The Photo Station: Where the fun happens!
The Life & Times of a Beauty Blogger
I think one of the most popular question I get via email is regarding beauty blogging: how did you get started, how do you get readers, how do you take photos, how do you balance school and blogging, and so on and so forth. I find that a lot of the answers and advice I give are redundant (which isn’t a bad thing), but I think it’s time to have a nice post to refer others to, as well as give you a more behind-the-scenes look at how life goes by here at Temptalia.
Note: I take blogging seriously–to me, even though it is a hobby and passion, I want to be the best that I can be. I’ve always been this way with my hobbies. I take great pride in what I do, particularly since it is public and once it’s on the internet, forever.
What my typical blogging day looks like…
- 6:00AM: Wake up, check e-mail and Twitter on my phone, then head to computer.
- 6:10-6:45AM: Approve comments and reply to quick questions asked via comments on the blog. (Yes, the more complicated or difficult your question, the longer the response time, since I have to either research, reference, etc. But I do try to get everything answered as quickly as possible.) Check Facebook Fan page for any questions to answer.
- 6:45-7:15AM: Read, send, and reply to email–this includes replying to pitches from brands/PR, replies to readers’ comments and questions sent via email.
- 7:15-11:00AM: Write 1-2 posts for the day’s postings. Reply to comments, questions, etc. on blog and YouTube. Either photograph/swatch products to review or crop and edit product/swatch photos so they’re ready to be used in a review.
- 11:00AM-12:30PM: Walk Mellanhead & eat lunch!
- 12:30PM-5:00PM: Try to do a look and film it as a YouTube tutorial, then hand it off to the boy for editing. Then test and write notes on various products. More photographing or editing of photos, sometimes writing a post or two. One or two days out of the week, I spent 1-2 hours watching TV with Mellan during this time.
- 5:00PM-6:00PM: Eat dinner.
- 6:00PM-11:00PM: Read, send, and reply to urgent emails. Reply to comments. Write 1-4 posts for the next day. Try to log off the computer by 11PM!
Keep in mind, this is a blogging day, which is when I don’t have school. I typically have school in the mornings on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays for 2-3 hours and then again in the evenings on Mondays and Wednesdays for another 3 hours. On days when I do have class, I will spend less time taking or editing photos. I do all my schoolwork on one day when possible. I usually take part of Friday or Saturday to spend reading next week’s assignments and doing any homework. I know how to speed read (one of the most valuable skills I have ever learned), which has helped me immensely in every aspect of my academia. My weekends are often considerably less intensive, though sometimes more so, depending on how I feel and what we do–we often visit with our friends/family on the weekend and then relax together on the other day.
My schedule is flexible and that’s how it should be. Even though the above is my approximate schedule, it is a flexible schedule. Sometimes we go out for lunch or dinner, and we don’t rush through it so I can stay on schedule. Sometimes we go for walks, head to the mall, do grocery shopping… dessert runs, coffee runs… whatever! I frequently take 5-10 minute breaks to go play and cuddle with Mellan. Sometimes I’m tired from not sleeping well and will just take a break–watch some TV, go for a walk, whatever. There are always areas where you can scale back for a day or two without anyone noticing, and it is important to allow yourself breaks and some fun when you need them, so you don’t burn out.