Here’s a “first impressions” video of some of the pieces from Bobbi Brown’s Black Velvet Collection! I’ve swatched and shown all the shades in the video, and over the next few days, I’ll be reviewing everything in full. Already did the Creamy Lip Colors today!
Bobbi Brown Black Velvet Look
Here’s a quick look I did using some of the new shades from Bobbi Brown’s Black Velvet Collection! I wish the photos turned out better, because I actually liked how this look worked out in the end! It was this peek of smoky eyes that wasn’t overwhelming but not quite subtle either!
I’m so mad — my favorite foundation, Guerlain Parure Gold, is now too dark for me! Here’s hoping that #02 matches… love that foundation so much!
You will need the following…
- Eyes: NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base (neutral eyeshadow base), Bobbi Brown Black Berry Eyeshadow (blackened burgundy), Bobbi Brown Black Velvet Eyeshadow (glittery blackened purple), Burberry Trench Eyeshadow (highlighter), Bobbi Brown Black Plum Eye Kohl (dark plum), Chanel Inimitable Intense Mascara (black)
- Face: Guerlain Parure Gold Foundation (03), Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder (translucent)
- Cheeks: Rock & Republic Tease Blush (cool pink)
- Lips: Bobbi Brown Black Chocolate Lip Gloss (sheer burgundy)
- Brushes: 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
For eyes, start by applying Smudgeproof as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. Using the 239, apply Black Berry eyeshadow on the lower third of the lid patted horizontally above the upper lash line. Lightly blend Black Velvet eyeshadow across the lid and slightly above the crease with the 239. Blend Trench eyeshadow with the crease shade and highlight the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying Black Plum on the lower lash line. Finish by sweeping lashes with Inimitable Intense mascara.
For cheeks, apply Tease blush on the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Black Chocolate lipgloss for a complementing lip.
Check out more photos!
- What was your favorite beauty purchase from August?
- What was your least favorite beauty purchase from August?
- What do you regret not purchasing (beauty-wise) in August?
Win MAC Jade Dragon Nail Lacquer!
One (1) lucky winner will receive the limited edition MAC Jade Dragon Nail Lacquer from MAC’s Nail Trend F/W ’10 Collection! (Retail value $13.00!)
RULES: All entries must be submitted by September 7th, 2010 at 11:59 PM PST. This contest is open to U.S. readers as pursuant to your local state/country’s laws (unfortunately, many countries have strict regulations regarding the shipping of nail polish). Winner will be chosen randomly and notified via e-mail. This post will be updated with the winner once the winner confirms.
Congratulations to Michelle A.!
Bobbi Brown’s Black Velvet Collection is a surprising mix of colors from the brand–it’s very classic in a dark, sultry kind of way. It’s not what I’d expect from Bobbi Brown, yet it’s exactly in line with the brand’s image. There are two new shades of the Creamy Lip Color ($22.00 for 0.12 oz.): Black Cherry (deep red wine) and Black Mahogany (black brown).
The Creamy Lip Color formula is moisturizing without sliding off in an hour–I usually get three to four hours of wear, but these darker shades seem to pull closer to four to five hours, and I did find Black Cherry left a residual stain behind. This formula makes lips look a little fuller from the glossiness and “wet” finish.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
RECOMMENDATION: If you have lips on the drier side, this is a nice formula that allows you to wear lipstick without emphasizing dryness.
AVAILABILITY: Bobbi Brown