Top 10 of 2011: Eyeshadows
And finally, to finish off eyes, my favorite eyeshadows from this year!
- MAC Mega Metal Eyeshadows
- Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Intense Eyeshadows
- Le Metier de Beaute Chameleon Eyeshadow
- Bare Escentuals Urban Nature Prime Time Shadow
- Hourglass Gypsy Eyeshadow Duo
- Chanel Illusion d’Ombre
- Urban Decay Strip Eyeshadow
- MAC Surf Baby Eyeshadow
- Chanel Beige Lame Ombre Essentielle
- Sugarpill Stella Chromalust
What was your favorite eyeshadow this year?
5 Great Brown Eyeshadows
These are five brown eyeshadows that I really love — as requested by reader Sarah! There are a ton of amazing brown eyeshadows (probably one of the easiest shades to do well, from my experience), and these are just five of many.
What’s your favorite brown eyeshadow?
Bronze & Blue Look with Estee Lauder, Giorgio Armani, & Urban Decay
I’m trying be more organized and do things more methodically, which means trying to review products more timely! I wanted to test out a few products from Estee Lauder’s Bronze Goddess ’11 edition, while also trial the wear of a new tinted moisturizer (this is the fifth time I’ve worn it, though). I hope to review several of the products I tested here today and tomorrow
You will need the following…
- Eyes: Estee Lauder Pink-Teal Shadow Stick (peachy-pink/teal), Giorgio Armani #6 Eyes to Kill Intense (bronze), Urban Decay Flipside Eyeshadow (green-teal), Urban Decay Haight Eyeshadow (blue-teal), Hourglass Gypsy Eyeshadow Duo (beige), Giorgio Armani #13 Eyes to Kill Intense (black), Chanel Inimitable Intense Mascara (black)
- Face: theBalm BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer (Light/Medium), Guerlain Les Violettes Mineral Powder (03)
- Cheeks: Estee Lauder Sea Star Bronzing Blush (pink bronze)
- Lips: Guerlain Mitsouko (140) Rouge Automatique (pinked peach)
- Brushes: 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 222 (fluffy crease brush), 263 (angled eyeliner brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Pink-Teal = use an eyeshadow base (for this look); Sea Star = Bobbi Brown Nectar
For eyes, start by applying Pink-Teal shadow stick as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249–take the teal side and apply it to the lid, then apply the pink side above the crease and lightly on brow. Apply #6 eyeshadow to the inner third of the lid with the 239. Next, apply Flipside eyeshadow to the middle of the lid with the 239. Apply Haight eyeshadow to the outer third of the lid and into the crease with the 222. Use Gypsy eyeshadow to highlight the brow bone and diffuse the crease color with the 217. Apply #13 eyeshadow on the lower lash line, and then smudge with #6 eyeshadow using the 219. Finish by sweeping lashes with Inimitable Intense mascara.
For cheeks, apply Sea Star blush on the apples of the cheeks and pat towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Mitsouko lipstick for a complementing lip.
Hourglass Gypsy Eyeshadow Duo
Hourglass Gypsy Eyeshadow Duo
Hourglass Gypsy Visionaire Eyeshadow Duo ($38.00 for 0.20 oz.) is a beautiful neutral duo featuring a shimmering, warmed-up champagne beige and a rich, coppered chocolate brown. Hourglass’ Eyeshadow Duos are such an underrated and underappreciated product–the quality is absolutely phenomenal and the shades are infinitely flattering.
Selfishly, I wish they had about a dozen more duos, because their eyeshadows are easily some of the best I’ve come across–and better yet, the quality is fantastic across the range. There are no duds in their duo line-up. Soft, smooth as silk, and buttery texture paired with intense color pigmentation that glides on, blends effortlessly, and can be used wet or dry.
The $38 may seem steep, but don’t let it fool you: there are two full-sized (actually, more than that) eyeshadows inside. Each eyeshadow is 0.10 oz., which is double the average full-sized eyeshadow, for a total of 0.20 oz. The packaging is also this pewter bronze with a swivel top that reveals a mirror inside along with a pint-sized brush (with real bristles) that’s usable and not scratchy.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 30/30
- Value: 9/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 5/5
FINAL THOUGHTS: Hourglass as a brand is underrated, but their eyeshadows are easily my favorite product from the brand. There is something to be said for a brand that puts out consistently high quality products with to-die-for textures. This duo will naturally flatter warmer skin tones but they are not too warm–they will work well on cooler and neutral-toned skin, too.
WHERE TO BUY: Sephora
Ode to Hourglass Gypsy
I have raved about Hourglass’ Visionaire Eyeshadow Duos before–the texture is really top notch: buttery, soft, and easy to blend. I don’t think there’s a single thing I dislike about these duos. The price is hefty, but then they give you a ton of each color. I would love to see them put out more shades, though. Is that a con? Hm.
As you can tell from this look, I was test-driving quite a few products I’ve yet to review. Some quick notes…
- Hourglass Gpysy eyeshadow duo makes for a really easy, go-to everyday look
- Lancome Definicils Precious Cells mascara clumped up a lot, seemingly dry, so I’m going to have to check the tube and do some more testing
- NARS Sex Appeal blush barely shows up on me (NC25/NC30 skin tone, for reference), bummer!
- NARS Bougainville lipgloss is a sexy, vampy shade — in the vein of Strawberry Fields but noticeably darker
You will need the following…
- Eyes: NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base (neutral eyeshadow base), Hourglass Gypsy Eyeshadow Duo (champagne/chocolate brown), MAC Lord It Up Pearlglide Eyeliner (dark brown), Lancome Definicils Precious Cells Mascara (black)
- Face: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (140), Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder (translucent)
- Cheeks: NARS Sex Appeal Blush
- Lips: NARS Bougainville Lipgloss
- Brushes: 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
For eyes, start by applying Smudgeproof as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. Using the 239, apply the champagne eyeshadow all over the lid, blending just above the crease. Next, apply the chocolate brown eyeshadow into the crease with the 226 and blend softly above and below the crease. Lightly highlight the brow bone with the champagne eyeshadow with the 217. Bring everything together by applying Lord It Up pearlglide eyeliner on the lower lash line. Finish by sweeping lashes with Hypnose Precious Cells mascara.
For cheeks, apply Sex Appeal blush on the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Bougainville lipgloss for a complementing lip.