Urban Decay Purple Haze Eyeshadow ($17.00 for 0.05 oz.) is a vibrant grape purple with a matte finish. It’s officially described as a “bright purple.” Urban Decay’s matte eyeshadows are definitely underrated, and it’s a shame that the brand doesn’t include more of their matte formula in palettes and seasonal launches. It is similar to MAC Vibrant Grape but purpler and more vibrant. Urban Decay’s matte formula is really smooth and richly pigmented without being chalky or difficult to blend. Purple Haze is nice, with just a little excess powdery dust when applied, but it blends out nicely.
What We’re Wearing, Vol. 011
I honestly didn’t love anything I did this week 🙁
What was your favorite look you wore this week?
Milani Blue My Mind Baked Metallic Eyeshadow ($7.49 for 0.05 oz.) is a medium-dark navy blue with a shimmery, metallic finish. Milani’s Baked Metallic Eyeshadows can be used wet or dry–wet for more intensity, dry for more luminosity (which, given the context, must mean sheerer color).
Last time I reviewed Milani eyeshadows, I found them to be so lacking that they made me rather angry. In fact, Blue My Mind resembles Blue Lagoon in the pan color, but thankfully, it’s infinitely better. I was really hesitant to try these, because I feared for the worst, but I’m glad I moved past that fear.
The texture is fairly smooth and soft, but when applied, there is a touch of fall out. It’s not unforgivable, but I did notice it. Given the nature of baked eyeshadows, Blue My Mind does apply smoother and more evenly when applied wet than dry, but still, it is quite pigmented when used dry.
I do wish they’d ditch the sponge/brush applicator, though, because the bristles are splayed and scratchy, while the sponge is thin and surprisingly scratchy. I did like the switch to a black interior, over the champagne gold from the Runway Eyeshadows. The lid is also quite secure, and I had to pry it open with my nails.
Lancome Bronze Azure Collection for Summer 2011
Color Design Eyeshadow Quad ($42.00)
- Heat Wave A warm palette with shades of soft gold, peach, copper and brown (Limited Edition)
- Molten Shore A cool palette with shades of beige, teal, metallic plum and brown (Limited Edition)
Artliner Waterproof ($29.00)
- Beach Gem Metallic teal (Limited Edition)
- Scorched Brown with gold sparkle (Limited Edition)
Color Fever Gloss ($26.00)
- Hibis-Kiss Bright sparkle pink (Limited Edition)
- Heatstroke Spiced pink-y taupe with silver flecks (Limited Edition)
- Paradise Peach Soft peach with golden shmmer (Limited Edition)
Color Design Lipstick ($22.00)
- Femme-Fire Medium pink (Limited Edition)
- Hot Nights Bright sparkle pink (Limited Edition)
- Coral Goddess Sheen pale peach (Limited Edition)
Le Vernis ($19.00)
- Sarong Bright sparkle pink (Limited Edition)
Desert Rose Blush ($40.00)
- Island Horizon A mix of bronze, berry red, soft rose and light pink (Limited Edition)
availability: Now @ Lancome
See more photos!
Jo Malone Dry Body Oils for Spring 2011
The World of Jo Malone™ introduces Dry Body Oils to the Lime Basil & Mandarin and English Pear & Freesia collections.
Dry Body Oil nourishes skin, leaving it feeling satin-soft yet dry to the touch. The natural conditioning qualities of olive, kukui and macadamia-seed oils together with the skin-softening properties of vitamin rich wheat germ extract, encourage a healthy-looking, luminous glow. Quickly absorbed, the lighter texture of a Dry Body Oil makes it an ideal product to use in the warmer months.
Every time you shower, apply the Dry Body Oil to wet skin then pat dry with a towel. Once dry, layer with body lotion for moisturising benefits.
Lime Basil & Mandarin, the Jo Malone signature fragrance, is reminiscent of lies carried on a Caribbean ocean breeze. Fresh limes and zesty mandarins are undercut by peppery basil and aromatic white tyme in this modern classic. English Pear & Freesia is an evocative fragrance that captures the scent of just ripe pears. The freshness of sweet pears is wrapped in a bouquet of white freesias, on a subtle background of wild roses, amber, patchouli and woods.
- availability: Limited edition. Available beginning April 2011 at Jo Malone Shops, jomalone.com, Bergdorf Goodman and select Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom and Bloomingdale’s stores nationwide. Available exclusively at Holt Renfrew in Canada. $65.00 each.