How to Apply Blush
Applying blush at first can be tricky, but it’s all about being patient and using the right tools. You want to make sure you’re using the right blush brush — preferably, you want a brush that’s dense enough to pick up color but still fluffy enough to deposit it softly. You may also want a buffing brush on standby for any mistakes!
- Step 1. Finish prepping the skin and let all products sink in/dry. Whether you’re just wearing moisturizer, tinted moisturizer, or foundation, you want all these products to be applied before you to get to blush. (Though, you can always switch it up and wear an intense blusher before foundation–but after moisturizer–and then lightly apply foundation on top!)
- Step 2. Taking a slightly fluffy, dense brush, gently tap it into your blush compact. I usually do three or four taps and then a sweep.
- Step 3. SMILE LIKE YOU JUST WON A BAJILLION DOLLARS! The easiest way to find the apples of your cheeks is to smile really big–you’ll see them pop out at you as compared to when your face is relaxed.
- Step 4. Gently tap the blush brush onto the apples of your cheek, starting from the roundest portion and tapping lightly upwards and towards your temple.
- Step 5. Do a sweep–like a Nike “swoosh”–from the apple to the temple to diffuse and blend the color together.
- Step 6. If it’s not intense enough, rinse and repeat. If it’s too bright, you can either lightly sweep upwards with your blush brush or use a buffing brush to buff some of the color out. You can also layer translucent or colored loose powder on top to help soften the color (and this will also help to set your makeup).