MAC Wonder Woman Look Experiment: Lady Justice
This quad was a pain in the behind to use–the colors just didn’t want to stick or blend together. Very, very finnicky and difficult to work through; this was attempt number two, as well. I would have scrapped this look and never posted, because it looks awful, but I thought perhaps it would show just why I was so disappointed in these quads.
Lady Justice was a disaster–fall out everywhere and it did not want to apply smoothly whatsoever. Bold Babe was stiff and did not want to blend out. I tried adding Deep Truth towards the end, in hopes that the more pigmented shadow would help this look along but no luck. The fall out you see is after I cleaned underneath the eye–twenty minutes after.
I was going to do a subtler lip to pair with this look, but I loathed the eyes and at the very least wanted to try a fun lip combo.
You will need the following…
- Eyes: Urban Decay Primer Potion (neutral eyeshadow base), MAC Lady Justice Eyeshadow (silvery white), MAC Insurmountable Eyeshadow (pale gray-blue), MAC Deep Truth Eyeshadow (navy blue), MAC Bold Babe Eyeshadow (steel blue), Burberry Trench Eyeshadow, Urban Decay Dime 24/7 Liner (silver), MAC Themyscira Opulash Mascara (blue)
- Face: NARS Sheer Glow Foundation (Punjab), Burberry Pressed Powder (03)
- Cheeks: MAC Amazon Princess Blush Duo (cool blue-pink)
- Lips: MAC Marquise d’ Lipstick (nude), MAC Athena’s Kiss Lipglass (fuchsia), MAC Reflects Pearl Glitter (iridescent white glitter)
- Brushes: 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 222 (fluffy crease brush), 263 (angled eyeliner brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Lady Justice = Filament; Insurmountable = NARS Cleo; Bold Babe = Hourglass Prism; Amazon Princess = NARS Angelika; Marquise d’ = Sandy B; Athena’s Kiss = Pink Poodle
For eyes, start by applying Smudgeproof as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. Using the 239, apply Insurmountable eyeshadow on the lower lid. Lightly blend Bold Babe eyeshadow above the crease with the 222. Apply Deep Truth eyeshadow in the crease with the 239 held horizontally. Use Lady Justice eyeshadow on the inner tear duct to brighten. Blend Trench eyeshadow with the crease shade and highlight the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying Dime on the lower lash line. Finish by sweeping lashes with Themyscira Opulash mascara.
For cheeks, apply Amazon Princess blush on the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Marquise d’ lipstick first, then layer Athena’s Kiss lipglass for a complementing lip.
Wonder Woman Comparison “Session”
MAC Wonder Woman: Lipstick & Lipglass Comparisons & Dupes
Here are comparisons for the lipglasses and lipsticks! If I did not compare something, the most likely reason is because I do not own it.
- ATHENA’S KISS is most comparable to Magnetique, which is just a bit darker. Funtabulous is sheerer and less intense, while True Babe is brighter, lighter, and bluer-based. Fierce & Fabulous is too pink, while Hot House is significantly darker and Electric Fuchsia is purpler.
- EMANCIPATION is a little lighter than Bare Necessities, while Devilishly Stylish is a touch less pink but otherwise very similar. Feeling Dreamy is a paler variation, and Young Spark is darker.
- SECRET IDENTITY is rustier than Crescent, and it is much lighter than Liqueur. Oh Baby is too bronzy, while Kumquat is similar in feel but obviously lighter.
- WONDER WOMAN is more of a true red than Wicked Ways, which is bluer-based. Cult of cherry is a deeper red with finer shimmer. Russian Red is similar in color, but more opaque and has no shimmer. I think Venetian should be closer, but I do not own it.
- HEROINE is unlike anything I own, though I think it may compare to Strength (which I do not own). Bronze Shimmer is too coppery, Honeymoon is so light and pale in comparison, and Gel is really nothing alike.
- MARQUISE D’ is closest to Hug Me, which is a little darker, and Sandy B, which is a little pinker. Angel is far too pink, while Innocence Beware and Hue are paler and pinker.
- SPITFIRE is darker and less magenta than Petals & Peacocks, Gladiola, and Madly Magenta. Pomposity has a brighter frost with more fuchsia. Style Curve is sheerer and purpler.
MAC Wonder Woman Lipglasses: Athena’s Kiss, Emancipation, Secret Identity, Wonder Woman
MAC Wonder Woman: Lipglasses
MAC WONDER WOMAN LIPGLASS ($19.50 for 0.37 oz.) include four shades: Athena’s Kiss (bright blue fuchsia), Emancipation (pale neutral pink), Secret Identity (mid-tone copper with soft pearl), and Wonder Woman (bright red with soft pearl). All four shades are new and limited edition.
- Athena’s Kiss is a semi-opaque cool-toned fuchsia pink with white and fuchsia shimmer. It is more pigmented than Electric Fuchsia. It’s a touch darker and less creamy than True Babe.
- Emancipation is a semi-sheer, champagne-shimmered pale beige. It is similar to Feeling Dreamy, Runway Fave, more pigmented Bare Necessities.
- Secret Identity is a semi-sheer rusted orange with lighter orange shimmer. It applies rather unevenly, though. It’s a darker version of Kumquat.
- Wonder Woman is a semi-opaque true red with gold shimmer. I really, really wanted to love this, but it applied a little unevenly and didn’t look as opaque on my lips as it did when swatched. It is less blue-based compared to Wicked Ways. It is also similar to Venetian, though more pigmented.
my thoughts on the formula: MAC Lipglasses are vanlla-scented, and they are typically thick and sticky. However, because of their tackiness, they do tend to wear better and longer (four hours for me). The Wonder Woman Lipglasses feel pretty thick, but they seem slightly less tacky than is the norm.
These are jumbo-sized, and for the extra $4-5 on the price tag (lipglass is normally $14.50, but with the special packaging, they would be $15.50), you are getting over double the amount in a regular lipglass (0.17 oz.). In essence, you are paying $52.70/oz. instead of $85.29/oz.
I did have trouble with these over-sized lipglasses, though. Every time I went to pull out the applicator, a dollop of gloss would find its way on my desk, pants, or carpet. Even when I gently and slowly pulled out the wand, it still occurred. The fit is rather tight, so I suppose when you pull out the wand, the gloss has to go somewhere…
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 26/30
- Value: 8/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 3/5
final thoughts: Emancipation and Wonder Woman should suit many skin tones from light to dark, cool to warm. Athena’s Kiss is workable on most, but it does complement cooler complexions more. Secret Identity is most suitable to warmer skin tones, because of the orange. If you have thin lips, you probably won’t find the over-sized applicator so fun.
where to buy: MAC Cosmetics