UD Baked, MUFE #10L, UD Lucky, MUFE #23L, UD Midnight Cowboy
Bronze/Copper Eyeliner Comparisions & Dupes
I wanted to separate my bronzes from my browns and golds, just because they do seem like a category on its own… the problem was I didn’t really have very many to compare.
- Urban Decay Baked 24/7 Liner is a warmed over bronze with flecks of copper. It is very similar to Make Up For Ever’s #10L. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #10L Aqua Eyes is a warm bronze with gold sheen. It is very similar to Urban Decay’s Baked. (Review)
- Urban Decay Lucky 24/7 Liner is a dark copper brown with sheen. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #23L Aqua Eyes is a pale champagne beige with a high sheen. It is slightly lighter than Urban Decay’s Midnight Cowboy. (Review)
- Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy 24/7Liner is a pale champagne beige with shine. It is slightly darker than Make Up For Ever #23L. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! It looks like Urban Decay Baked 24/7 Liner and Make Up For Ever #10L Aqua Eyes are dupes! The Urban Decay version seems like its copper flecks are more apparent.
DUPE ALERT! It looks like Make Up For Ever #23L Aqua Eyes and Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy 24/7 Liner are near dupes–Urban Decay’s is slightly darker, but the two are incredibly close. If you can’t shell out $92 for the entire liner set, #23L will hold you over in the meanwhile.
Formula/Wear: Both Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liners and Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Eyes wear very well on me–both last all day. Urban Decay’s formula is slightly softer, but they both glide on well.
Urban Decay Sin, NYX Yogurt, Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils vs. Urban Decay 24/7 Shadow Pencils
Though they seem rather similar on the surface and even at first glance, I think the shade ranges differ enough where there is less overlap than expected. For instance, I could not find dupes for Urban Decay’s Midnight Cowboy, Clinic, Narc, or Lit at all. However, I think that Urban Decay’s Sin and Clash definitely have dupes, while Delinquent has something similar but there is a noticeable difference in quality that makes them different.
I think that Rehab and Barracuda may also lack dupes, but I do not have the appropriate NYX shades to tell you for sure. Mercury and Wasteland may have dupes, but again, I can’t say for sure.
- Urban Decay Sin seems to be closest to NYX Yogurt, but the latter is darker and pinker.
- Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy is also closest to NYX Yogurt but I would not consider them dupes–Midnight Cowboy is more of a gilded champagne-beige without the pink of Yogurt.
- Urban Decay Clinic has no corresponding dupe in the NYX line. NYX lacks any teal shade.
- Urban Decay Narc has no corresponding dupe in the NYX line. NYX Rocky Mountain Green is a cooler, brighter green, which may be more comparable to Urban Decay Graffiti (which is available as an eyeliner).
- Urban Decay Clash is the one shade I found a strong dupe for, which was NYX Electric Blue, though the NYX version is not quite as bright and requires layering to achieve opaque color.
- Urban Decay Delinquent is similar to NYX Purple Velvet but the swatch will show you how different the pigmentation is between the two of them. Urban Decay’s is significantly more pigmented, and it is more of a jewel-tone purple with less red in its base.
- Urban Decay Lit is a softer, lighter version of NYX Pure Gold, which is much more of a coppery gold.
- Urban Decay Morphine is is a darker version of NYX Oyster, and it also has more of a purple tone, while Oyster pulls pinker.
I don’t have all of NYX’s Jumbo Eye Pencils, but based on Dusty’s swatches that he did for Temptalia back in April, here are my thoughts on some possible similarities:
- Wasteland and/or Rehab may be comparable to Iced Mocha, which looks like it runs lighter and perhaps not as dark.
- Mercury may be comparable to Pots and Pans, but it looks a little darker.
- Barracuda may be comparable to Slate, which looks like it has a bluer cast (less of a silver-gray).
What about the formulas?
Generally speaking (and based on the eight or so NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils I own), NYX has a creamier, more emollient base, which is likely why more people have experienced creasing when using them alone and/or as a base. (You can always remedy this by using an eyeshadow base underneath the pencil itself.) Keep in mind, also, that Urban Decay’s 24/7 Shadow Pencils are still very much untested by the makeup community at large–I can only report on my experience, but I have rather normal lids (neither dry or oily).
Some shades have excellent pigmentation and go on beautifully while other shades do look sheerer when swatched against Urban Decay’s. NYX take longer to dry, so you have more time to work with them and blend them, but it may also mean they have more time to settle into creases and lines on the lid. Urban Decay’s seem to take more elbow grease to remove (just using a makeup remover wipe) than NYX’s. Urban Decay also specifically calls attention to the fact that their pencils are free of parabens and mineral oil, both ingredients found in NYX’s Jumbo Eye Pencils.
Prescriptives Blue Grotto, NYX Emerald City, MUFE #20L, MUFE #12L, Stila Peacock,
NARS Kaliste, Tarina Tarantino Spark of Envy, UD Covet, UD Flipside, YSL #9, Chanel Jade
Teal Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
This is a mix of green, blue, and teal–I was going for just, but some of these look rather blue.
- Prescriptives Blue Grotto Eye Kohl is a deep teal-blue with a near matte finish. I swatched this one, even though it’s been discontinued, because I was hoping to find a dupe for it in a permanent liner so I could wear it more often in looks! NARS Kaliste gets very close in color, but NARS Eyeliner migrate so badly on me.
- NYX Emerald City Eye Pencil is a dark forest green.
- Make Up For Ever #20L Aqua Eyes is a green-teal with very fine teal shimmer. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #12L Aqua Eyes is a medium-dark blue with blue sheen. (Review)
- Stila Peacock Smudge Stick is a bright medium blue. It’s not as teal as you’d think–it definitely pulls rather blue, but it is a beautiful shade. It’s almost a royal blue. (Review)
- NARS Kaliste Eyeliner is a bluish teal with a near matte finish. It’s very similar to Prescriptives Blue Grotto. I love the color and the softness of the pencil, but it smudges so badly on me. (Review)
- Tarina Tarantino Spark of Envy Eyeliner is a medium teal with silver sparkle and reflective sheen. Fans of Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liner formula will also like Tarina Tarantino’s. (Review)
- Urban Decay Covet 24/7 Liner is a dark jewel-tone teal with a satin sheen. (Review)
- Urban Decay Flipside 24/7 Liner is a bright, light-medium blue. (Review)
- YSL #9 Eyeliner is a soft blue with a smidgen of teal. (Review)
- Chanel Jade Stylo Yeux is a green-teal with a satin sheen. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! If you have better luck with NARS Eyeliner than I do, you can dupe with NARS Kaliste Eyeliner.
Product Formulas/Wear: All of these wear all day long on me except NARS Eyeliners and YSL Eyeliners. NARS Eyeliners migrate and smudge terribly on me. I urge you to check out the NARS review and comment section, because some readers had similar experiences while others had great ones! YSL Eyeliners do some smudging and budging, too–not as much as NARS, but still not liners I would go to first.
Green Eyeliner: MAC Tealo, Korres #4, MUFE #16L, MAC Jade Way,
UD Mildew, shu uemura #07, UD Graffiti, tokidoki Sandy, MUFE #17L, CoverGirl
Green Glow, NARS Parrot Cay, Korres #12
Green Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
I’m always surprised by the sheer variety you can have within a single color. You have deep, muted, cool, warm greens. You have undertones. You have finishes. It’s just incredible how even a slight alteration to a color can change it.
- MAC Tealo Powerpoint Eye Pencil is a darkened green-based teal with a creamy matte finish.
- Korres #4 Eyeliner Pencil is a muted medium-dark green with a creamy matte finish.
- Make Up For Ever #16L Aqua Eyes is a muted medium green with green shimmer. It is a lighter version of Korres #4. (Review)
- MAC Jade Way Technakohl Liner is a dark teal with a softly blackened teal base. It is a tealer version of Urban Decay’s Mildew.
- Urban Decay Mildew 24/7 Liner is a dark forest green. It has a blacker base, and less teal and more green than MAC Jade Way. (Review)
- shu uemura ME Green 07 Drawing Pencil is a light-medium green base with a soft golden sheen.
- Urban Decay Graffiti 24/7 Liner is a medium grassy green with cool undertones. (Review)
- tokidoki Sandy Glitter Eyeliner is a medium grassy green with warmer undertones and gold glitter. It is yellower and a little brighter (plus has gold flecks) compared to Urban Decay’s Graffiti. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #17L Aqua Eyes is a pale chartreuse green with strong gold sheen. It is a much lighter, paler version of CoverGirl Green Glow. (Review)
- CoverGirl Green Glow Liquiline Blast is a bright pop of chartreuse green with a lighter chartreuse sheen. (Review)
- NARS Parrot Cay Eyeliner is a pale sea foam green with a creamy matte finish. It is similar to Korres #12 but leans greener. (Review)
- Korres #12 Eyeliner Pencil is a pale aqua with a creamy matte finish. It is similar to NARS Parrot Cay, but it leans a little bluer.
SIMILARITY ALERT! (I don’t think any of these are close enough to call a true dupe, but there are a couple that are quite similar.) The general feel of Korres #4 Eyeliner Pencil and Make Up For Ever #16L Aqua Eyes are very similar, but Korres is a shade or two darker and has less shimmer. MAC Jade Way Technakohl Liner and Urban Decay Mildew 24/7 Liner also seem similar at first glance, though MAC Jade Way has less black in its base and is tealer, while Urban Decay Mildew has a blacker base and leans greener. Make Up For Ever #17L Aqua Eyes and CoverGirl Green Glow Liquiline Blast are both chartreuse greens, but CoverGirl Green Glow is much darker and brighter–less gold. NARS Parrot Cay Eyeliner and Korres #12 Eyeliner Pencil are also similar, but NARS leans greener while Korres leans bluer (but they are close!).
Product Formulas/Wear: All of these wear all day long on me except NARS Eyeliners, which migrate and smudge terribly on me. I urge you to check out the NARS review and comment section, because some readers had similar experiences while others had great ones! I have not tested shu uemura’s formula at this time. CoverGirl tends to need a second pass for true color intensity. I’m not a fan of tokidoki’s Glitter Eyeliners, because their texture is rather rough from the gritty glitter, but they wear fine.
Khaki Eyeliner: Shiseido Black Sand, MAC Buried Treasure, Make Up For Ever #5L,
Urban Decay Stash, shu uemura ME Khaki, MAC Rosemary & Thyme, Chanel Khaki Dore,
Stila Moray, Urban Decay Mildew
Khaki & Olive Green Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
I love antique golds/tarnished greens, and as a result, I do tend to gravitate towards these shades, especially in eyeliners. I find they pull out the warmth in my hazel eyes–Urban Decay’s Stash is a total go-to liner for me. Other green shades will be compared separately.
- Shiseido Black Sand Smoothing Eyeliner is a black base with green and tarnished gold shimmer. (Review)
- MAC Buried Treasure Powerpoint Eye Pencil is a blackened olive brown with soft green and dark gold shimmer. It’s similar to Shiseido’s Black Sand, but the base is browner and less true green shimmer; seems warmer.
- Make Up For Ever #5L Aqua Eyes is a khaki green with a tarnished gold sheen. (Review)
- Urban Decay Stash 24/7 Liner is a dark tarnished gold with sheen. (Review)
- shu uemura ME Khaki 09 Drawing Pencil is a khaki green with a tarnished gold sheen. It is a hair darker than Make Up For Ever’s #5L.
- MAC Rosemary & Thyme Eye Kohl is a khaki green with antique gold shimmer and sheen. It is greener than Make Up For Ever #5L and Shu Uemura’s #09. (Review)
- Chanel Khaki Dore Crayon Yeux is a warm khaki brown with subtle gold and green hints. It is significantly less green than the others here. (Review)
- Stila Moray Smudge Stick is a deep tarnished green with antique gold shimmer and sheen. It’s most comparable to Urban Decay’s Stash, but the green base is much stronger in Moray, making them noticeably different. (Review)
- Urban Decay Mildew 24/7 Liner is a dark forest green. It almost seems like an olive green initially, but it’s far too cool and lacks the golden sheen of the rest in this comparison. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! If you like khaki green-golds, Make Up For Ever #5L Aqua Eyes, MAC Rosemary & Thyme Eye Kohl, and shu uemura’s ME Khaki 09 Drawing Pencil are all very similar. The shu shade is a little greener than the other two.
Product Formulas/Wear: I have no wear issues with any of the formulas here, with the exception of shu uemura’s, which I haven’t tested. Stila Smudge Sticks and Make Up For Ever Aqua Eye wear best on the water line for me (but I do not know whether either are tested for the water line). MAC Eye Kohls are the creamiest, with Urban Decay right behind it.
What are your favorite khaki/olive green eyeliners?
Silver Eyeliner: Milani Silver, L’Oreal HIP Silver Lightning, Make Up For Ever #8L, Urban
Decay Dime, Guerlain Silver, Urban Decay Gunmetal, CoverGirl Silver Spark, Urban Decay Uzi
Silver & Gray Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
It looks like metallic silver has been done by quite a few brands, doesn’t it? When it comes to grays, though, I don’t have nearly enough to give a particularly great comparison, but of the three darker grays I own, there are more differences between the three than with the five silver shades.
- Milani Silver Liquif’Eye Liner is a metallic silver. It is nearly identical to Urban Decay’s Dime. (Review)
- L’Oreal HIP Silver Lightning Chrome Eyeliner is a metallic silver. It is very similar to Guerlain’s Silver, and it is a little darker than the other three silver shades here. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #8L Aqua Eyes is a metallic silver. It is a little lighter than the other four silver shades here. (Review)
- Urban Decay Dime 24/7 Liner is a metallic silver. It is nearly identical to Milani’s Silver.(Review)
- Guerlain Silver Stylo Yeux is a metallic silver. It is very similar to L’Oreal HIP’s Silver Lightning; it is a little darker than the other three metallic silver shades here. (Side note: I received this relatively recently, but yet I could hardly find any information on it… anywhere.)
- Urban Decay Gunmetal 24/7 Liner is a darkened silver-gray with shimmer. (Review)
- CoverGirl Silver Spark Liquiline Blast is a bluish silver-gray. It’s similar to Gunmetal, but it is bluer and has less shimmer. (Review)
- Urban Decay Uzi 24/7 Liner is a blackened silver. I was hoping to find you a dupe for this one but no such luck. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! The first five shades are all quite similar: Milani Silver, L’Oreal HIP Silver Lightning, Make Up For Ever #8L, Urban Decay Dime, and Guerlain Silver . L’Oreal HIP Silver Lightning and Guerlain Silver is are a hue darker than the other three. Make Up For Ever #9L is the lightest of the five.
Product Formulas/Wear: I have no notable issues with wear with any of these formulas (with the exemption of Guerlain’s Stylo Yeux, which I have not tested). They all wear all day for me (tested for at least 12 hours) without budging or migrating. L’Oreal HIP and Milani are the creamiest, with Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liners following shortly after (still creamy, though). Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes are firmer but still doesn’t tug on the lash line. CoverGirl Liquiline Blasts sometimes need a second pass for true color pay off but otherwise wear fine.
What are your favorite silvers and grays?