5 Beautiful Brown Nail Polishes
Not taupe, not beige, but five beautiful variations on brown.
What’s your favorite brown nail polish?
Barielle Nail Lacquer: Cashmere or Loose Me, Tight Knit, Cowl of the Wild
Barielle Goes Brown for Fall
For fall, Barielle’s Style in Argyle Collection is quite literally autumnal in tone. It’s a myriad of shades you’d see in fallen leaves. It includes six new shades: Cashmere or Loose Me (soft brown with copper pearl), Tight Knit (purple brown creme), Cowl of the Wild (mushroom taupe creme), Aura Angora (royal gold creme), Wool You Marry Me? (plum brown creme), and Unraveled Rust (burnt rust creme). All but Cashmere or Loose Me (soft brown with copper pearl) are creams. Each retails for $8.
- Cashmere or Loose Me is a warmed-up red-toned medium brown with a soft sprinkle of pale gold shimmer. The shimmer is very subtle in the creamier base. Two coats.
- Tight Knit is a rich, plum-tinged brown cream. You barely need two coats, because one coat is so rich, but I did two.
- Cowl of the Wild is a medium-dark chocolate brown with a little taupe cream. Two coats.
- Aura Angora is a yellow, mustard-y cream. Two coats. It’s darker and more orange-based than Butter London’s Bumster.
- Wool You Marry Me? is a deep burgundied brown cream. This one was my favorite, because it looks very decadent in color. Two coats. This one reminded me a bit of Essie’s Sexy Divide.
- Unraveled Rust is a rich, almost molten dark chocolate brown cream. Two coats.
Barielle’s formula is on the thicker side, though it applies very evenly and never streaks. I found all shades except Cashmere or Loose Me to be nearly opaque in one coat. I ended up using two coats for all colors, but the creams are quite pigmented. These felt like they took longer to dry than the average polish, and I think that might be due to the thickness of the polish itself.
Honestly, I don’t own many brown polishes for whatever reason, so I don’t have a full range of shades to pull from for dupes. Given that Essie does a lot of creams, you may want to look there first (assuming you have a large Essie stash, of course).
These are colors you may love or hate, and they’re not your typical shades, regardless of the coordination with the season. I’m kind of digging Aura Angora and like Wool You Marry Me? the best, but none of these shades are must-haves based on my color preferences.
Any of these shades catch your eye?
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 26/30
- Value: 8/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
RECOMMENDATION: The formula is a little thick and takes a bit longer to dry, but the creams are incredibly pigmented and apply beautifully.