Have you joined MyTemptalia yet? Register
and start having fun today!
This Week’s Topic: GLITTER NAIL POLISH!
Your Mission: Tell us what you love, hate, or are otherwise indifferent to about glitter nail polish and all that it entails.
China Glaze Ruby Pumps Nail Lacquer
China Glaze Wizard of Ohh Ahz Collection
China Glaze Wizard of Ohh Ahz Collection debuts this November, for the holiday season. The collection consists of six shades: Ruby Pumps (an all time red glitter favorite), The Ten Man (silver frost with specks of micro silver glitter), Cowardly Lyin’ (gold frost with specks of gold micro glitter), Good Witch (pink frost with specks of pink micro glitter), C-C-Courage (purple frost with specks of purple micro glitter), and Dorothy Who? (blue polish with massive amounts of silver and blue glitter).
It’s a re-release of a collection by the same name from 2001. I never owned the original set, so I couldn’t tell you if there’s any variance between the two. The materials I received said it was “very similar to the original version that was released in 2001,” so I imagine they may have revamped or improved their formula in the past eight years and that’s why they’re not identical.
- Ruby Pumps is a gorgeous shade of ruby red with lots of deeper red shimmer particles laced throughout. It’s a shade that catches light well and just sparkles. Ruby Pumps has always been one of my favorite shades by China Glaze; it’s also included in the Love You Snow Much set for holiday. This applies opaquely with two medium-thick coats and goes on smoothly.
- The Ten Man is a semi-sheer slightly silvered clear base with silver sparkle. I found this one was hard to make opaque, even with three medium-thick coats. The shimmer didn’t seem to apply as uniformly as the other five in this launch, but I like the shade itself. I’d probably wait longer between coats and do thicker coats as well, perhaps even use a silver or grayish base for a more opaque look.
- Cowardly Lyin’ is a bright, yellow-based metallic gold base with gold shimmer. Like The Ten Man, I found this one was harder to get to be completely opaque (you can see the tip of my nail). It’s more opaque than The Ten Man, but I’d, personally, prefer a more opaque base. I really like the color, though – it’s a very true gold; it reminds me of lions, for sure, and it’s perfect for the holidays.
- Good Witch is a slightly cool paled down rosy pink with pink sparkle. The pink sparkle in this one seemed a little chunkier than some of the others, which isn’t a problem for me, but just something I noted. This one went opaque in three medium-thick coats.
- C-C-Courage is a deep, rich purple with a cool undertone. It’s a dark purple base with lighter icy purple and silver sparkle. This one only needed two medium-thick coats to look opaque (even one gets you close).
- Dorothy Who? is an oceanic blue with lighter and deeper blue sparkle. I actually thought this one was particularly stunning in person! I wasn’t so sure at first, when I saw the bottle, but it really is lovely. It sparkles quite nicely when the light hits it. It takes at least three medium-thick coats to get an opaque look, perhaps even three thicker coats.
Overall, I really liked the formula, texture, and look of the shades included in this collection. I absolutely loved Ruby Pumps, Cowardly Lyin’, and Dorothy Who? — those would be my top three picks out of the six. While I normally love, love China Glaze and its formula, I do feel that a lot of these run on the sheerer side. Ruby Pumps and C-C-Courage are the biggest exceptions to this, as they meet my expectations from China Glaze!
I have to say this, though: why is there no Emerald City? I know China Glaze has Emerald Sparkle, which would have certainly been fitting to this launch. I don’t know; I really expected to see a green in a collection about the Wizard of Oz, you know? Kind of left me hanging in that respect.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 27/30
- Value: 9/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
Recommendation: If you’re looking to add some sparkle–but not glitter–China Glaze’s Wizard of Ohh Ahz Collection has you covered!
Availability: November 2009
See close-ups and swatches of the other five shades… Continue reading →
Build a Quad: “Sunset Style”
There’s one look that I do often, even if the shades themselves are interchangeable, and it’s what I’d call a “sunset eye.” Like it sounds, it includes the colors you might see in a sunset: bright yellows, fiery oranges, coppers, and reds.
This quad includes: MAC Goldmine eyeshadow (bright, true yellow gold), MAC Coppering eyeshadow (a coppery-red bronze), MAC Passionate eyeshadow (matte deep fuchsia-pink), and MAC Rule eyeshadow (a matte lightly burnt orange). If you wanted a more autumnal quad, you could easily swap out Passionate for MAC Antiqued eyeshadow, as well.
A few combinations to try with this…
- Goldmine all over the lid, Rule on the outer lid, Coppering in the crease
- Goldmine on the inner third of the lid, Rule on the middle of the lid, Passionate on the outer lid, Coppering in the crease
- Rule on the inner half of the lid, Passionate on the outer lid, Coppering in the crease
- Goldmine all over the lid, Passionate on the outer lid, Coppering in the crease
A few looks I’ve done that can be replicated with these shades…
Build a Quad is a feature focusing on creating different eyeshadow palettes that are both beautiful and functional using permanent shades of eyeshadow. We invite readers to suggest their own build-a-quads — just leave your ideas in the comments! Don’t forget to name your quad!
See swatches… Continue reading →
Ralph Lauren is on sale at HauteLook!
About the brand:
Ralph Lauren’s aspirational vision has been a mainstay in the world of fashion and style. His profound influence from clothing to home wares to fragrances, is not just about exceptional experiences and beautifully crafted objects, however; it is about a way of life.
Just as Ralph Lauren has had a driving role in shaping men’s and women’s lifestyle and fashions over the past 40 years, he has also been the central force in shaping and developing the designer fragrance market. It is fitting that the portfolio of Ralph Lauren fragrances includes almost every classification: florals, woodlands, directional editions, new classics. The range speaks to the brand’s breadth and versatility and achieves Mr. Lauren’s desire to make the dream accessible to everyone.
Ralph Lauren has introduced more than 25 popular fragrances for men and women, beginning in 1978 with the launch of Polo Ralph Lauren and Lauren by Ralph Lauren. Since then, Mr. Lauren has introduced several iconic scents, such as Polo Modern Reserve, Polo Black, Polo Blue, Ralph Lauren Romance and Love, Ralph Lauren.
The link above is an invite-link, which is a referral link. HauteLook has opened up membership, so you are free to sign up on your own, if you wish!
Temptalia Gives Away $180 in MAC Cosmetics!
We’re giving away $180 in MAC Dazzleglasses and Dazzleglass Cremes — you’re getting five shades of each formula.
We’re giving away…
- MAC Amorous Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Luscious Spark Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Perfectly Unordinary Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Soft Dazzle Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Sublime Shine Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Extra Amps Dazzleglass
- MAC Money Honey Dazzleglass
- MAC Utterly Posh Dazzleglass
- MAC Smile Dazzleglass
- MAC Sugarrimmed Dazzleglass
All entries must be submitted by November 19th, 2009 at 11:59 PM PST. This contest is open to all readers as pursuant to your local state/country’s laws. Winner will be chosen randomly and notified via direct message on Twitter. This post will be updated with “winner chosen” when one has been chosen.
Re-Tweet to Win
This is a Twitter Giveaway, so it is extremely easy to enter–just two simple steps! You’re welcome to re-tweet away, but there is only one entry per person. If you have protected tweets, you must briefly unlock your tweets, tweet me, and re-lock.
1. Follow us on Twitter
2. Re-tweet the following: “RT @temptalia Win $180 worth of MAC Dazzleglasses! Follow @temptalia & RT to enter! Info: http://tinyurl.com/megadazzle“
Congratulations to Amy, @amynaree, for winning!
Beauty Bargains: This Week’s Coupons, Sales, & Promotions
- Bath & Body Works: Buy 3 Get 2 Free OR Buy 2 Get 1 Free Signature Collection Products! Expires 11/17/09
- Beauty.com: $10 off $60 at Beauty.com (must click-through this link).
- Benefit Cosmetics: Free US Standard Shipping on any $50 purchase. Enter promo code PRETTY50 at checkout. Free International Shipping with any $115 purchase. Enter promo code WORLD115 at checkout.
- Benefit Cosmetics: Get a free US standard shipping with purchase of glitz glam and gloss at Benefit. Enter GLOSSKIT at checkout. Offer valid 11/17/09 through 11/24/09.
- Bobbi Brown: Free Full Size Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner in Indigo Ink ($21 Value) with $65 Order with code HOLIDAY (expires 1/15/10).
- Bobbi Brown:Free Full Size Lip Gloss in Honey ($20 value) with their order of $65 or more when they use code HONEY (expires 1/15/10).
- Bobbi Brown:Free full size Metallic Shadow in Penny ($20 Value) with any purchase of $65 or more with code PENNY (expires 12/15/09).
- The Body Shop: Buy 1 Get 1 50% Off on select Bath & Body products from The Body Shop.
- Clinique: Get a shimmering silvery tote FREE with any $49.50 clinique.com purchase. Use code TOTE. While supplies last.
- Clinique: Exclusive beauty gift, get a unique Trina Turk cosmetics bag filled with beauty essentials. A $75 value, yours with any $25 Clinique purchase at NORDSTROM.
- Prescriptives: Free Standard Shipping with any $35 Prescriptives.com purchase, use offer code FREESHIP3 at checkout. Expires 12/31/09
- Sephora: FREE Metallic Flower clutch filled with 8 samples at Sephora.com! Yours with any $50 purchase. Use code CLUTCH4U at checkout.
- Sephora: Get Philosophy’s Amazing Grace Buffing Wash Sample with any order. Enter code BUFFING at checkout.
- Sephora: Get a Bare Escentuals 10-day sample plus mini kabuki brush FREE with any order! Use code TRYBE at checkout.
- Sephora: Beauty Insiders Only. Get a free Bare Escentuals Buxom lip mini gloss. Choose your own shade. Enter code BUXOMKISS at checkout.
- Sephora: Free Skincare Sample Kit at Sephora! Enter code 123SKIN at checkout!
- Sephora: Get a Bare Escentuals Flawless Definition Mascara free with any order! Use code BEFLAWLESS at checkout.
- Sephora: Gifts that Ship for FREE! For a limited time, get FREE Shipping on these select holiday gifts at Sephora! Enter code HOLIDAYSHIP at checkout.
- Too Faced: 30% off your entire order with code LUCKYBREAKS.
Are you deal hunter? Be sure to check out our DEALS page for all the latest deals and steals!