Look: My Christmas Makeup
I like themed makeup myself, so I felt it was only right to incorporate red and green into a look in the spirit of Christmas. One of the easiest ways to tie green and red together is by using gold, and if you want to try out a cooler-toned version of it, you could try silver. Gold is easier, just because greens tend to have subtle yellow undertones and reds easily blend to a burnished copper when they mesh with golds.
You will need the following…
- Eyes: NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base (eyeshadow primer), Inglot #418 Eyeshadow (medium-dark forest green with gold sheen), Inglot #430 Eyeshadow (deep, rich honey gold), Inglot #450 Eyeshadow (cranberry), Burberry Trench Eyeshadow (beige), Bobbi Brown Bronze/Chocolate Dual-Ended Eyeliner (bronze), Hourglass Film Noir Mascara (black)
- Face: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (130), Illamasqua Seduce Cream Blush (plum), Guerlain Les Voilettes Mineral Powder (03)
- Lips: Giorgio Armani #602 Gloss d’Armani (semi-sheer plum), Hourglass Imagine Extreme Sheen Lipgloss (gold sheen)
For eyes, I applied a light layer of NARS Smudgeproof on the lid as an eyeshadow primer from lash line to brow bone with a firm, flat brush. The first eyeshadow I applied was Inglot #430, which I applied to the upper two-thirds of the lid and just barely into crease with a small eyeshadow brush. With the edge of an eyeshadow brush, I applied Inglot #418 on the lower third of the lid, and then I went back with the previous brush to soften the edge (I always prefer to blend light into dark). With a fluffy crease brush, I applied Inglot #450 above the crease and towards the inner tear duct, following the natural shape of the crease. Next, I softened the edge with Inglot #430 lightly blended outwards. To highlight the brow, I applied Burberry Trench with a fluffy blending brush. On the lower lash line, I first applied Bobbi Brown Bronze and smudged Inglot #430 below. Finally, I applied a coat of Hourglass Film Noir to lengthen and thicken lashes.
For face, I applied Make Up For Ever HD with a circular foundation brush. I blended Illamasqua Seduce onto cheeks with fingertips and set with Guerlain Les Voilettes. For lips, I applied Giorgio Armani #602 mixed with Hourglass Imagine.
Challenge: Wear Colors You’re Afraid Of
I’m actually not technically, technically afraid of any color, but I don’t usually reach for red eyeshadows because I don’t think they work well with me and take more effort than I usually can handle to work. I’ve had the best success combining it with golds and oranges for a sunset-like eye. I remember the first time I ever wore a pinky-red eyeshadow; my mom saw me not a minute after I had finished the look and asked if something was wrong and if I had been crying.
Is there a color you’re “afraid” of? Maybe you can’t find a way to make it work or you really don’t think you can pull it off…
While I don’t think I look like I spent the past hour crying my eyes out, I didn’t love how it came out–the purple I picked for the lid color was too dark, and I think I’d opt for something with some shimmer to open up the eyes more (which is why I ended up adding a shimmery mauve to the inner tear duct area–there was just too much darkness on my eyes). So, I’m still working on finding a way to wear red eyeshadow that’s not just gold/orange/red (because that combo I can do!). I almost, almost tried green with Christmas just around the corner but held myself back! 😉
You will need the following…
- Eyes: NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base (eyeshadow primer), Inglot #325 Eyeshadow (eggplant purple), Inglot #382 Eyeshadow (red), Inglot #450 Eyeshadow (cranberry), Inglot #420 Eyeshadow (mauve), Inglot #353 Eyeshadow (beige), Make Up For Ever #7 Aqua Liner (purple), Tarina Tarantino Glitter Mist Eyelicity Glitter Eyeliner (iridescent glitter), Hourglass Film Noir Mascara (black), Bare Escentuals Buxom Lash Mascara (black)
- Face: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (130), Le Metier de Beaute Coral Nymph Cream Blush (peach-coral), Guerlain Les Voilettes Mineral Powder (03)
- Lips: Giorgio Armani #602 Gloss d’Armani (semi-sheer plum)
For eyes, I applied a light layer of NARS Smudgeproof on the lid as an eyeshadow primer from lash line to brow bone with a firm, flat brush. The first eyeshadow I applied was Inglot #450, and I used a fluffy crease brush to lay down the crease color to help provide a good blended background for the intense red I planned to use. Next, I applied Inglot #325 onto the lid with a small eyeshadow brush. With a firm, domed crease brush, I applied Inglot #382 into the crease and blended just slightly outwards so the red would also peek through with my eyes open. Using a large eyeshadow brush, I softened the crease color with Inglot #353 and applied it to the brow bone. To lighten the look, I applied Inglot #420 on the inner tear duct with a fluffy angled brush. On the lower lash line, I first applied Make Up For Ever #7 and layered Tarina Tarantino Glitter Mist on top. Finally, I applied a coat of Bare Escentuals Buxom to lengthen lashes and then thickened with Hourglass Film Noir.
For face, I applied Make Up For Ever HD with a circular foundation brush. I blended Le Metier de Beaute Coral Nymph onto cheeks with fingertips and set with Guerlain Les Voilettes. For lips, I applied Giorgio Armani #602.