Jayma Mays @ 63rd Emmy Awards
Jayma Mays @ 63rd Emmy Awards – Makeup & Dress Photos
Jayma Mays as she arrives at the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards on September 18th, 2011.
Julia Stiles @ 63rd Emmy Awards
Julia Stiles @ 63rd Emmy Awards – Makeup & Dress Photos
Julia Stiles as she arrives at the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards on September 18th, 2011.
Brett Freedman created Stiles’ red carpet look.
Julia has such a great face. This is the first time I worked with her. She’s a doll. Loved her classic mermaid dress in soft pewter. To give the look a touch of edge I opted to give her a smokey eye with plum and gunmetal accents to pair with her downplayed mouth. Bold nails added crispness and a modern twist. I actually did Julia’s hair, too. I Bing’d her looks and decided she was ready for a uber-glam moment. Vintage Hollywood, Veronica Lake waves were in order. Here’s the rundown on her make-up look:
- Prep: Dermalogica oil free moisturizer for face. I use this as a primer. It’s so sheer and leave the skin with enough dewiness to ‘grab’ base.
- Body bronze: Vanitymark SUMMERSKIN spray on body glisten. Julia already had a glow of a tan. I used SUMMERSKIN to even out her strap marks (not good on strapless!) and give the skin a shimmery finish that photographs so beautifully.
- Base: Fresh Umbrian Clay in Sun Empress. I like the soft lift of color this bronzy shade gives.
- Concealer: Laura Mercier Camo. Perfect, moveable coverage. Great for under the hot lights of the red carpet. I also used around mouth and along the top of her brows to crisp up the line and make pop (subtly).
- Powder: Laura Mercier loose. Universally flattering and dodges shine beautifully without layering pigment on top of base.
- Blush: Maybelline Dream Mousse blush in Soft Plum w/ NARS South Beach cream stick over top. I like the lift of color the mousse blush gives and to amp it up I added the cream stick. South Beach is the perfect bronzy-plum shade to go with both eyes and lips. Love the light catching shimmer. Gives cheekbones depth.
- Eyeshadows: MAC. I used a base of wedge all around eye, on lid and up into crease. I then smudged Quarry over top to deepen and cool down the tone. I then added Sketch just on the lash line, top and bottom and smudged out. I applied Idol Eyes with a damp brush to add glisten and tie in the dress. On the brow bone I used Shroom to pop the tail of the brow.
- Liquid liner: Urban Decay in Revolver and Shiseido automatic pen liner in Black. I applied very close to the lash line. I wanted the touch of metallic that this liner gives. Very thin line at the base of lashes is all you need. I used the Shiseido from the mid-eye to the ends, catting out a touch to give eyes lift.
- Mascara: Benefit. They’re Real. When doing a smokey eye it’s super important to have a very black, very vivid lash line. I curled, applied 3 coats of mascara, then curler again to get ultimate pop!
- Brow: Vanitymark pencil in Blondie. Warm, taupe-y shade that gives just enough shape to brows without looking hard or ashy.
- Lips: Laura Mercier lip liner in Plumberry. I applied all over Julia’s lips to give color, definition and to lay the tone down for the lipstick that I was applying as stain, rather than full on from the lube. To give the lipstick a touch of light catching shimmer I used Elizabeth Arden’s Starlight lipstick and instructed Julia to apply with fingers after a full application of the pencil.
- Nails: OPI The One That Got Away. Love the deep burgundy/plum with a touch of metallic to keep the nails looking modern and naughty.
See dress photo!
Nina Dobrev @ 63rd Emmy Awards
Nina Dobrev @ 63rd Emmy Awards – Makeup & Dress Photos
Nina Dobrev as she arrives at the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards on September 18th, 2011.
Styled by Riawna Capri of Nine Zero One Salon using Wella Professionals. “Nina’s red Donna Karen dress basically chose this effortless look itself. The dress was so beautifully powerful therefore we wanted something not too done, loose, soft and romantic,” said Capri.
- Blow out hair with Wella Professionals Flowing Form Smoothing Balm to create lots of body and lift, and then set hair in Velcro rollers
- Take a 1 ¼ inch curling iron and curled and pin hair in horizontal sections
- Let hair set for about 20 minutes and then brush hair off to one side with a boar bristle brush
- Lift bang area with a rattail comb and spray with Wella Professionals Stay Firm Finishing Spray
- Spritz the hair with Wella Professionals Shimmer Delight Shine Spray for an all over radiant glow
Giuliana Rancic @ 63rd Emmy Awards
Giuliana Rancic @ 63rd Emmy Awards – Makeup & Dress Photos
Giuliana Rancic as she arrives at the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards on September 18th, 2011.
Kelly Osbourne @ 63rd Emmy Awards
Kelly Osbourne @ 63rd Emmy Awards – Makeup & Dress Photos
Kelly Osbourne as she arrives at the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards on September 18th, 2011.
To compliment the Jay Mendel dress in Aubergine, we decided to go for a more graphic eye, paying tribute to Sofia Loren. The brows are groomed up with clear brow set and perfected with M•A•C Eye Brows pencil in Lingering. The eyelids were softly swept with Vex Eye Shadow. Powerpoint Eye Pencil in Permaplum is smudged along the lash line and placed in the crease in a distinct V shape. Shadowy Lady Eye Shadow is pressed into the crease and blended out softly. Blacktrack Fluidline is used to create a sharp luner above and one below. Tons of Zoomlash Black Mascara and of course a #1 Lash to pump up the liner. The cheeks are contoured with Mineralize Blush in Dainty and the lips- a new Sheen Supreme Lipstick called Fashion City. Of course Blot Powder Pressed is making a guest appearance in the heat! — MAC Senior Artist John Stapleton