MAC’s Love That Look Collection, and I figured I’d go with a pretty obvious, but fun, combination of green, blue, and teal. You can also expect a video tutorial for this look, too
P.S. – I totally realize why I rarely use liquidlast liners. If you don’t get it perfect the first time, you can never quite fix it!
You will need the following…
- Eyes: Soft Ochre paint pot (neutral beige base), True Chartreuse pigment (bright matte chartreuse base), Rated R eyeshadow (chartreuse), One-Off eyeshadow (medium green), Strike A Pose eyeshadow (dark teal-blue), Atlantic Blue eyeshadow (bright royal blue), Dreammaker eyeshadow (yellow highlighter), Make Up For Ever #17L Aqua Eyes Liner (light green), Blue Herizon liquidlast liner (blue), Plushlash mascara (black)
- Cheeks: Fleurry blush (coral-orange)
- Lips: Lollipop Loving lipstick (coral), Liberated lipglass (shimmery yellow-gold)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 214 (smudge brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 129 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Rated R = Bitter; One-Off = Kelly Green; Strike A Pose = Tilt; Dreammaker = Nylon; Fleurry = Springsheen; Lollipop Loving = CB96 (not a great dupe); Liberated = Instant Gold
Directions: Define brows using a coordinating powder shadow applied with the 266 brush. Apply Soft Ochre paint pot all over the upper lid and brow bone as the base with the 249. With the 239, apply True Chartreuse pigment with water-based mixing medium on the lower lid. On the inner lid, pack Rated R eyeshadow on using the 239. Apply One-Off eyeshadow to the middle and outer portions of the lid. Apply Strike A Pose eyeshadow to the outer third of the lid and bring into crease with the 239. Darken crease with Atlantic Blue eyeshadow using the 219. Sweep Dreammaker eyeshadow underneath the brow bone to highlight. Finish with #17L Aqua Eyes Liner on lower lash line, and Blue Herizon liquidlast liner on the upper lash line using the 208. Apply Plushlash mascara on lashes. Sweep apples of cheeks with Fleurry blush using the 129. Apply Lollipop Loving lipstick to lips, and then top with Liberated lipglass for color and shine.
Check out more photos! Continue reading →
Who remembers the Alexander McQueen collection by MAC? It was a small launch, but it had pops of bright color. These days, I regret not picking up the paint pots, but such is life. At the time, I passed on pretty much the entire collection, but this is a look I did to convince myself I didn’t need to buy anything. This look is from October 2007, for your reference. It’s hard not to love the combination of greens and blues and see why I used to do so many!
About the Look
I used Blue pigment on lid, Overgrown eyeshadow on inner lid, Shimmermoss eyeshadow on middle of lid, A Bluer Blue eyeshadow on outer lid and crease, Juxt eyeshadow above crease, Gorgeous Gold eyeshadow on brow, Blue Herizon liquidlast liner on lower lash line, Freshwater eyeshadow on outer lower lash line, Gorgeous Gold eyeshadow on inner lower lash line, and Feline kohl power on lower waterline. I wore Cantaloupe blush with Peach Haze beauty powder on cheeks with Emote blush to contour. I had Style It Up lipstick with Guava pro gloss and Reflects Bronze glitter on my lips.
See more images! Continue reading →
Quick little look! Thought I’d try a look that incorporates blue but in a subtler way for those who are a little afraid of going all-out in the blue department. The lips took it from subtle to more, though–so opt for nude or light pink lips for a truly subtle look!
It’s my Dad’s birthday (Happy 53rd!), so I’ve got some surprises in store for him (shh, he occasionally happens upon the blog, so I can’t spill the details!). It’s going to be a wickedly warm weekend here in northern California, so I’m gearing up to have some outdoor fun. What about you guys? What do you have in store for tonight and the weekend?
I used Lark About pigment (LE) on lid, Vex eyeshadow on inner lid, Ricepaper eyeshadow on middle of lid, Nylon eyeshadow on outer lid, Soft Brown eyeshadow in outer crease, Satin Taupe eyeshadow on outer crease, Freshwater eyeshadow (very lightly) in outer crease, Ricepaper eyeshadow above crease and on brow, Feline kohl power (LE) on lower lash line, Blue Herizon liquidlast liner on upper lash line, and Kanebo 38+ mascara on lashes. I had Other Worldly blush (LE) on cheeks. I wore Rockocco lipstick (LE) with Cult Fave lipglass (LE) and Apex 3D glass (LE) on my lips.
** These are recommendations for dupes based on permanent colors available — may not necessarily be identical; they are the closest I can think of!
Lark About = Phloof!; Feline = Graphblack; Other Wordly = Honour; Rockcocco = Lady Danger; Cult Fave = Cultured; Apex = Lychee Luxe (not a great dupe)
Continue reading →