The Summer Season is a series of posts featuring bright, vibrant shades of coral, orange, and pink lipsticks and lipglosses — all perfect for a summer of fun — that runs through July 2010.
Out of Chanel’s ultra exclusive Noir et Or Collection, Ligne et Ombre de Chanel in Jet-Gold ($45.00) emerges. While not exactly groundbreaking in terms of color, it’s extremely fitting to the collection. It’s a matte black cake eyeliner paired with a golden peach flecked eyeshadow.
The black side is not meant to be used dry–it needs to be used wet so it can “activate.” I just gave the brush the tiniest bit of wetness, and I was already able to get a nice, intense black out of it. The gold, while it can be worn dry, also looks and wears better wet–and I like that with Chanel shadows, I can use them wet without leaving a wet spot behind. (Similarly, the gold would adhere and look more uniform used over a base rather than dry, since it is so shimmery.)
When used as an eyeliner, the black lasts for hours on me. I didn’t have any fading, smudging, or migration after eight hours of wear on my lower lash line (not my waterline, to be clear). If you really wanted, you could definitely use it with a brush to darken up the crease or any shadow you’re wearing, but it doesn’t excel at that (and again, it’s supposed to be used as an eyeliner).
It’s a fun product, but there’s nothing so standout about it that it’s necessarily worth hunting down and forking over $45 for. Chanel and luxury makeup collectors will likely enjoy it, but I think for others, it’s not going to knock your socks off–I’d say grab an eyeshadow duo, lipstick, or gloss instead (or even an eyeshadow quad, since this is just a little less than one!). I think if they made the gold a metallic cream finish, it could have gotten really interesting. It may not have been the most wearable, but it would have certainly played into the collection’s theme just a bit more.
This Week’s Sales for April 19th, 2010
- Benefit: Free shipping over purchases of $50+, use code PRETTY50. Free international shipping with purchases of $115+, use code WORLD115.
- Bliss: 15% off all Bliss and Remede products with code MAY10, expires 4/26/2010. Get 20% off all body products, waxing, and cellulite with code SUN20 through April 18th. Get a free problem salved & free shipping with any ingrown eliminating pads purchase, use code POTM410, expires 4/30/2010. Free Bliss gift bag with $50+ purchase with code WANTIT, expires 4/30/2010.
- Blue Mercury: Free shipping on all orders over $50 with code FREESHIP, plus 3 free beauty samples with every order.
- Bobbi Brown: Get a full-size Indigo Ink Long-wear Gel Eyeliner with any $65+ order with code LAST5. Expires 6/29/2010. Free full-size Nougat Lip Gloss with $65+ order with code SHINE5. Expires 6/29/2010.
- C.O. Bigelow: 10% off any purchase over $50 with code BIG10. Expires 6/30/2010.
- The Container Store: Spring Organization Sale begins!
- CVS: Buy one, get one free on Rimmel. Buy one, get one 50% off Maybelline (face products). 40% off Physicians Formula.
- E.L.F.: Buy 1, get 1 free from the Sugar Kiss collection.
- Juara Skincare: 10% off all orders with code APRIL10, valid thru April 30th.
- MAC Cosmetics: Free shipping with code PAPIER.
- Noodle & Boo: Buy Opulent Body Butter and get 50% off Bubbling Exfoliating with code exfoliant50, expires 4/30/2010. Buy 1 Play-Day Sunscreen, get 1 Free with code sunbunny, expires 4/30/2010.
- Nordstrom: Current list of Gifts with Purchase. Estee Lauder GWP ($110 value) with any $39.50 Estee Lauder purchase!
- Rite Aid: Buy one, get one 50% off of NYC, Physicians Formula, Maybelline (eye products only), Prestige, and CoverGirl. Neutrogena is 40% off.
- Saks Fifth Avenue: Friends & Family sale begins April 20th through April 25th — online and in-store. 20% off most things, 10% off beauty. Use code FRIEND3.
- Smashbox: Take $25 off any order or $100+ with code SAVE25.
- Tarte: 20% off and free shipping over $40 with code TARTE44. Expires 4/30/2010.
- Urban Decay: 30% off and free shipping over $50 with code 1SFnF. Expires 4/19/2010.
Sephora: Get 10 free skincare samples with any order while supplies last with code 10FREE.
- Beauty Insiders save 15% off from 4/12 to 4/19 with code BI15.
- Free Shiseido Serum Sample with code SUPERSERUM.
- Free Korres Primer Sample with any online order with code OAKPRIME.
- Get samples of all five HerCut styling products with any online order with code HAIRPICK.
- Get a free Kim Kardashian tote with $45+ on Kim Kardashian’s fragrance with code KARDASHIAN.
- Free bliss Hot Salt Scrub when you buy the Bliss Bikini Perfect Deluxe trimmer with code HOTSALT.
- Get Clarins Cleanser for $9 (2.6 oz., regularly $17), no code necessary.
- Buy AmorePacific’s Best Selling Kit ($50), get a free deluxe-sized Skin Energy sample with code AMORESKIN.
This Week’s Topic: ROLLERBALL PERFUME!
Your Mission: Tell us what you love, hate, or are otherwise indifferent to about rollerball perfume products and all that those entail.
Work-Safe Makeup: Quick Neutrals
Here’s a super simple, quick, easy, work-safe, everyday… yada yada kind of look. It’s quick & dirty but always looks classic. You can change-up the lip to lighten or amplify the look, too
You will need the following…
- Eyes: Estee Lauder Sand Shimmer Liquid Eyeshadow (champagne), MAC Prepped for Glamour Eyeshadow (reddish taupe), NARS Black Moon Eyeliner Pencil (black-brown), tokidoki Unicorno Brillante Glitter Eyeliner (white-gold), MAC Plushlash Mascara (black)
- Face: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (140)
- Cheeks: Guerlain Blonde Bronzer (reddish bronzer)
- Lips: Guerlain Ebene (06) Terracotta Gloss (darkened red bronze)
- Brushes: 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: N/A
For eyes, start by applying Sand Shimmer as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. Darken the outer third of the lid with Prepped for Glamour eyeshadow with the 239, gently brushing it into the lower crease. Bring everything together by applying Black Moon eyeliner on the lower lash line and Unicorno eyeliner lightly below. Finish by sweeping lashes with Plushlash mascara.
For cheeks, apply Blonde Halee bronzer to the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Ebene lipgloss for a complementing lip.
Check out more photos!
I bought two with my Sephora V.I.B. order, because I had a lot of readers request a review of these, so I figured now would be a good time to try I picked Mostro and Ciao Ciao as the two to try–I can never resist a green, and well, I’m always game to try anything periwinkle, too.
Despite not loving either shade much, I love the applicator… like a TON. I am no pro at lining my upper lash line (because lining the area tends to cause my eyes to swell up or itch, so I don’t do it often!), but these made it a cinch. They’re stiff but not hard, and they deliver opaque color the entire time you’re lining. I can see that those who love really, really thin lining not loving the applicator, though. You can get a nice line that’s not ridiculously thick for sure, but you won’t be able to get a pencil-thin line.
It actually made me sad that I wasn’t into these colors at all but was totally crushing on the applicator. I might look out at the other shades to see if they are less muted. They’re supposed to be “bold shades,” but they just seem a little on the subtle/light side to me. It’s like they had so much more room to pop, but they didn’t go there.
The liner also lasts all day without fading, transferring, or smudging. I wore it on my lower lash line and across my lid (like a diagonal line across part of my lid and crease) to test, and I had no movement whatsoever. I’m really hoping to fall in love with one of the other shades (I’m thinking about trying the black one next), though, since it is such a great product.