Have you joined MyTemptalia yet? Register
and start having fun today!
Recycle Those Beauty Products!
- Butter London is asking you to Turn In Your Toxins. They invite you to be one of the first 500 customers to log onto www.butterlondon.com on Earth Day (today!), and you will receive a free nail lacquer of your choice. Say goodbye to formaldehyde, toluene, and DBP — dubbed “The Big 3.”
- Bond No. 9 invites you to bring any and all empty perfume bottles to Bond No. 9 stores or counters. When you recycle, you can get a free purse spray with purchase.
- MAC Cosmetics has a strong recycling program called Back to MAC, which allows you to receive a free lipstick when you turn in six empty MAC products. At freestanding stores, you may be able to get a free eyeshadow, lipstick, or lipgloss for your empties.
- Origins invites you to bring in your empty beauty products, jars, bottles, etc. of any brand, and Origins will have them sent to be recyled or used for energy recovery. As a thank you, Origins will treat you to a free sample of one of their skincare products (depending on availability).
- LUSH asks you to bring in 5 empty black pots to be recycled (and you might get a freebie, too) — thanks ChrissyCupcake!
Did we miss a brand that participates in recycling old beauty products?
Celebrate Earth Day with At-Home Natural Hair Tricks of the Trade
Leonardo Manetti of ION Studio says:
Almond oil helps to nourish hair from the inside and add shine to the outside. Try an all natural hair masque by massaging almond oil into wet hair, from the roots to the ends. Cover with a shower cap for 15-30 minutes. Shampoo twice with a clarifying shampoo and do not condition. Finish with a blow dry and the result? Gorgeous shiny and smooth hair. Repeat this process once every two weeks to work with hair’s natural oils to add health and shine.
Brewed chamomile buds are a great natural tone booster for warm blondes. Brew about 3-4 chamomile tea bags in your tea kettle, let seep for twenty minutes, and let cool down. Pour into a water bottle (recycled of course!) and keep in the shower. After shampooing and conditioning, rinse clean hair with a few squirts of the chamomile bath to add warm tones and shine to warm blonde hair. Repeat once a week for an at- home natural color remedy!
10 Ways to Help the Environment Through Beauty
Expert in green beauty, Carole Tessier, shares her top ten tips to support positive environmental change.
1. Seek out products with minimal packaging or biodegradable and botanical packaging such as boxes embedded with seeds which you can plant in your garden, as well as lipstick tubes made out of polyactic acid (a corn-based material).
2. Put your best face forward with organic, chemical-free, synthetic-free products. Avoid synthetic or petroleum derived ingredients, artificial fragrances, parabens, dyes, flavors, petrolatum, phtalates and preservatives.
3. Support companies with green business practices such as printing with eco-friendly soy-based ink or using renewable energy sources.
4. Before purchasing your beauty products, look for the USDA label. In order to be labeled “organic,” all valid certifying agencies must comply with USDA standards.
5. Utilize multi-use products such as color that can go on eyes, cheeks and lips.
Get five more tips on making your beauty routine more environmentally friendly! Continue reading →
How do you apply your lip products? Lip brush? Finger? Applicator that it comes with?
I use disposable lipgloss wands if I can!
7 Must-Have Gray/Black MAC Eyeshadows
About the Temptalia Must-Haves Series
A series of posts showcasing must-have products from MAC Cosmetics’ permanent line of products. Selections are based on quality, universality, uniqueness amongst the line, and the like. Limited edition shades are deliberately excluded to make buying easier. Readers’ comments act as a supplement to these lists of their favorites and must-haves. You can find the entire series here.
Silver Ring eyeshadow is a medium-to-dark shimmery, silver-gray color. It’s one of my favorite colors to use for a classic smokey eye!
Electra eyeshadow is a bright silver that works really well to brighten up a look, because it’s not so dark like Silver Ring.
Print eyeshadow is a deep newsprint gray. It’s a great shadow to add dimension to a look beyond just smokey eyes. I just love the smooth texture of this shadow.
Carbon eyeshadow is a must-have matte black eyeshadow. It’s pretty black, though not the blackest shadow I’ve come across–but it’s the right shade of multi-use black. It can be softened while it can also be built up into a darker black.
See three more, plus pairing recommendations! Continue reading →
Tell us why/what you love, hate, or are indifferent about… EXFOLIATORS!