Test-driving Dolce & Gabbana’s Fall Collection: Attempt #1
Don’t let that preview image fool you, this look did not make it past my front door. I’m sure you’re thinking, “Well, why bother showing us?” Because inevitably, I’ll be reviewing the products I used in this look, and it’s proof positive of my experience. Loved the lips, but the eyeshadows just weren’t working. They didn’t seem sheer, and they felt soft and smooth, but I couldn’t get them to stick for the life of me. I packed on three or four layers in a futile attempt to get the colors to look true-to-the-pan. A tackier base (like a creamy eyeshadow) helps, but you’ll need to get creative to get these to work.
I will also admit fully to giving up at a certain point and not even bothering to fully blend it out–everything just kept blending away into a faded, slightly muddied mess. But you know what’s funny? In reality, few people would really notice anything was amiss, especially since your eyes remain open for longer intervals than closed.
This my process when I review products, even product types I may have tried before, even from brands I enjoy. I may not always share the process (I often wear a mash up of all sorts of products in disarray, so it’s not exactly pretty, LOL!), but I had originally aimed to create and share a look around the collection in addition to testing wear and application. It didn’t work out as a look, but perhaps sharing the process will also help (and help you understand my review, which will follow shortly).
What I used…
- Eyes: NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base (neutral eyeshadow base), Dolce & Gabbana Divine Eyeshadow Quad (soft nude, medium beige, medium pink, dark purple), Dolce & Gabbana #11 Eyeliner (silvery gray), Bare Escentuals Buxom Mascara
- Face: MAC Pro Longwear Foundation (NC30), Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder (translucent)
- Cheeks: Korres #15 Natural Blush (pink-nude)
- Lips: Dolce & Gabbana Orchid Lipstick (fuchsia-purple), Dolce & Gabbana Vibrant Lipgloss (fuchsia)
- Brushes: 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
For eyes, start by applying Smudgeproof as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. Using the 239, apply the pink on the inner half of the lid and pull upwards along the inner crease. Lightly blend the medium beige eyeshadow on the outer half of the lid with the 239. Next, apply the dark purple eyeshadow into the crease with the 226, lightly blending onto the outer lid. Blend the nude eyeshadow with the crease shade and highlight the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying #11 eyeliner on the lower lash line. Finish by sweeping lashes with Buxom mascara.
For cheeks, apply #15 Natural blush on the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Orchid lipstick first, and then layer Vibrant lipgloss for a complementing lip.