Chanel Prelude Eyeshadow Quad ($57.00 for 0.24 oz.) contains four cool-toned shades for fall. According to Chanel’s fall press release, this is new and being added to the permanent range. This is a lovely mix of colors that complement each other and will work together in numerous variations for soft, neutral looks to heavier, smokier looks. The finishes are all slightly pearled or shimmery but not too shimmered or frosted.
The eyeshadows are soft and silky smooth; very finely milled without being powdery or chalky. They apply beautifully and sit well against the skin, because they nearly melt once applied and blend with great ease. There were no issues with texture or pigmentation in any of these four shades. Soft where they should be soft, intense where they should be intense.
The upper left shade is a purple-tinged taupe brown with multi-colored micro-shimmer, and it has a shimmery finish. It reminded me of a shimmery version of Burberry Taupe, as well as a less metallic MAC Hint of Sapphire. Inglot’s #434 is much more intense, with a blacker base, and reads more purple. Giorgio Armani’s #1 Eyes to Kill is much more intense, but it has a similar multi-colored shimmer.
On the upper right, there is a warm, metallic-finished ivory gold. It’s subtler and less yellow compared to theBalm’s Devilish Danielle, while MAC Short Shorts is more similar, but it leans a little yellower (same with MAC Manila Paper.
Here are several swatches of MAC eyeshadows from the green family (mostly permanent shades) that are now part of The Swatch Gallery.
Femme Noir is a smoky, dark green with subtle yellow undertones. It has a veluxe finish, and it has been discontinued. It’s actually rather close to MAC Diana Undercover, which was from Wonder Woman.
Flourishing is a khaki green with a matte finish. It has a Matte2 finish, and it has been discontinued.
Greensmoke is a muted, smoky green with a golden sheen. It has a lustre finish, but it’s honestly one of the better lustres I’ve come across–it doesn’t have the sheer, uneven payoff of most lustres nor the issues with fall out.
Sumptuous Olive is an olive green with brown undertones and a golden sheen. It has a veluxe pearl finish. Inglot #433 was the closest dupe I could find, but it’s less green.
Humid is a medium-dark forest green with a subtle golden sheen. It has a frost finish. Inglot #418 pulls deeper and darker–less yellow-based.
Velvet Moss is a mossy green with a near matte finish. It has a veluxe finish. It has been discontinued.
Wondergrass is a bright pop of grass green with a yellow undertone. It was limited edition, and it has a frost finish. Make Up FOr Ever #91 is similar in color but lacks shimmer/sheen.
Swimming is a medium grass green with gold shimmer and subtle gold sheen. It has a lustre finish.
Lucky Green is a bright, darkened chartreuse green with a golden sheen. It has a veluxe pearl finish. It is one of my all-time favorite greens! Make Up For Ever #304 is similar, not quite as deep.
Bitter is a yellowed chartreuse with a velvet finish. This is one of those shades that has never worked well for me. It’s always sheer and difficult to pack on. Inglot #343 is a better version–more pigmented.
Juxt is a spring green with a soft, golden shimmer-sheen. It has a satin finish.
Bottle Green is a dark, blue-based green with a matte finish. It is a PRO shade. It never swatches well, but it applies so smoothly and has excellent color payoff when used on the lid. Le Metier de Beaute Jade is most similar, but it has shimmer.
MAC has certainly done a slew of greens, yeah? It’s been a long time since I’ve rearranged my eyeshadow palettes, as evidenced by how many discontinued shades I have in my so-called permanent palettes! It’s a shame, too, because for shades like Flourishing and Velvet Moss, which were beautiful, there are no real comparable shades within MAC’s permanent range.
MAC’s matte eyeshadows have a drier texture, and they often perform better in actual application than merely swatched on the arm. For instance, Bottle Green looks patchy when swatched, but it’s a shade I reach for regularly because of how smooth and buttery it looks on the lid. Lucky Green has such a smooth, buttery texture with excellent color payoff, and it is easily one of MAC’s best eyeshadows in terms of quality.
Nordstrom Anniversary Sale Beauty Exclusives for 2011
I will try and get some photos up ASAP! Selected images up! My fingers about to crawl away in protest. I think it took me two hours to compile all this. AHH! I know some local stores are taking pre-orders already, and you can start pre-ordering via phone July 5th.
Gift With Purchases
- Antica Farmacista: Purchase any 16.9 oz. Antica Farmacista Home Ambiance Perfume and receive a complementary 8.5 oz. Home Ambiance Perfume in one of the following scents: Champagne, Lavender Lime Blossom, Bourbon Vanilla and Mandarin, Ala Moana or Acqua—a $62 value.
- Butter London: Receive a full-size nail lacquer (0.3 oz.) in shade Yummy Mummy with your purchase of any two full-size butter LONDON nail lacquers—a $14 value.
- Cartier: Receive an exclusive Cartier Baiser Vole eau de parfum rollerball (0.2 oz.) with your $100 Cartier Baiser Vole eau de parfum purchase.
- Chantecaille: Receive deluxe samples of Rice and Geranium Foaming Cleanser (0.27 oz.), Nano Gold Firming Treatment (0.27 oz.) and a mini Brilliant Gloss in Elation (0.5 oz.) with your $195 Chantecaille purchase—a $70 value.
- Clarins: Receive deluxe samples of Super Restorative Wake-Up Lotion (1 oz.), Super Restorative Décolleté and Neck Concentrate (0.35 oz.), Super Restorative Replenishing Comfort Mask (0.5 oz.) and Super Restorative Night Wear (0.53 oz.) in a cosmetic bag with your two-item Clarins purchase (one item must be skincare).
- Clarins: Receive deluxe samples of Vital Light Day Cream and Night Cream for All Skin Types (0.5 oz. each), UV Plus HP Multi-Protection Day Screen SPF 40 (0.33 oz.) and Beauty Flash Balm (0.53 oz.) in a cosmetic bag with your two-item Clarins purchase (one item must be skincare).
- Clarins: Receive deluxe samples of Cleansing Milk and Toning Lotion for Normal or Dry Skin (1.7 oz. each), Extra-Firming Night Cream (0.53 oz.) and Advanced Extra-Firming Neck Cream (0.53 oz.) in a cosmetic bag with your two-item Clarins purchase (one item must be skincare).
- Clarins: Receive deluxe samples of Water Comfort One-Step Cleanser for Normal or Dry Skin (1.7 oz.), Multi-Active Night Cream (0.53 oz.), Multi-Active Skin Renewal Serum (0.35 oz.) and Gentle Refiner Exfoliating Cream (0.53 oz.) in a cosmetic bag with your two-item Clarins purchase (one item must be skincare).
- La Mer: Receive deluxe samples of The Radiant Serum (0.17 oz.), The Eye Concentrate (0.1 oz.), The Cleansing Gel (1 oz.) and Crème de la Mer Moisturizing Cream (0.24 oz.) in a shopping bag with your $300 La Mer purchase.
- pureDKNY: Receive three travel bags, perfect for organizing, with any $65 pureDKNY purchase.
- SK-II: eceive the Skin Signature 3D Redefining Mask (6 applications) with your $350 SK-II purchase—a $145 value.
- Erno Laszlo: Receive deluxe samples of Firmarine Blue Treatment Bar (1 oz.), Blue Firmarine Cream SPF 30 (0.5 oz.) and Multi-pHase Makeup Remover (2 oz.) with your $100 Erno Laszlo purchase—an $85 value.
- Estee Lauder: Receive your gift containing a 3-pan blush compact, full-size Pure Color Gloss in Fuchsia Fantasy (0.2 oz.), full-size Pure Color Lipstick in Rubellite, deluxe sample of Sumptuous Bold Volume™ Lifting Mascara in Black (0.1 oz.), mini Double Wear Stay-in-Place Eye Pencil in Onyx, deluxe sample of Re-Nutriv Ultimate Lift Age-Correcting Creme (0.24 oz.) and a metallic-print cosmetics pouch with your $35 Estée Lauder purchase—up to a $135 value.
- Estee Lauder: Receive your gift containing a 9-pan eyeshadow compact, full-size Pure Color Gloss in Fuchsia Fantasy (0.2 oz.), full-size Pure Color Lipstick in Rubellite, deluxe sample of Sumptuous Bold Volume™ Lifting Mascara in Black (0.1 oz.), mini Double Wear Stay-in-Place Eye Pencil in Onyx, deluxe sample of Re-Nutriv Ultimate Lift Age-Correcting Creme (0.24 oz.) and a metallic-print cosmetics pouch with your $35 Estée Lauder purchase—up to a $135 value.
- GO SMiLE: Receive GO SMiLE® Pre-Whitening Gel (12 swabs) with your $198 Smile Whitening Light System purchase—a $52 value.
- Guerlain: Receive your gift containing a Nordstrom-exclusive preview of the new Abeille Royale Eye Cream (0.1 oz.), along with samples of Abeille Royale Day Cream for Normal/Dry Skin (0.23 oz.), Abeille Royale Youth Serum (0.06 oz. packette), Kiss Kiss Essence de Gloss in Violine 462 (0.14 oz.) and Super Aqua-Lotion Toner (1.7 oz.), all enclosed in a cosmetics pouch, with your $200 Guerlain purchase—an $87 value.
- Jimmy Choo: Receive a Jimmy Choo body lotion (3.3 oz.) with the purchase of a Jimmy Choo Eau de Parfum (3.3 oz.)—a $30 value.
- Jo Malone: Receive deluxe samples of Vitamin E Nourishing Hand Treatment (0.1 oz.), Orange Blossom Body Crème (0.5 oz.), Nectarine Blossom and Honey Shower Gel (0.5 oz.), and two fragrance samples, Lime Basil & Mandarin and Grapefruit (0.03 oz. each), with any $150 Jo Malone purchase.
- La Prairie: Receive a Step Up gift of a Single Cellular Power Infusion (0.26 oz.) with your $600 La Prairie purchase—a $118 value.
- La Prairie: Receive deluxe samples of Skin Caviar Luxe Cream (0.17 oz.), Extrait of Skin Caviar Firming Complex (0.34 oz), Cellular Hand Cream (0.5 oz.) and Foam Cleanser (1.6 oz.) in a silver clutch with your $300 La Prairie purchase—a $127 value.
- Lancome: Receive deluxe samples of Rénergie Lift Volumetry Volumetric Lifting and Reshaping Cream SPF 15 (0.5 oz.), Hypnôse Drama Instant Full Body Volume Mascara in Excessive Black (0.135 oz.), Color Design Eyeshadow Quad featuring shades Drape, Style Section, Ciel du Soir and The New Black, Juicy Tubes Lip Gloss in Berry Bold (0.33 oz.), and La Base Pro Perfecting Makeup Primer (0.27 oz.) with your $39.50 Lancôme purchase—an $86 value.
- Perricone: Receive deluxe samples of Serum Prep (2 oz.) and Face Finishing Moisturizer (1 oz.) with your $250 Perricone MD purchase—an $80 value.
- Osmotics: Receive deluxe samples of Blue Copper 5 Anti-Aging Cleansing Gelée (1.7 oz), Blue Copper 5 Molecular Repair Treatment (0.14 oz.) and Blue Copper 5 Firming Eye Repair (0.10 oz.) with your $125 Osmotics Cosmeceuticals purchase—a $50 value.
- Peter Thomas Roth: Receive deluxe samples of Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel (2 oz.), Retinol FusionPM (0.4 oz.), Instant FIRMx (0.5 oz.) and a black skincare bag with your $100 Peter Thomas Roth Purchase—a $77 value.
- Prevage: Receive deluxe samples of Day Ultra Protection Anti-Aging Moisturizer SPF 30 PA++ (0.17 oz.), Face Advanced Anti-Aging Serum (0.17 oz.), Eye Anti-Aging Moisturizing Treatment (0.17 oz.) and Clarity Targeted Skin Tone Corrector (0.17 oz.) in a clear cosmetics bag with your $98 PREVAGE® purchase—an $82.50 value.
- ReVive: Receive a silver cosmetics clutch and premium samples of Moisturizing Renewal Cream (0.5 oz), Moisturizing Renewal Eye Cream (0.17 oz) and Defensif Renewal Serum (0.2 oz) with your $300 RéVive® purchase—a $135 value.
- Rodial: Receive a full-size Glamtox™ Sticks (14 per box) with your $150 Rodial purchase—a $60 value.
- YSL: Receive deluxe samples of Rouge Pur Couture No. 9, Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils No. 1 (0.3 oz.), Waterproof Eye Pencil in No. 1, Opium Eau de Toilette (0.05 oz.) and a chic Yves Saint Laurent pouch with your Yves Saint Laurent cosmetics purchase of $90 or more.
Check out beauty exclusive sets, kits, and more!
Chanel Glossimers ($28.50 for 0.19 oz.) include two new shades for fall (although, the website also lists Giggle, it’s not on Chanel’s official fall release). Pampille is a sheer pink, while Braise is a reddish brown.
Chanel Glossimers are non-sticky glosses that tend to be sheer in color (with some shades being semi-sheer to semi-opaque, but the majority are on the sheer side). The way Glossimers reflect light tends to be one of their major draws, and it’s not always something that can be captured in a photograph. I’ve told this story before, but I didn’t understand the hype until I saw the way the gloss looked when the sunlight hit it–it was divine. Despite their non-tacky feel, they wear three to four hours, which is a surprising wear time for a non-sticky gloss. They’re comfortable to wear, and they fade evenly without leaving behind gritty glitter or shimmer.
Pampille is very much like any number of sheer lipglosses. There really is no defining characteristic to it that makes it stand out amongst numerous sheer glosses. Braise has more of a berry color and has shimmer, but it is similar to MAC Looks Like Sin. It’s also a more refined version of MAC Decorative.