- Best beauty gift you’ve ever received?
- Worst beauty gift you’ve ever received?
- Favorite beauty gift you’ve given?
MAC & Mickey Contractor: Interviews and Q&As
If you’re looking for collection information, check out this post! 🙂 Otherwise, this is fun reading material for those interested in what goes on behind a collection, as well as more information about MAC’s collaborator, Mickey Contractor. All information straight from MAC HQ.
Q&A with Mickey Contractor
Mickey, how long have you been working with M·A·C?
It‟s been 32 years since I started working as a makeup artist and this is my 6th year with M·A·C. I’ve collaborated with the brand since they launched in India. M·A·C wanted to work alongside a makeup artist with credibility, experience, the ability to inspire who was also an authority of goodwill in the industry. So when they came to me and said, “We’d like you to collaborate with us, we’re opening a store in Bombay”: I thought, “This is a Godsend for me”. Working with M·A·C was an opportunity to really convey my vision. They have such incredible authority and influence in the industry and becoming a part of that was incredibly exciting to me.
Had you already been using M·A·C products?
Yes, I‟d been using M·A·C for years. I first discovered M·A·C when I was in Canada about 15 years ago where I bought Twig, Malt and Marrakech lipsticks. Those kinds of shades just weren’t available in India. In fact, so little makeup was available in India back then! I’ve been a huge fan ever since.
What’s your beauty philosophy?
For me, beauty is about a natural-looking woman who wears makeup, but wears it so cleverly that it doesn‟t actually show. She‟s also somebody who carries herself with a lot of confidence, not just someone who‟s pretty, but who also has a lot of character. For me…that defines beauty.
See lots more Q&A with Mickey, as well as product development!
Philosophy Candy Cane
Quick Review: Philosophy Candy Cane
Philosophy Candy Cane Shower Gel ($16.00 for 16 oz.) is a crisp, clean peppermint. It’s bright and crisp–I think those are the best words to describe the scent.
Philosophy Shower Gels are one of my personal favorites for body washes, because they come in an assortment of scents, with new ones each season. They lather up well and leave skin feeling clean without any tightness or dryness. I wouldn’t call these a moisturizing body wash nor do their scents linger. If you prefer your body wash to leave behind a long-lasting scent, these won’t be for you, but if you like to enjoy the scent while you shower but don’t want it to linger beyond, then these are perfect. (I belong to the latter category!) I don’t find them to lather quite as well in the hair, and they work in a pinch to clean hair, but I prefer many other shampoos over this one. It does, however, work well as a bubble bath, too–a little goes a long way.
Welcome to Swatch-all-idays! To start 2011 off on the right foot (or post, as it may be!), Temptalia is going through a backlog of products we have photographed, swatched, and often tested but in a slightly different manner. Quick reviews may be partially incomplete, such as a blush may only be swatched on the arm rather than shown on the face. It is our hope that what we are able to provide is still helpful!
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ! 🙂
- Product: 27/30
- Value: 8/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
FINAL THOUGHTS: If you are a fan of bright, crisp peppermint, this one’s for you.
WHERE TO BUY: Philosophy
NYX Decadent Lipstick
The Sultry Season: NYX Decadent Lipstick
NYX Decadent Lipstick ($4.00 for 0.14 oz.) is a red-toned brown with a creamy, slightly glossy finish. The color is rich, and definitely decadent, with full-color coverage. It is a less vampy, lighter version of NYX Very Berry Lipstick (which was anything but berry!). I get around four hours of wear with NYX’s Round Lipstick. There’s a slightly synthetic sweet scent in the tube, but I don’t notice it lingering once I’ve applied it.
Is this the right brown for you? Would you wear it?
The Sultry Season is a series of posts featuring deep, rich shades of brown, berry, plum, and wine lipsticks and lipglosses — just right for autumn — that runs through December 2010.
See photos and swatches…
Products pulled for Cham-Pale/Stylishly Yours Comparisons
MAC Stylishly Yours Dupes & Comparisons Swatches
- Dark Diversion is a burgundy berry, while Macroviolet is a blackened violet with flecks of fuchsia-violet micro-shimmer. Very different.
- Follow Your Fancy is redder than Off the Page, while Sugarpill Asylum is darker and more orange.
- Madly Personal is a little darker and less frosted than Fuchsia, while Bright Fuchsia and Bold & Brash are both much brighter, deeper, and darker–the latter has a stronger iridescent fuchsia sheen. New Fixation is redder.
- Neon Orange is slightly darker than Morange but the difference is very, very subtle.
- Something New is a glossier version of NARS Schiap, while Smashbox Flirty is a lil’ sheerer and Girl About Town is a bit darker. Trimming Talk is frostier and lighter, but Most Popular is totally different.
- Style Curve is similar to Show Orchid, which is brighter and more fuchsia, while Violetta is purpler and darker. Go For It is too purple, and Purple Rite is more plum than fuchsia. Love Forever is also similar but more fuchsia than purple.
- Play It Proper is a very pale, powdery pink, and it’s really not much like Benefit Dandelion, Shell Pearl, Porcelain Pink, or Oh So Fair. Pearl Blossom is the closest, but the texture is so different; plus it has a sheen, rather than a powdery finish.
- Too Chic is closest to NARS Albatross, which is a little yellower, while Chez Chez Lame is more beige. Benefit Dandelion is too peachy while Pearl Sunshine is significantly darker.
- Madly Magenta is significantly more purple than both Show Orchid and Love Forever.
- Movie Star Red is more pigmented but similar in color as Gesina, while Russian Red has less pink in its base.
- Tickle Me Pink is closest to Viva Glam Gaga (slightly lighter and cooler) or Snob (cooler), but it is similar to Overtime, which is a yellower pink (almost looks peachy in comparison). Unlimited looks nothing like it.
- Virgin Isle is a touch lighter than Vegas Volt, while Jazzed and Ever Hip are significantly lighter.
Do you have a question idea? Submit yours here.