Givenchy #14, MAC Prussian, Dolce & Gabbana #8, YSL #03, MUFE #3L, MAC Marine Ultra, UD Binge, Chanel Marine, tokidoki Skeletro, MUFE #15L
Dark/Navy Blue Eyeliner Comparisions & Dupes
As promised, here are navy blue pencil eyeliner comparisons!
- Givenchy #14 Magic Khol is a sheer violet-toned navy blue.
- MAC Prussian Powerpoint Eye Pencil is a darkened blue with a subtle violet edge.
- Dolce & Gabbana #8 Eyeliner is a navy blue with satin sheen. (Review)
- YSL Oriental Blue (03) Eyeliner is a medium-dark, brightened navy blue with a creamy finish. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #3L Aqua Eyes is a navy blue with satin sheen. (Review)
- MAC Marine Ultra Chromagraphic Pencil is a medium-dark ocean blue with a creamy finish. (Review)
- Urban Decay Binge 24/7 Liner is a darkened navy blue with purple tinge. (Review)
- Chanel Marine Long-Lasting Eyeliner is a deep navy blue with a black-blue base and silver shimmer. (Review)
- tokidoki Skeletro Glitter Eyeliner is a deep navy blue with a black-blue base and silver glitter. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #15L Aqua Eyes is a lightened dark blue with soft sheen. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! It appears that Dolce & Gabbana #8 Eyeliner and Make Up For Ever #3L Aqua Eyes are rather similar — possibly just the slightest difference in blue-ness.
DUPE ALERT!Both Chanel Marine Long-Lasting Eyeliner and tokidoki Skeletro Glitter Eyeliner are not far behind, just slightly darker and with a stronger blacker base, but the two themselves are quite similar. Skeletro has more glitter (whereas Marine has shimmer).
Formula/Wear: I have not tested Givenchy Magic Khol, so I cannot attest to its wear. YSL Eyeliners don’t seem to last all day on me, and Dolce & Gabbana can be hit or miss, but this particular shade lasted through a yoga session (and all day). tokidoki’s Glitter Eyeliners can be scratchy on the lash line because of the size of the glitter particles but wear fine otherwise.
CoverGirl Blue Boom, UD Deviant, Tarina Tarantino Glamorous Thief, NARS Kitty, MAC Hi-Def Cyan, Korres #13, MAC Smoothline, Milani Aqua, MUFE #7L, UD Electric, Tarina Tarantino Kanzashi, tokidoki Rondine
Blue Eyeliner Comparisions & Dupes
I think I may have more blue eyeliners than any other color in my stash. It’s definitely a close race between blue and green, though! These are just medium to light blues – I kept navy blues separate.
- CoverGirl Blue Boom Liquiline Blast is a medium-dark ocean blue. (Review)
- Urban Decay Deviant 24/7 Liner is a medium-dark ocean blue with subtle silver sparkle. (Review)
- Tarina Tarantino Glamorous Thief Dream Hyperliner is a medium-dark ocean blue with subtle silver sparkle. (Review)
- NARS Kitty Eyeliner is a medium-dark blue with a cream finish. (Review)
- MAC Hi-Def Cyan Chromagraphic Pencil is a sky blue with a cream finish. (Review)
- Korres #13 Eyeliner is a periwinkle blue with a cream finish.
- MAC Smoothline Technakohl Liner is a darkened blue-based teal with a satin sheen. It’s more aqua than blue.
- Milani Aqua Liquif’Eye Liner is a medium-dark teal. Though not included in this comparison, it is very similar to Urban Decay’s Covet. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #7L Aqua Eyes is a bright, lightened blue. (Review)
- Urban Decay Electric 24/7 Liner is a bright, lightened blue. (Review)
- Tarina Tarantino Kanzashi Dream Hyperliner is a bright, lightened blue. (Review)
- tokidoki Rondine Glitter Eyeliner is a medium sky blue with silver glitter. (Review
DUPE ALERT! I think it’s safe to say that CoverGirl Blue Boom Liquiline Blast, Urban Decay Deviant 24/7 Liner, and Tarina Tarantino Glamorous Thief Dream Hyperliner are very, very similar. I would say they are dupes, with the exception of Glamorous Thief being a smidgen darker.
DUPE ALERT! It is apparent that Make Up For Ever #7L Aqua Eyes, Urban Decay Electric 24/7 Liner, and Tarina Tarantino Kanzashi Dream Hyperliner are very, very similar.
Formula/Wear: CoverGirl Liquiline Blast and NARS Eyeliner are the only two that have any issues based on my experience. CoverGirl just requires more layering, as it is not as pigmented as the other shades here. NARS, however, I’ve had a lot of migrating issues with, but I encourage you to read the review and the comments. tokidoki Glitter Eyeliner stays on well but can be scratchy against the lash line due to the glitter particles.
UD Baked, MUFE #10L, UD Lucky, MUFE #23L, UD Midnight Cowboy
Bronze/Copper Eyeliner Comparisions & Dupes
I wanted to separate my bronzes from my browns and golds, just because they do seem like a category on its own… the problem was I didn’t really have very many to compare.
- Urban Decay Baked 24/7 Liner is a warmed over bronze with flecks of copper. It is very similar to Make Up For Ever’s #10L. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #10L Aqua Eyes is a warm bronze with gold sheen. It is very similar to Urban Decay’s Baked. (Review)
- Urban Decay Lucky 24/7 Liner is a dark copper brown with sheen. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #23L Aqua Eyes is a pale champagne beige with a high sheen. It is slightly lighter than Urban Decay’s Midnight Cowboy. (Review)
- Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy 24/7Liner is a pale champagne beige with shine. It is slightly darker than Make Up For Ever #23L. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! It looks like Urban Decay Baked 24/7 Liner and Make Up For Ever #10L Aqua Eyes are dupes! The Urban Decay version seems like its copper flecks are more apparent.
DUPE ALERT! It looks like Make Up For Ever #23L Aqua Eyes and Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy 24/7 Liner are near dupes–Urban Decay’s is slightly darker, but the two are incredibly close. If you can’t shell out $92 for the entire liner set, #23L will hold you over in the meanwhile.
Formula/Wear: Both Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liners and Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Eyes wear very well on me–both last all day. Urban Decay’s formula is slightly softer, but they both glide on well.
Urban Decay Sin, NYX Yogurt, Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils vs. Urban Decay 24/7 Shadow Pencils
Though they seem rather similar on the surface and even at first glance, I think the shade ranges differ enough where there is less overlap than expected. For instance, I could not find dupes for Urban Decay’s Midnight Cowboy, Clinic, Narc, or Lit at all. However, I think that Urban Decay’s Sin and Clash definitely have dupes, while Delinquent has something similar but there is a noticeable difference in quality that makes them different.
I think that Rehab and Barracuda may also lack dupes, but I do not have the appropriate NYX shades to tell you for sure. Mercury and Wasteland may have dupes, but again, I can’t say for sure.
- Urban Decay Sin seems to be closest to NYX Yogurt, but the latter is darker and pinker.
- Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy is also closest to NYX Yogurt but I would not consider them dupes–Midnight Cowboy is more of a gilded champagne-beige without the pink of Yogurt.
- Urban Decay Clinic has no corresponding dupe in the NYX line. NYX lacks any teal shade.
- Urban Decay Narc has no corresponding dupe in the NYX line. NYX Rocky Mountain Green is a cooler, brighter green, which may be more comparable to Urban Decay Graffiti (which is available as an eyeliner).
- Urban Decay Clash is the one shade I found a strong dupe for, which was NYX Electric Blue, though the NYX version is not quite as bright and requires layering to achieve opaque color.
- Urban Decay Delinquent is similar to NYX Purple Velvet but the swatch will show you how different the pigmentation is between the two of them. Urban Decay’s is significantly more pigmented, and it is more of a jewel-tone purple with less red in its base.
- Urban Decay Lit is a softer, lighter version of NYX Pure Gold, which is much more of a coppery gold.
- Urban Decay Morphine is is a darker version of NYX Oyster, and it also has more of a purple tone, while Oyster pulls pinker.
I don’t have all of NYX’s Jumbo Eye Pencils, but based on Dusty’s swatches that he did for Temptalia back in April, here are my thoughts on some possible similarities:
- Wasteland and/or Rehab may be comparable to Iced Mocha, which looks like it runs lighter and perhaps not as dark.
- Mercury may be comparable to Pots and Pans, but it looks a little darker.
- Barracuda may be comparable to Slate, which looks like it has a bluer cast (less of a silver-gray).
What about the formulas?
Generally speaking (and based on the eight or so NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils I own), NYX has a creamier, more emollient base, which is likely why more people have experienced creasing when using them alone and/or as a base. (You can always remedy this by using an eyeshadow base underneath the pencil itself.) Keep in mind, also, that Urban Decay’s 24/7 Shadow Pencils are still very much untested by the makeup community at large–I can only report on my experience, but I have rather normal lids (neither dry or oily).
Some shades have excellent pigmentation and go on beautifully while other shades do look sheerer when swatched against Urban Decay’s. NYX take longer to dry, so you have more time to work with them and blend them, but it may also mean they have more time to settle into creases and lines on the lid. Urban Decay’s seem to take more elbow grease to remove (just using a makeup remover wipe) than NYX’s. Urban Decay also specifically calls attention to the fact that their pencils are free of parabens and mineral oil, both ingredients found in NYX’s Jumbo Eye Pencils.
Prescriptives Blue Grotto, NYX Emerald City, MUFE #20L, MUFE #12L, Stila Peacock,
NARS Kaliste, Tarina Tarantino Spark of Envy, UD Covet, UD Flipside, YSL #9, Chanel Jade
Teal Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
This is a mix of green, blue, and teal–I was going for just, but some of these look rather blue.
- Prescriptives Blue Grotto Eye Kohl is a deep teal-blue with a near matte finish. I swatched this one, even though it’s been discontinued, because I was hoping to find a dupe for it in a permanent liner so I could wear it more often in looks! NARS Kaliste gets very close in color, but NARS Eyeliner migrate so badly on me.
- NYX Emerald City Eye Pencil is a dark forest green.
- Make Up For Ever #20L Aqua Eyes is a green-teal with very fine teal shimmer. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #12L Aqua Eyes is a medium-dark blue with blue sheen. (Review)
- Stila Peacock Smudge Stick is a bright medium blue. It’s not as teal as you’d think–it definitely pulls rather blue, but it is a beautiful shade. It’s almost a royal blue. (Review)
- NARS Kaliste Eyeliner is a bluish teal with a near matte finish. It’s very similar to Prescriptives Blue Grotto. I love the color and the softness of the pencil, but it smudges so badly on me. (Review)
- Tarina Tarantino Spark of Envy Eyeliner is a medium teal with silver sparkle and reflective sheen. Fans of Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liner formula will also like Tarina Tarantino’s. (Review)
- Urban Decay Covet 24/7 Liner is a dark jewel-tone teal with a satin sheen. (Review)
- Urban Decay Flipside 24/7 Liner is a bright, light-medium blue. (Review)
- YSL #9 Eyeliner is a soft blue with a smidgen of teal. (Review)
- Chanel Jade Stylo Yeux is a green-teal with a satin sheen. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! If you have better luck with NARS Eyeliner than I do, you can dupe with NARS Kaliste Eyeliner.
Product Formulas/Wear: All of these wear all day long on me except NARS Eyeliners and YSL Eyeliners. NARS Eyeliners migrate and smudge terribly on me. I urge you to check out the NARS review and comment section, because some readers had similar experiences while others had great ones! YSL Eyeliners do some smudging and budging, too–not as much as NARS, but still not liners I would go to first.
Black is Black is Black?
Black Eyeliner Comparisons
Are there shades of black? Indeed there are! Not every black eyeliner is the same. There are soft blacks, medium blacks, and deep blacks (and of course, variations within those categories). To try and make some sense of it all, I’m going to assign numerical ratings based on how black each liner is, with 10 being deep, dark black, 1 meaning so light that it’s almost no longer black, and 5 meaning a medium black.
- Shiseido Black Noir (BK 901) Smoothing Eyeliner Pencil has an amazing creaminess to it, and it is almost a true, deep black. (Review) 9
- MAC Black Black Chromagraphic Pencil some creaminess but has some hardness (but not in a bad way–it’s not rough on eyes at all), and it is a true dark black — leans on the warm side. (Review) 10
- MAC Feline Kohl Power is a rich, deep dark black that’s easy to smudge. It is a limited edition product, so it’s not currently available but is often repromoted. (Review) 10
- Urban Decay Perversion 24/7 Liner is a rich, deep dark black–creamy without being runny. (Review) 10
- Urban Decay Zero 24/7 Liner is a softened, medium black. It is a slightly warmer black on me. (Review) 4
- MAC Engraved Powerpoint Eye Pencil is a darkened medium black. 6
- MAC Smolder Eye Kohl is a dark black with cool leanings. 8
- MAC Graphblack Technakohl is a medium black. 5
- Milani Black Liquif’Eye Liner is a dark black with a cool pull. (Review) 8
- Stila Stingray Smudge Stick is a dark black with neutral to cool undertones. (Review) 8
- YSL #1 Eye Pencil is a rich black, almost ultra black, with a very matte finish. (Review) 9
- Bobbi Brown Black Kohl Eye Liner is a rich, glossy black. The glossiness makes it look less inky, though. (Review) 8
- Benefit BADgal Liner is a creamy, dark black with warm leanings. (Review) 8
I included review links when I had them to share, but I had some wear issues with YSL’s #1 Eyeliner, Bobbi Brown’s Black Kohl Eyeliner, and Benefit’s BADgal.
The darkest: MAC Black Black Chromagraphic Pencil, MAC Feline Kohl Power, Urban Decay Perversion 24/7 Liner
Dark: Shiseido Black Noir Smoothing Eyeliner Pencil, YSL #1 Eye Pencil
Medium-dark: MAC Smolder Eye Kohl, Milani Black Liquif’Eye Liner, Stila Stingray Smudge Stick, Bobbi Brown Black Kohl Eye Liner, Benefit BADgal Liner
Medium: MAC Engraved Powerpoint Eye Pencil, MAC Graphblack Technakohl
The lightest: Urban Decay Zero 24/7 Liner