Jason Wu @ NYFW Fall/Winter 2011
Jason Wu @ NYFW Fall/Winter 2011
Aveda lead stylist Odile Gilbert created a sleek and elegant gilded twist using Aveda Smooth Infusion Glossing Straightener, Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine, and Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray at the Jason Wu Fall/Winter 2011 show.
“The Jason Wu hair for this season is elegantly chic—like a piece of art. The ends of the hair are coated in 24-karat gold leaf and shaped like a feather, echoing the gold accents and feathers from the collection.” — Odile Gilbert for Aveda
- Apply Aveda Smooth Infusion Glossing Straightener to damp hair, from roots to ends, to smooth hair and add shine. Create a center part using a fine-tooth comb and blow hair dry straight. Use a flat-iron for super sleek length.
- Create a ponytail at the nape of the neck and secure with an elastic. Spray Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray generously to keep hair in place.
- Coat the hair from roots to ends with Aveda Brilliant Retexturing Gel for a lustrous, polished look.
- Divide the ponytail in half and wind the two sections together to create a twist. Secure the twist with an elastic two to three inches above the ends and mist with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray for hold.
- Pull the ends of the hair up to the back of the head so the twist loops at the neck. Use bobby pins to secure the bottom of the twist to the base—so the ends of the hair fan upwards. Add a layer of Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray.
- Use a fine-tooth comb to coax the ends of the hair into a feather shape and set against the head using Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray. Very gently apply gold leaf to only to the shaped ends with fingers and spray liberally with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray.
- Complete the look with a generous layer of Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine for a high gloss finish.
Q: What was your inspiration for this look? How did you collaborate with the designer to create the look?
“Jason’s Baroque-meets-American-sportswear collection this season includes muted black, whites, and nudes highlighted by shots of antique gold, so we wanted to create something simple and elegant—with a touch of luxury.” — Odile Gilbert for Aveda
Q: How could a woman achieve this look on her own?
“To adapt this style for real life, create a sleek pony with Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine and twist into a bun at the nape of the neck, with ends fanning up the back of the head. Clip with a bright metallic barrette or hair pin to add a shot of glamour. Spray with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray for a controlled and elegant finish.” — Odile Gilbert for Aveda
Q: What is the inspiration for your collection? What is the look you are capturing?
“My collection was inspired by Robert Polidori’s gorgeous photographs of the restoration of Versailles. I loved the juxtaposition between Versailles’ rough undersurface revealed during renovation and its opulent Baroque décor, so my clothing this season is a mix of luxuriously embellished fabrics and signature American sportswear. There are over fifteen types of laces, including a delicately falling leaf motif lace that I embroidered onto day and evening pieces and a gilded lace gown with black and white ‘gear’ palettes.” — Jason Wu