I really wanted to use Bobbi Brown’s Pewter Chrome Eyeshadow, and I figured I might as well incorporate her Earth Metal Palette, too… so, I did! Let me tell you one thing about pewter-colored eyeshadow: it can be difficult figuring out how to pair cheeks and lips with it!
You will need the following…
- Eyes: MAC Soft Ochre paint pot (neutral beige base), Bobbi Brown Pewter Chrome Eyeshadow (pewter shimmer), Bobbi Brown Autumn Eyeshadow (light greenish gold), Bobbi Brown Antique Gold Eyeshadow (coppery bronze), Bobbi Brown Earth Metal Eyeshadow (plummy brown), Bobbi Brown Sunset Gold Eyeshadow (melon-gold), L’Oreal HIP Silver Lightning Chrome Eyeliner (silver), L’Oreal HIP Black Shock Chrome Eyeliner (black), MAC Zoom Fast Black Lash Mascara (black)
- Face: Guerlain Parure Gold Foundation
- Cheeks: MAC Stark Naked blush (plum-berry)
- Lips: Chanel Santal Rouge Allure Laque (peachy), Guerlain Rubis Rose KissKiss Gloss (brownish plum)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 214 (smudge brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 129 (dense blush brush)
Directions: Define brows using a coordinating powder shadow applied with the 266 brush. Apply Soft Ochre paint pot all over the lid as the base with the 249. With the 239, apply Bobbi Brown Pewter eyeshadow on the inner half of the lid. Apply Bobbi Brown Autumn eyeshadow to the middle portion of the lid. On the outer third of the lid, layer on Bobbi Brown Antique Gold eyeshadow with the 239. Darken crease with Bobbi Brown Earth Metal eyeshadow using the 226. Sweep Bobbi Brown Sunset Gold eyeshadow underneath the brow bone to highlight. Finish with L’Oreal HIP Silver Lightning and Black Shock Liner (layer on Silver Lightning first, then smudge Black Shock on top) on lower lash line. Finally, smudge Bobbi Brown Pewter eyeshadow on the lower lash line with the 219. Apply a few coats of MAC Zoom Fast Black Lash mascara on lashes. Sweep apples of cheeks with MAC Stark Naked blush using the 129, then buff out color with the 182. Apply Chanel Santal Rouge Allure Laque to lips, and then top with Guerlain Rubis Rose KissKiss Gloss for color and shine.
Check out more photos! Continue reading →
Bobbi Brown Earth Metal Lip & Eye Palette ($60.00) is a new, limited edition holiday palette from Bobbi Brown’s Holiday Collection, which also features a Velvet Plum Eye Palette, Glitter Lip Balm Palette, and Chrome Eyeshadows (I mentioned those last week–love them!!).
- Autumn Shimmer Wash Eyeshadow is a slightly green-tinged golden brown with shimmer.
- Earth Metal Metallic Eyeshadow is a plummy brown with shimmer.
- Zinc Metallic Eyeshadow is a light taupe brown with kind of a silver sheen. This shade wasn’t quite as pigmented as the others (it was just so-so).
- Black Spruce Metallic Eyeshadow is a dark forest green with metallic shimmer.
- Sunset Gold Metallic Eyeshadow is a pale, light melon-y gold with light shimmer. Like Zinc, it wasn’t as pigmented the majority of the eyeshadows.
- Antique Gold Metallic Eyeshadow is a coppery bronze with a metallic sheen. (It doesn’t look like antique gold to me!)
- Paisely Rose Creamy Lip Color is a pale, peachy pink.
- Rose Garden Creamy Lip Color is a light medium yellow pink.
- Rose Bud Creamy Lip Color is a plummy-pink.
- Barefoot Shimmer Creamy Lip Color is a shimmery peach-brown.
First, as some of you know, I’m not of a fan of lip palettes. As such, I probably wouldn’t purchase this palette, just because I don’t extract any value out of the lip palette portion. I don’t think the eyeshadows are so stunning as to warrant the price tag ($60) by themselves, either. (I’d rather splurge on the Chrome Eyeshadows instead!) The lip colors, as in most lip palettes, are very sheer and don’t do much on my lips. They all kind of look the same, so this isn’t a lip palette designed to change my mind on how I feel about lip palettes in general.
I like the eyeshadows, because they’re definitely my kind of colors – earthy, metallic, and lots of gold thrown in. All of the eyeshadows felt very smooth and had a metallic look to them, and I only found pigmentation problems in two (Zinc and Sunset Gold), but the problems were minor – they just weren’t as pigmented as the majority of the palette, but there was still plenty of color pay off. I think this palette is actually a really good mix of shades that go together easily, and there’s just not much fuss when you use these.
Bottom Line: If you like the lip palette portion, I think this is a great buy. If you’re more like me and have no use for lip palettes, this is more of a skip item. I just can’t get with a palette knowing I’m not going to use half of it and still paying the full price for it, you know? I really wish they made these shades available separately or split the palette in half!
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 24/30
- Value: 9/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
Recommendation: I would rather just be able to purchase the eyeshadow portion of the palette as a set over the lip and eye combination. If you like both sides, I definitely think it’s a good buy in that instance!
Availability: Bobbi Brown, Nordstrom
See more photos and swatches… Continue reading →