Have you joined MyTemptalia yet? Register
and start having fun today!
Build a Quad: “Sunset Style”
There’s one look that I do often, even if the shades themselves are interchangeable, and it’s what I’d call a “sunset eye.” Like it sounds, it includes the colors you might see in a sunset: bright yellows, fiery oranges, coppers, and reds.
This quad includes: MAC Goldmine eyeshadow (bright, true yellow gold), MAC Coppering eyeshadow (a coppery-red bronze), MAC Passionate eyeshadow (matte deep fuchsia-pink), and MAC Rule eyeshadow (a matte lightly burnt orange). If you wanted a more autumnal quad, you could easily swap out Passionate for MAC Antiqued eyeshadow, as well.
A few combinations to try with this…
- Goldmine all over the lid, Rule on the outer lid, Coppering in the crease
- Goldmine on the inner third of the lid, Rule on the middle of the lid, Passionate on the outer lid, Coppering in the crease
- Rule on the inner half of the lid, Passionate on the outer lid, Coppering in the crease
- Goldmine all over the lid, Passionate on the outer lid, Coppering in the crease
A few looks I’ve done that can be replicated with these shades…
Build a Quad is a feature focusing on creating different eyeshadow palettes that are both beautiful and functional using permanent shades of eyeshadow. We invite readers to suggest their own build-a-quads — just leave your ideas in the comments! Don’t forget to name your quad!
See swatches… Continue reading →
Ralph Lauren is on sale at HauteLook!
About the brand:
Ralph Lauren’s aspirational vision has been a mainstay in the world of fashion and style. His profound influence from clothing to home wares to fragrances, is not just about exceptional experiences and beautifully crafted objects, however; it is about a way of life.
Just as Ralph Lauren has had a driving role in shaping men’s and women’s lifestyle and fashions over the past 40 years, he has also been the central force in shaping and developing the designer fragrance market. It is fitting that the portfolio of Ralph Lauren fragrances includes almost every classification: florals, woodlands, directional editions, new classics. The range speaks to the brand’s breadth and versatility and achieves Mr. Lauren’s desire to make the dream accessible to everyone.
Ralph Lauren has introduced more than 25 popular fragrances for men and women, beginning in 1978 with the launch of Polo Ralph Lauren and Lauren by Ralph Lauren. Since then, Mr. Lauren has introduced several iconic scents, such as Polo Modern Reserve, Polo Black, Polo Blue, Ralph Lauren Romance and Love, Ralph Lauren.
The link above is an invite-link, which is a referral link. HauteLook has opened up membership, so you are free to sign up on your own, if you wish!
Temptalia Gives Away $180 in MAC Cosmetics!
We’re giving away $180 in MAC Dazzleglasses and Dazzleglass Cremes — you’re getting five shades of each formula.
We’re giving away…
- MAC Amorous Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Luscious Spark Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Perfectly Unordinary Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Soft Dazzle Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Sublime Shine Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Extra Amps Dazzleglass
- MAC Money Honey Dazzleglass
- MAC Utterly Posh Dazzleglass
- MAC Smile Dazzleglass
- MAC Sugarrimmed Dazzleglass
All entries must be submitted by November 19th, 2009 at 11:59 PM PST. This contest is open to all readers as pursuant to your local state/country’s laws. Winner will be chosen randomly and notified via direct message on Twitter. This post will be updated with “winner chosen” when one has been chosen.
Re-Tweet to Win
This is a Twitter Giveaway, so it is extremely easy to enter–just two simple steps! You’re welcome to re-tweet away, but there is only one entry per person. If you have protected tweets, you must briefly unlock your tweets, tweet me, and re-lock.
1. Follow us on Twitter
2. Re-tweet the following: “RT @temptalia Win $180 worth of MAC Dazzleglasses! Follow @temptalia & RT to enter! Info: http://tinyurl.com/megadazzle“
Congratulations to Amy, @amynaree, for winning!
Beauty Bargains: This Week’s Coupons, Sales, & Promotions
- Bath & Body Works: Buy 3 Get 2 Free OR Buy 2 Get 1 Free Signature Collection Products! Expires 11/17/09
- Beauty.com: $10 off $60 at Beauty.com (must click-through this link).
- Benefit Cosmetics: Free US Standard Shipping on any $50 purchase. Enter promo code PRETTY50 at checkout. Free International Shipping with any $115 purchase. Enter promo code WORLD115 at checkout.
- Benefit Cosmetics: Get a free US standard shipping with purchase of glitz glam and gloss at Benefit. Enter GLOSSKIT at checkout. Offer valid 11/17/09 through 11/24/09.
- Bobbi Brown: Free Full Size Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner in Indigo Ink ($21 Value) with $65 Order with code HOLIDAY (expires 1/15/10).
- Bobbi Brown:Free Full Size Lip Gloss in Honey ($20 value) with their order of $65 or more when they use code HONEY (expires 1/15/10).
- Bobbi Brown:Free full size Metallic Shadow in Penny ($20 Value) with any purchase of $65 or more with code PENNY (expires 12/15/09).
- The Body Shop: Buy 1 Get 1 50% Off on select Bath & Body products from The Body Shop.
- Clinique: Get a shimmering silvery tote FREE with any $49.50 clinique.com purchase. Use code TOTE. While supplies last.
- Clinique: Exclusive beauty gift, get a unique Trina Turk cosmetics bag filled with beauty essentials. A $75 value, yours with any $25 Clinique purchase at NORDSTROM.
- Prescriptives: Free Standard Shipping with any $35 Prescriptives.com purchase, use offer code FREESHIP3 at checkout. Expires 12/31/09
- Sephora: FREE Metallic Flower clutch filled with 8 samples at Sephora.com! Yours with any $50 purchase. Use code CLUTCH4U at checkout.
- Sephora: Get Philosophy’s Amazing Grace Buffing Wash Sample with any order. Enter code BUFFING at checkout.
- Sephora: Get a Bare Escentuals 10-day sample plus mini kabuki brush FREE with any order! Use code TRYBE at checkout.
- Sephora: Beauty Insiders Only. Get a free Bare Escentuals Buxom lip mini gloss. Choose your own shade. Enter code BUXOMKISS at checkout.
- Sephora: Free Skincare Sample Kit at Sephora! Enter code 123SKIN at checkout!
- Sephora: Get a Bare Escentuals Flawless Definition Mascara free with any order! Use code BEFLAWLESS at checkout.
- Sephora: Gifts that Ship for FREE! For a limited time, get FREE Shipping on these select holiday gifts at Sephora! Enter code HOLIDAYSHIP at checkout.
- Too Faced: 30% off your entire order with code LUCKYBREAKS.
Are you deal hunter? Be sure to check out our DEALS page for all the latest deals and steals!
NYX Goddess of the Night Lip Gloss in Deep Bronze
Lipgloss on a Budget: NYX Deep Bronze Lip Gloss
NYX Goddess of the Night Lip Gloss in Deep Bronze ($5.00 for 0.53 fl. oz.) is just one of sixty shades (from what I counted on NYX‘s website) available in the Lipgloss with Mega Shine collection. Deep Bronze is part of the “Goddess of the Night” collection. It’s a deep plum burgundy with burnt burgundy and copper shimmer through it.
The formula has a very glossy, almost frosty look, and it goes on semi-opaque–it’s not completely opaque, but it certainly is noticeable. I consider it pretty pigmented for a lip gloss, so that was a pleasant and happy surprise! The gloss itself is non-sticky, thick without being gooey, and it doesn’t feel drying when you wear it. The shade range is incredible, and you’re sure to find at least one or two that catches your eye. I wish NYX represented their colors with more true-to-life photos (rather than flat, graphical color swatches), because it would make purchasing online easier.
I did notice that it didn’t last as long as the average gloss does on me; it went about two hours before I felt I needed to reapply, as opposed to my typical gloss wear-time of four hours. I also found that, at least in this deeper shade, the color did have a tendency to settle into the lines of my lips. I like these glosses, and I think that aside from the wearing time, the formula and product are certainly well worth the five dollar price tag. It’s not a big deal to reapply, because it does fade evenly and doesn’t leave any rings behind, so reapply and be on your way. (However, if you need long-wearing lip color, these won’t meet that need.)
For me, the only part I really had trouble with was the very synthetic, almost plastic scent of sweetened cherries. I know that they were going for a cherry scent, but it just read synthetic and almost as if it went bad. The scent doesn’t linger, thankfully, though so just breathe through your mouth while applying! I have also noticed that my NYX glosses and lipsticks don’t last as long on the shelf as my other lipsticks (they noticeably change in smell/texture after a year or so)–I had some NYX glosses from a year or so ago, but Deep Bronze is new. I also wish the applicator grabbed more product, because I felt like I had to get a few swipes to get the amount I needed for the best coverage.
Bottom Line: These are good glosses and worth checking out, partially because they are so affordable. The formula itself (aside from wear-time and the scent) wears well, feels nice on lips, and packs some pigmentation. If they only last a year, it’s not a big deal to chuck it and replace it the next (if you find yourself wanting it again), since they’re so inexpensive. It’s also a nice way to play and experiment with colors without blowing your budget–not to mention there’s an extensive selection of shades to choose from!
NYX is one of my favorite brands if you’re on a tight budget (and certainly worth looking into even if you aren’t on a tight budget!). NYX also regularly has these ridiculous blowout sales where you can nab a ton of product for 50-80% off the original price. For example, right now they’re offering a bundle of sixty lipsticks for a mere $48. Seriously. $48! The sales change regularly, so you never know what they might offer next!
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 24/30
- Value: 10/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
Recommendation: For an affordable non-sticky, high gloss lip gloss, NYX has enough shades to keep you busy!
See swatches… Continue reading →
Clinique Parisian Red Lipstick
The Scarlet Season: Clinique Parisian Red Lipstick
Clinique Parisian Red Lipstick ($14.00 for 0.14 oz.) is a glossy, just-bitten red with pinky tones. Parisian Red is part of Clinique’s Butter Shine Lipstick line-up, which is described as “wearable color” with sheer to moderate coverage. Parisian Red was a limited edition shade from Clinique’s holiday collection last year, but you can still find Parisian Red at Nordstrom! The formula itself is creamy, smooth, and incredibly moisturizing. It does feel like a very glossy lipstick, actually. The color itself is opaque enough to give lips plenty of pop, but they’re not completely opaque. I really love this particular shade of red for the formula itself, because it’s so easy and comfortable to wear.
What about you? Would you wear this red?
The Scarlet Season is a series of posts showcasing and featuring my favorite shades of red lips–from glosses to lipsticks that runs through December 2009. You can sure expect to see a lot of red this holiday season!
See more swatches and comparison photos… Continue reading →