Have you joined MyTemptalia yet? Register
and start having fun today!
Hey everyone! Do you remember how I participated in Crest’s Get Bright Challenge? You’ll never guess, but Crest picked me as the challenge winner! Total honor and makes me feel pretty freakin’ good about my teeth now! (The above photo is one of the final results’ photos.)
Crest Get Bright Challenge
Coastal Scents Gel Liners ($6.95 each) come in fourteen different shades ranging from white to black to peach. I’ve tried seven of them so far, and I can say that they’re all extremely pigmented. Each jar seems like it contains a decent amount of product, and it feels like glass packaging to me (frosted, too). For just under seven bucks, these are a great deal. I think these would make great bases, in addition to eye liner, especially shades like White, 24K, Peach Bellini, and Turquoise.
Of the seven I tried, Turquoise was the least impressive — it just wasn’t as bright or opaque as the other ones. It was almost too frosty for my liking; Grapevine was very similar in texture, but it was more pigmented and the purple was dead-on purple. 24K also has a shimmery finish, but it doesn’t appear overly frosty and the color pigmentation is amazing. It’s a bronzy-coppery mix.
Sky Blue is pretty much matte in finish with good pigmentation; it’s not at all what I’d say sky blue would be (I’d think lighter, bluer), but this is pretty on its own. It’s a color that you don’t come across often, so it’s definitely worth a peek. Sexy Pink is pretty, but it’s going to be harder to wear on a regular basis. It reminds me of MAC’s Stars ‘n Rockets without the duochrome. Indigo Blue was extremely pigmented, and it almost ran blue-black on me.
I do like that the black looks wet, though–it gets you a very pretty look on the eyes. One concern I had about these products was the ease of use, because the jars aren’t huge so the openings are barely big enough to get my fingers into. My fingers aren’t particularly dainty, but hopefully that gives you an indication of the product’s size. These also felt quite wet; they feel nothing like other gel liners I’ve tried (Bobbi Brown, MAC, etc.). They almost feel like extremely creamy eyeshadows if I had to compare it to another texture.
If you’re placing an order at Coastal Scents any time soon, you might want to pick up one or two of the Gel Liners to see for yourself! For the price, they were worth trying, and I might use them occasionally when I need a brighter liner.
See product photos and swatches! Continue reading →
What five beauty tips would you give to a beginner? Share your suggestions!
I think I did a post on this before, actually! I know my #1 tip would be to use an eyeshadow base!
Beauty Brands Go Green & Natural
Looking for some beauty products that are made with more natural ingredients or are more earth-friendly? Here are brands and their products to consider!
- Yes to Carrots (A personal favorite brand!) offers a full line of body and skin care with attention paid to using natural ingredients. I am particularly fond of their body butters and lip butters.
- Alba is beauty care line that offers products that use pure plant proteins, natural botanicals, vitamins, and sea enzyles, plus inspiration from Hawaiian islands, to create their range of products.
- Giovanni is all about PureOrganic Technology, patented by Giovanni. I like this particularly brand for its availability in mass retailers, which makes it easier to acquire!
- Eco-Tools (Available at Target) is an eco-friendly line of cosmetic tools at low prices without sacrificing quality.
- LUSH — A cult favorite when it comes to beautifying youself in a more earth-friendly way.
- vedaPURE — This is a fabulous line for those concerned with chemicals in their beauty products, especially moms-to-be. (Also, if you’re already a mom with little ones, offers several safe and natural soaps and hand washes for kids.)
- Revolution Organics — Check out their new Freedom Glow Beauty Balm and Freedom Glosses! (Also, their Balm is fantastic. Just ran out of mine after several months!)
- Suki is a line uses 100% pure and organic formulas. It supports fair trade, organics, and local soucing while remaining cruelty free. They avoid leaving any carbon footprint by making products fresh by hand. They use glass packaging instead of plastic packaging to reduce waste. Even their packaging and shipping materials use organic cornstarch peanuts and unbleached newsprint papers.
- Josie Maran is offering an Earth Day Kit, which contains a deluxe sample of Argan Oil, Daring Plumping Lip Gloss, Sunrise Cream Blush, Black Mascara, and Black eyeliner for $48.00.
- Sally Hansen is now offering eco-friendly nail boards for just under a dollar each. It is made with recycled and natural materials, like a pressed paper and coating of natural mineral abrasives as opposed to artificial abrasives and layers of foam.
- Rimmel London recently launched their Lasting Finish Mineral Powder Foundation. It is designed to be “makeup-as-skincare.” It is a sheer but buildable formula that goes on smoothly.
- L’Oreal’s EverPure line of hair products are 100% vegan and sulfate free.
Try shopping at eco-friendly (and eco-chic!) boutiques like Vert for your green beauty needs.
Beauty Brands Are Giving Back for Earth Day
- Amala is a 100% certified organic skin and body care line. The line is formulated using only whole plant ingredients with each custom distilled to manage its potency. All ingredients are ethically harvested from fair-trade farm partners around the world. You won’t find chemical perservatives, petrochemicals, parabens, or genetically modified ingredients in their products. 5% of net profits are returned to Amala’s fair trade growers and sustainability projects each year. (I am, thus far, LOVING their line!)
- Zirh is donating 5% of all online sales during the month of April to The Elephant Sanctuary, which is a non-profit organization that provides a haven for endangered African and Asian elephants just outside of Nashville, Tennessee.
- LUSH is giving away complimentary Seed Bombs from April 13th through the 26th. Each bomb contains soil,s eeds, water, and clay. When planted, flowers native to North America will start to grow.
- Jurlique is offering a travel-size sample of Purely Age-Defying Eye Cream, Purely Age-Defying Facial Serum, or an Herbal Recovery Neck Serum with the donation of three empty Jurlique products to a local Jurlique store from April 18th through April 25th.
- Smashbox Cosmetics is pitching in at The Surfrider Foundation’s Santa Monica Beach cleanup on Wednesday, April 22nd from 9 to 11AM. You can join them in helping to keep California’s coastline clean. They will also have Trees for the Future plant a tree for every Mother Earth Palette purchased.
- Kiehl’s is celebrating Earth Day by partnering with celebrities to help raise funds for Waterkeeper Alliance. They partnered with Adrian Grenier, Erykah Badu, Kelly Slater, and a team of students from Parsons The New School for Design to create four limited edition bottles of Superbly Restorative Argan Body Lotion, with 100% of net proceeds to benefit Waterkeeper Alliance. Visit www.kiehlsgivesback.com to learn more.
- Paul Mitchell Schools are offering hair cuts for $10 to 15 from April 20th through April 24th, and the schools will donate hair clippings to Matter of Trust, an organization that creates absorbent hair mats to soak up oil at oil spills across the country.
- Neocutis Skin Care is donating $1 to the Sturge-Weber Foundation for each unit sold throughout the entire month of May.
- Lisa Hoffman Beauty is giving 20% of the proceeds from the Spa Bath and Spa Shower Collections to the Rainforest foundation.
- Fresh is offering a 20% discount on select best-selling items that contain their iconic, natural ingredients. They will also donate 10% of the day’s in-store and online proceeds to The Climate Group.
If you were using MAC Shadowy Lady eyeshadow?, what look would you create with it? What shadows would you use? What would you use on cheeks? Anything added to the lips?
Create a look using whatever you want, as long as you include today’s look book product! Feel free to share links to photos of your look(s) using it in the comments.