White Eyeliners: Your Guide
In my stash, I had four matte white eyeliners and three shimmery/metallic white eyeliners, and I’ve compared them in this post. The finding? The matte white eyeliners are completely dupes of each other across all four shades, while the metallic white eyeliners are nearly dupes of each other, with one being minutely less bright. I like using white eyeliner to lighten other colors or to act as a base color when using eyeshadow on the lower lash line.
- DOLCE & GABBANA WHITE is a bright, creamy white. It is similar to the three other matte white pencils I have: MAC Pure White, MAC Fascinating, and NARS Santa Monica Blvd.
- MAC PURE WHITE is a crystal clear creamy white. It is similar to the three other matte white pencils I have: Dolce & Gabbana White, MAC Fascinating, and NARS Santa Monica Blvd.
- MAC FASCINATING is a bright white with a matte finish. It is similar to the three other matte white pencils I have: Dolce & Gabbana White, MAC Pure White, and NARS Santa Monica Blvd.
- NARS SANTA MONICA BLVD. is a pure white a matte finish. It is similar to the three other matte white pencils I have: Dolce & Gabbana White, MAC Pure White, and MAC Fascinating.
- URBAN DECAY YEYO is a silvery-white — it’s not 100% white on me, there is a little bit of silver sheen to it, but it’s close. It is very similar to Tarina Tarantino Crystal Gun; a touch starker compared to MUFE #14L.
- MAKE UP FOR EVER #14L is a brightened, metallic white. It is not quite as stark/bright compared to both UD Yeyo and Tarina Tarantino Crystal Gun–but realistically, the difference is nearly imperceptible when applied.
- TARINA TARANTINO CRYSTAL GUN is a bright, metallic-finished white. It is exactly like UD Yeyo and a touch brighter compared to MUFE #14L.
TEMPTALIA PICKS: #2 (wears the best), #5 (most pigmented, balanced between creamy/soft)
Behind-the-Series: It was my intention to provide heavy, opaque swatches to provide an accurate color comparison. Some eyeliners required one pass, some required five, and a few even more. When possible, the shade name (above) is linked to the original review so you can read more about the quality, wear, etc. of a particular eyeliner. If we’ve never done a review, there will be no link. Shades that were limited edition will be marked with “(LE)” and shades that were discontinued will be marked with “(DC)” after the color description. You can also find all comparisons on The Dupe List.
What’s your favorite white eyeliner? How do you like to use it?
Nude & Champagne Eyeliners
Nude & Champagne Eyeliners: Your Guide
Two years ago, I went through and swatched every eyeliner I owned by color, so that they could easily be compared. It’s time for a re-do, because we have so many more shades to add to our comparisons! Our first part of this on-going series is a comparison of the various nude and champagne eyeliners I have on hand. This shade is typically used on the lower lash line or water line to help brighten and open up eyes.
- BAREMINERALS 5AM is a pewter–it’s a dirty, cool-toned gold with a silvered sheen. I didn’t expect it to be similar to anything here, but it didn’t fit well with golds either.
- MAC GILDED WHITE is a warm white gold with a metallic sheen. (LE)
- MAC NC15/NW20 is a light beige/fleshy shade. It is a hair darker than NARS Rue Bonaparte.
- MAC NW25/NC30 is a darker version of NW15/NC20. Almost looks like a darkened peach. It is very similar to Givenchy #2.
- MAC NC42/NW35 is darker version of NW25/NC30. It looks a bit peachy/orange on me.
- GIVENCHY #2 is a warm, peachy beige with yellow-beige undertones and a mostly matte finish. It is comparable to MAC NW25/NC30.
- NARS RUE BONAPARTE is a soft beige with a matte finish. It is just barely lighter than MAC NC15/NW20.
- MAC I GET NO KICK is a soft champagne nude with a metallic sheen. (LE) It is ever-so-slightly warmer than MUFE #23L but very comparable to UD Midnight Cowboy.
- MAKE UP FOR EVER #23L is a shimmering golden champagne with a nearly metallic finish. This shade is slightly less warm compared to MAC I Get No Kick and UD Midnight Cowboy.
- URBAN DECAY MIDNIGHT COWBOY is a shimmering champagne peach with a subtle metallic sheen. (LE) This is most comparable to MAC I Get No Kick. An alternative to this shade would be Urban Decay’s Shadow Pencil of the same name.
TEMPTALIA PICKS: #1 (high quality), #3-6 (good formula), #9 (versatile, readily available)
Behind-the-Series: These swatches should not be used to judge the quality of an eyeliner. Some eyeliners required one pass, some required five, and a few even more. It was my intention to provide heavy, opaque swatches to provide an accurate color comparison. When possible, the shade name (above) is linked to the original review. If we’ve never done a review, there will be no link. Shades that were limited edition will be marked with “(LE)” and shades that were discontinued will be marked with “(DC)” after the color description. You can also find all comparisons on The Dupe List.
What’s your favorite champagne/nude eyeliner?
Urban Decay Naked 1 vs. Naked 2 Palette Dupes & Comparison Swatches
- Foxy doesn’t have any comparable shades in Naked 1.
- Half Baked is a repeat from Naked 1, so yes, there is a dupe–in fact, it’s 100% the same!
- Booty Call is a peachier version of Virgin (Naked 1), but they’re really, really close. It’s just slightly warmer.
- Chopper is more orange than Sidecar (Naked 1); I wouldn’t say they’re dupes, but they’re not totally different.
- Tease doesn’t have any dupes, because it’s matte, so it doesn’t really appear the same as contenders like Sin and Toasted (both from Naked 1).
- Snakebite is not as golden as Smog (Naked 1), but it’s nowhere near as dark as Darkhorse (Naked 1); however, if you mix both Smog and Darkhorse together, you get something rather similar.
- Suspect is just a little more beige compared to Sidecar (Naked 1).
- Pistol doesn’t have any comparable shades in Naked 1.
- Verve doesn’t have any comparable shades in Naked 1.
- YDK looks pretty similar to both Sidecar and Toasted (both from Naked 1), and Sidecar is closer.
- Busted is very, very similar to Hustle (Naked 1); at best, it might be a little less red-toned. It’s not like Darkhorse (Naked 1), though.
- Blackout doesn’t have any comparable shades in Naked 1.
Inglot #414, MAC Dark Indulgence, MAC She Who Dares, MAC Greengrease
MAC Semi-Precious Mineralize Eyeshadow Dupes & Comparisons
Here are some comparisons for the mineralize eyeshadows from Semi-Precious! I will have an overall/recommendations post up later today. All mineralize eyeshadows were swatched wet for comparisons.
- DARK INDULGENCE is closest to She Who Dares (limited edition), but I wouldn’t call them dupes, because Dark Indulgence is clearly green, while She Who Dares appears blacker. Both Inglot #414 and Greengrease (limited edition) are similar but lean almost teal in comparison.
- FAUX GOLD is closest to Milani Fusion, but it is significantly lighter and less red-based. Urban Decay Shag and Amber Lights don’t compare.
- QUARTZ FUSION is a touch lighter and pinker compared to Cranberry.
- JADE’S FORTUNE is a sheerer version of Inglot #451.
- GOLDEN GAZE isn’t like any of the shades I tried to compare it to (Giorgio Armani #5 and #6, Gilt by Association (limited edition)).
- HINT OF SAPPHIRE is a sheerer version of Giorgio Armani #3, and a sheerer and slightly more purple version of Inglot #434. I also compared it to Midnight Madness and Giorgio Armani #1.
- MINERAL MODE is a darker version of Urban Decay Scratch and a less pink version of both Giorgio Armani #7 and Inglot #399.
- RARE FIND is most comparable to theBalm Curvy Cami, which is just more pigmented. Inglot #445 and Azuki Bean (limited edition) were more purple.
- SMOKED RUBY is closer to Centre Stage (limited edition) than Sexpectations (limited edition), but it is really a mix of both.
- UNSURPASSABLE is a dirty version of Urban Decay Urb.
- BLUE SHEEN is a little bolder and deeper than the blues I swatched it against, but I think they are all similar enough for most readers. It’s a brighter blue comapred to both Blue Flame and She Who Dares. It’s deeper than shades like Deep Truth, Make Up For Ever #308, and Inglot #428.
- CLARITY is grayer and has multi-colored shimmer than Inglot #444, but it was the closest thing I could think of to compare it to.
MAC Fold & Tuck, MAC Geo Pink, MAC So Bad
MAC Semi-Precious Lipstick, Cremesheen Glass, Blush, and MSF Dupes & Comparisons
Phew – this took me all day to do! It’s already 10PM here, so I don’t think I will be able to get the eyeshadow comparisons up until 2 or 3AM but will work as quickly as possible to get those up for you.
- GEO PINK is closer to So Bad (limited edition) than Fold & Tuck (limited edition), as it’s more orange but obviously has much more glitter in it.
- PURE MAGNIFICENCE is more muted (almost gray) in comparison to Urban Decay Peroxide, while Boy Bait looks peach next to it.
- NATURAL FLARE doesn’t compare that well with any of the shades I pulled when swatched, but they look much closer when worn (on my lips). Part of that is based on the sheerness of Natural Flare. Utterly Posh seemed the closest but it looks noticeably redder and isn’t much of a brown. I also compared it to Burberry Cameo, Light That Fire, and Kumquat, but these were not comparable.
- LUSH AMBER is closest to Freckletone, which is just a little warmer. I also compared it to Martha, but it was not comparable.
- GEM OF ROSES is a lighter version of Chanel Mademoiselle, which appears a little redder in comparison. I also compared it against Naughty You, but it was not close enough.
- ONE OF A KIND is a lighter, sheerer version of both Estee Lauder Plum Fizz and Guerlain Galante.
- MUSKY AMETHYST is slightly darker but sheerer than Odyssey, while Make Up For Ever #13 is brighter and more opaque.
- FEELING FLUSH was closest to Band of Roses (limited edition), which appears slightly cooler-toned. I also compared it to Her Blooming Cheek, Full Fuchsia, Over Dyed, and Amazon Princess–none of these were simila.
- PRESSED AMBER was closest to Korres #15. I also compared it to Peachtwist, Darkly My Dear, and Eversun (none of them were very comparable).
- WARMTH OF CORAL ended up being comparable to Peaches, which is perhaps slightly less peach in comparison.
- PEARL is not as rosy as Honey Rose.
- ROSE QUARTZ is similar to Rhapsody in Two (limited edition), which is a little lighter. Petticoat was much, much too dark.
- GOLDSTONE might be dupeable with either the Golden Lariat or Pink Power mineralize skinfinishes (both limited edition) from Wonder Woman, depending on how you mix the trio of shades. Golden Lariat is more likely to get you there.
- CRYSTAL PINK didn’t turn out to be much like other MSFs that I have. The closest was Porcelain Pink, but it is significantly pinker and warmer in comparison. I also compared it to By Candlelight and Perfect Topping.
MAC Lightfully Bright Comparison Session
MAC Lightfully Bright Lipglass Dupes & Comparisons
As promised, here are comparison swatches for the four new and limited edition lipglasses from Lightfully Bright. These are sheerer shades, so they are easier to replicate, especially when actually worn, as their effect is subtle.
- ASTRO COOL is less pink in comparison to Lightning and Pas-de-deux, while it is a touch more lavender than She-Zam. They all look comparable on lips, with She-Zam being the closest.
- ATMOSPHERIC is similar to Like Venus, just slightly darker. It is also comparable to Rags to Riches when worn, as it is a darker pink, but it does have gold shimmer in it,so it isn’t as cool-toned. Frozen Dream is more pigmented and cooler-toned, while Lavender Wind is purpler.
- ETHEREAL is a slightly darker and more shimmery version of Chillin’, while it is a lighter version of Best of Breed. It looks more like Chillin’ when worn.
- OUTER SPACE is similar in color to Snowscene, but it is less milky in its base. Almondine has a similar milkiness but is more of a white gold.