Olive Green Eyeliners: MAC Black Karat, MAC Black Line, MAC Buried Treasure,
MAC Rosemary & Thyme, MAC Uniform, MUFE #5L, Stila Moray, shu uemura ME Khaki 09,
UD Stash, bareMinerals 10AM, TT Sparkling Ammunition, Chanel Khaki Dore,
Shiseido Black Sand, BB Hunter, D&G Stromboli
Olive Green Eyeliners: Your Guide
You might think that the color I have the most shades for is olive green, but you would be wrong, even though there are quite a few! The nice thing here is that we have more than a few dupes/similarities. I like that, because then you can select based on what formula works best for you and still get the shade you want.
- MAC Black Karat is a brownish-black with an olive-brown tone and gold shimmer. (LE)
- MAC Black Line is a black with brown undertones and an olive green shimmer. (LE)
- MAC Buried Treasure is a cool-toned brown with olive green shimmer. It is a little darker than MAC Uniform.
- MAC Rosemary & Thyme is a light-medium olive green with green shimmer. It is similar to MUFE #5L (darker) and shu uemura ME Khaki 09 (less sparkle).
- MAC Uniform is a cool-toned brown with olive gold shimmer. It is slightly lighter than MAC Buried Treasure.
- Make Up For Ever #5L is an olive green with a soft sheen. It is a touch darker than MAC Rosemary & Thyme and shu uemura ME Khaki 09.
- Stila Moray is a darkened olive green with an olive brown shimmer/sheen. It is a bit greener compared to UD Stash but not as green as bareMinerals 10AM.
- shu uemura ME Khaki 09 is a warm olive green with brown undertones. It is a touch darker than MAC Rosemary & Thyme but lighter than MUFE #5L.
- Urban Decay Stash is a darkened olive green with a subtle sheen. It is browner than Stila Moray and bareMinerals 10AM.
- bareMinerals 10AM is an olive green with strong green pigmentation compared to the other shades here. It is greener than Stila Moray, UD Stash, and TT Sparkling Ammunition.
- Tarina Tarantino Sparkling Ammunition is a darkened olive green with subtle shimmer. It is a bit lighter than Stila Moray but greener than UD Stash and browner than bareMinerals 10AM.
- Chanel Khaki Dore is a warm-toned, olive brown with gold sheen.
- Shiseido Black Sand is a green-tinged black with gold shimmer.
- Bobbi Brown Hunter is a green-tinged black–against all these other eyeliners, it is so, so dark.
- Dolce & Gabbana Stromboli is a deep black with olive shimmer.
TEMPTALIA PICKS: #6 (quality, pigmentation), #7 (pigmentation), #9 (longevity, quality), #11 (quality, pigmentation)
Behind-the-Series: It was my intention to provide heavy, opaque swatches to provide an accurate color comparison. Some eyeliners required one pass, some required five, and a few even more. When possible, the shade name (above) is linked to the original review so you can read more about the quality, wear, etc. of a particular eyeliner. If we’ve never done a review, there will be no link. Shades that were limited edition will be marked with “(LE)” and shades that were discontinued will be marked with “(DC)” after the color description. You can also find all comparisons on The Dupe List.
What’s your favorite Olive Green Eyeliner? How do you like to use it?
Chanel Khaki Dore Le Crayon Yeux ($28.00) is a stunning shade of rich, metallic golden bronze. It’s just the hue that I’m totally nuts for – that antique gold, bronze gold… anything in that family, I’m game for. Khaki Dore applies evenly, smoothly, and opaquely. It comes with its own pencil sharpener, and the liner itself is dual-ended. It has an angled sponge tip on the other end for blending/correcting.
It’s the first Chanel eyeliner I’ve tried, and I’m pleased with it. It looks really lovely in natural or smoky looks. Sometimes I’ll even wear it alone on my lower lash line with just some mascara for a very quick look for running errands. I wore it in this spring look I did few weeks ago. I’d say the highlight of this eyeliner is really how precise it is; it really does define and apply in a thin, even line without much fuss. It lasts all day on me (eight to twelve hours) without smudging, budging, or fading–always a necessity in an eyeliner.
I’m not over the moon with the formula, but I do like this shade and don’t have anything quite like it, so it’s a shade I knew I’d be drawn to. The price tag is daunting, and I don’t expect most people to make room in their budgets for this eyeliner. Surprisingly (and a little to my horror), $28 isn’t as outlandish as I thought — Dior is priced at $26, YSL is priced at $28.
With that in mind, if you had $28 laying around and wanted to give your money to Chanel, I’d recommend a lipstick or gloss over the eyeliner, just because they do those exceptionally well. This is still a quality product, but it doesn’t reign supreme over eyeliners from other brands.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 27/30
- Value: 7/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
Recommendation: If you love antique or bronzy golds like me, this might be a must for you–if the price doesn’t scare you away.
This is a quick & dirty look–seriously, like ten minutes or less–using Chanel’s spring collection. I love the lips more than the eyes, but what else is new? I think next time I use this quad, I’m going to try a shimmery gold base. Hmm.
Happy Monday!! (Yes, I’m sick and twisted… Mondays are my favorite day of the week!)
You will need the following…
- Eyes: MAC Soft Ochre paint pot (neutral beige base), Chanel Kaska Beige Eyeshadow Quad (fleshy beige, medium brown, dark plum-brown, medium tan-brown), Chanel Khaki Dore Eyeliner (antique gold), Dior DiorShow Extase Mascara (black)
- Face: Kiehl’s Tinted Moisturizer (medium)
- Cheeks: Chanel Imprevu Joues Contraste (coppery-red), Empreinte de Chanel (peachy-gold)
- Lips: Chanel Incognito Lipstick (rosy pink), Chanel Futile Glossimer (sheer, silvery pink)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 214 (smudge brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 129 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Rose Blanc = Nylon
Directions: Start by applying MAC Soft Ochre paint pot as your eyeshadow base all over the lid with the 249. Using the 239, apply the fleshy-beige eyeshadow on the inner third of the eyelid. Next, apply medium tan-brown eyeshadow on the middle third of the eyelid and lightly blend with the inner corner. Darken the outer third of the lid with the matte brown eyeshadow with the 239, gently brushing it into the lower crease. Next, define the crease by applying plum-brown eyeshadow with the 226. To finish the eyeshadow look, sweep the fleshy beige eyeshadow as a highlighter on the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying Chanel Khaki Dore Eyeliner on the lower lash line, and then sweeping lashes with Dior DiorShow Extase mascara.
For cheeks, apply Chanel Imprevu Joues Contraste to the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 129. Highlight cheeks with the 165 brush by tapping Chanel Empreinte de Chanel lightly on cheek bones.
For lips, apply Chanel Incognito Lipstick first, and then layer Chanel Futile Glossimer for a glossy look.