This is an advertorial written by Glam Beauty Experts and sponsored by Mars FLING™.
Sample Sales Going on Today…
Basq is on sale at HauteLook! (Starts 8AM PST)
The link above is an invite-link, which is a referral link. HauteLook has opened up membership, so you are free to sign up on your own, if you wish!
The Best of the Best, Volume #003
How are you doing this Friday morning? I hope you’ve all had a good week! The weekend’s just around the bend, and I’m excited to get a few days to relax–even it’s only a lil’ bit! I think I just might spend it reading some books I’ve been putting off. How are you spending your weekend?
This Week’s 5 Most Popular Posts
- MAC Style Black Photos are still the most buzzed about post on Temptalia this week. Just a few more weeks, can you taste the Volcanic Ash?!
- Urban Decay Holiday Collection has a lot of cute sets and the new Book of Shadows, Vol. 2 eyeshadow palette. Oh, and did I mention there are FOUR… yes, FOUR! new shades of 24/7 liners?
- Stila Cobalt Clutch & Purple Pumps Smudge Pots Review really caught your attention with those bold hues!
- Stila All Doll’d Up Eyeshadow Palette Review is easily one of my favorite products for the entire year so far. So pigmented!
- Look: MAC Photorealism was a little look put together using (mostly) the Photorealism eyeshadow quad.
This Week’s 5 Most Discussed Posts
- Ask Temptalia Session #016 is, I suppose, kind of a no brainer, since it practically begs you to leave comments 😛 As always, even if you come in late, I do answer any and all questions I get (that goes for *all* posts, actually), but I may not be as timely as when I run the session.
- Best Red Lipstick as given by you! Lots of great shades mentioned…
- Stila All Doll’d Up Eyeshadow Palette Review was not only a popular most, but it was one that inspired quite a bit of commentary!
- How do you groom your brows? – we asked, you answered!
- All About Makeup Remover Wipes was a rant & rave session where many of you told us your favorite (and least favorite) brands of makeup remover wipes, but also what you loved/hates about the product itself.
What are your holy grail/go-to body products? Moisturizers, scrubs, whatever!
LOVE Philosophy Shower Gels. They smell so delish! I also alternate between a lot of sugar-based scrubs – love Carol’s Daughter!
Close to Real, High Def, Resolutely Red Lipsticks
Review: MAC Cosmetics In High Def Collection
Just launched, MAC’s In High Def Collection (see full collection details here) contains several hand-picked products from the existing line as well as some new products that are designed to work well in the high definition environment. There are four new shades of lipstick: Close to Real, High Def, Resolutely Red, and Sharp Focus. The rest of the collection is permanent, existing products (Face & Body Foundation and Mineralize Skinfinish Natural).
Lipstick ($14.00 U.S. / $16.50 CDN)
- Close to Real is a pale, frosty peach. Despite having a lustre finish, it doesn’t feel like one to me. It feels much more like a frost lipstick, and it definitely looks like it on the lips. I found this one to seem to grab onto every imperfection on your lips–even after I had exfoliated–it just didn’t look very flattering. The color is really pale, so I’d vote on using this more as a layering shade than standalone.
- High Def is a creamy, opaque pinky-coral color. It has a slight sheen, but it doesn’t contain any shimmer. On my lips, it doesn’t read very much coral (unfortunately, as MAC lacks corals!), but it’s still pretty. It looks more like my-lips-but-better with a bit more pinky-brown.
- Resolutely Red is a mostly opaque, lightly creamy shade of reddish-wine. It’s not super bold or bright, so it’s more of a wearable red. It’s not too cool or warm, either, which I definitely like. It has a glossy look to it when applied.
- Sharp Focus is semi-opaque muted, browned-down red with almost a bit of plum undertone. It’s almost like a vampy lip color, yet not really. If you’ve wanted to go for a darker lip, but have found vampy shades too dark too fast for you, this might be one way to start.
Face & Body Foundation
Face & Body Foundation is a water-based sheer to light-medium coverage liquid foundation. MAC says that it is water-resistant, and I’d agree that it holds up pretty well under water, though I’ve never say, showered, in it either. (I’m now curious, so I may try it!) It has a slightly dewy finish, which may be too much for those with really oily skin. It’s a solid foundation, and I actually used this as my go-to for maybe six months or so a year or two ago. I liked it a lot during summer, because it was very lightweight and held up under the summer heat.
Mineralize Skinfinish Natural
This is a baked mineral-based powder that has a near matte finish (there is just a slight, slight bit of luminous-ness to it) — MAC calls the finish “natural-matte.” I personally can’t wear MSFN due to the fact that it breaks me out, but I know it is an often raved about products for others. I wish I could say I experienced the same amazingness (despite breakouts), but it just didn’t wow me. It’s a great setting powder, and it can be used as a very light, sheer foundation (I recommend the 189 brush for foundation application). Many like it because it gives their face a sheer, even look. I’m sure plenty of you have tried this, so please do share your thoughts for others who haven’t!
Recommendation: This collection left me unexcited, to be honest. The lipsticks were so-so, but I didn’t feel like there weren’t already as good, if not better, options available in the permanent line. I have no problem with MAC pointing out, “Hey! We have products that look great for HD work already!” I’ve always liked Face & Body, so I do recommend that if you haven’t checked it out. But overall, it’s just not a very exciting collection, yeah? Bring on Fall Trend!
Availability: MAC Cosmetics
See swatches… Continue reading →
Best Red Lipstick…
What brand/product wins this category? Any particular reason it wins?