Have you joined MyTemptalia yet? Register
and start having fun today!
Stila on Sale @ HauteLook!
Stila is now on sale at HauteLook next Monday (December 7th) at 8AM PST. HauteLook holds beauty sample sales periodically, and often you can pick up some of your favorites for 50% off (sometimes more, sometimes less). Here’s hoping you’ll enjoy yourself some Stila deals!
HauteLook and Temptalia have partnered together to create a co-branded shopping experience and to highlight certain sales that I really think are worthwhile for readers. We’re taking it slow and seeing how the experience works for both you and us, thanks for your feedback and suggestions!
I did this look for fun before I took a shower on Sunday, and in my hurry, I forgot to take close-ups of the eyes/lips, so there’s just a couple of full-face photos, but hopefully you get the idea
I wanted to use Illamasqua’s Static pure pigment, since it sure looks pretty, but I was so not feeling it in practice — it was gritty, never melded together, and really didn’t work. I layered it on top of the paint pot and then put the eyeshadows on top of that, and it even looked heavy and accentuated every little line on my eyelid (which aren’t even really noticeable until you pile makeup on top!). Static is really similar to MAC’s Pink Opal pigment, which is cheaper (by a lot) and never had any problems using before. Oh, and packaging? I think I already lost 10% of the product on my floor and countertop after only opening it twice. Two thumbs down for that! I’ll probably review it later, so you can hear me gripe it about it on the official then!
You will need the following…
- Eyes: Soft Ochre paint pot (neutral beige base), Illamasqua Static Pure Pigment (iridescent pearly white/fuchsia), Digit eyeshadow (pale, light purple), Beautiful Iris eyeshadow (medium purple), Parfait Amour eyeshadow (cool medium-deep purple), Make Up For Ever #92 eyeshadow (matte deep purple), Bisque eyeshadow (matte highlighter), Urban Decay Lust 24/7 Liner (purple), Stila Violet Smudge Pot (deep purple), Plushlash mascara (black)
- Face: Kiehl’s Tinted Moisturizer (in medium)
- Cheeks: Petalpoint blush (raspberry pink), Dior Rose Diamond Skin Shimmer (rosy highlighter)
- Lips: Guerlain Gemma lipstick (medium pink), Guerlain Crystal Pearl KissKiss Gloss (pearly white)
- Brushes: 266 (firm, angled brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 214 (smudge brush), 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 129 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Petalpoint = Dollymix + Well Dressed
Directions: Define brows using a coordinating powder shadow applied with the 266 brush. Apply Soft Ochre paint pot all over the lid as the base with the 249. With the 239, apply Illamasqua Static pure pigment with water-based mixing medium on the lower lid. On the inner lid, pack Digit eyeshadow on using the 239. Apply Beautiful Iris eyeshadow to the middle and outer portions of the lid. Darken crease with Parfait Amour eyeshadow using the 226, then deepen with Make Up For Ever #92 eyeshadow with the 219. Sweep Bisque eyeshadow underneath the brow bone to highlight. Finish with Urban Decay Lust Liner on lower lash line, and Stila Violet smudge pot on the upper lash line using the 209. Apply Plushlash mascara on lashes. Sweep apples of cheeks with Petalpoint blush using the 129, then highlight with Dior Rose Diamond Skin Shimmer with the 188. Apply Guerlain Gemma lipstick to lips, and then top with Guerlain Crystal Pearl KissKiss Gloss for color and shine.
Check out more photos! Continue reading →
This Week’s Topic: FACIAL CLEANSERS!
Your Mission: Tell us what you love, hate, or are otherwise indifferent to about facial cleansers and all that those entail.
First row: Heli-Yum, Sugar High, Something Sweet
Second row: High Hopes, Peachykeen, Happy Go Lucky
Third row: Lemon Fizz, Four Leaf Clover, Re-Fresh Mint
Fourth row: Flyin’ High, Grape Pop, Light As Air
China Glaze Up & Away Collection Review Round-up
The twelve shades from Up & Away are all creme finish, which means that they’re creamy and have absolutely no shimmer whatsoever. I didn’t find these the easiest to apply from the beginning, but I did find that after I initially applied three or four of them, I started to figure out what worked and what didn’t for these. I did, however, really love the range of shades included in this launch and really felt like they covered the entire rainbow.
Must-Haves: Four Leaf Clover, Sugar High, Re-Fresh Mint
Nice-to-Haves: Something Sweet, Lemon Fizz, Flyin’ High, Light As Air
I don’t think any of these merit a skip, because none of them performed horribly — it’s really a matter of what kind of shades you gravitate towards and which ones you just know aren’t your thing. (Like bright yellows? Not really my thing.) I found the darker/deeper colors to be the easiest to apply, with the lighter ones more prone to streaking, but as you can see, I was able to get creamy, smooth results with all the shades.
Here are some tips I learned about application for these spring shades…
- Experiment with thickness of coats and number of coats. I found one thin coat (which might even be streaky) followed by a slightly thicker second coat gave me the results I wanted.
- Make sure to use a base coat and top coat. The base coat will give the polish a smoother surface and something better to anchor to, which will help the polish look and feel more even and smooth. (It also helps it last longer!)
- Patience is a virtue. You don’t need to wait ten minutes in-between coats, but I would advise waiting anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes. Since I went for a fairly thin first coat, I didn’t have to wait long before it was dry enough to layer on a second coat.
Shade by Shade Reviews
China Glaze’s spring collection certainly caught your eye, and I was really pleasantly surprised by just how many nail polish fans we have on this blog! I will definitely try to be more consistent and include more coverage on nail polish in the future (though let’s take a break for a few days!).
What are your favorites?
Purple Lab NYC Expands Product Range for Spring 2010
In Spring 2010, Purple Lab NYC will be expanding their product range from beyond lipgloss (their famous Huge Lips, Skinny Hips Lipgloss) to include a full line of makeup. All products are available for pre-order at Purple Lab NYC.
Cheek Implants ($26.00)
Cheek Implants is a creamy blush that glides across the skin while plumping, lifting, and enhancing cheek bones. Key ingredients: Nylon, Elastin, Collagen, Hyaluronic Acid
- Backstage Pass Chic. Flirty. Feminine. A peachy, nude-ish stain that’s ultra-flattering on all skin shades
- Six Inch Heels Glam! Haute! Hot! Attention-grabbing! A rosy blush with shimmering golden highlights
Lashionista/Modelista is a double sided mascara/liquid liner beauty product, available in two shades, that mixes glamour and science-forward technology. Key ingredients: Diamond Powder, Glycerin, Vitamin B3, Myristoyl Petapeptide 17, Keratin
- After Dark Silk black with diamond dust, perfectly colored and clear diamonds, ground down to powder to add a new dimension to color – one that twinkles to the max. Its high drama, yet soft, rich and shiny, almost like mink
- Modern Classic A rich black with undertones of midnight blue, bringing out the whites of your eyes, creating a healthy, fresh look that is simply divine, impossibly royal, and well – modern and classic
Luvah is a double plumping lip color infused with aphrodisiacs, aromatherapy for sensuality and moisturizing agents. Key ingredients: Maxi Lip, Vitamin B3, Vitamin E, Ylang Ylang, Dong Quai, Jasmine, Chocolate, Vanilla Mint
- Rich Jerk Eye popping berry that doesn’t overwhelm. Striking on everyone, there’s a slight pink to the shade that brightens the face and makes lips pop
- Mama’s Boy Nude and glamorous, subtle yet bright enough to make you stand out. With the softest of brown undertones, it looks natural and is tailor made for day or night
Luxury Squared ($26.50)
Luxury Squared is two must-haves in one – skin-evening, color-correcting, anti-inflammatory concealer and glimmering highlighter with skin firmers and antioxidants. Key ingredients: Silk, Silica, Vitamin E, Algae, Beta Glucan, Tea Leaf
- Concealer A neutral shade that color corrects under the eyes, made for all skin tones
- Highlighter Soft golden glow to highlight facial features with a lovely hint of metallic pop
Silk Sheets Luxe Foundation ($34.50)
Silk Sheets is a luxe cream foundation infused with silk, juniper, and almond seeds. Key ingredients: Silk, Juniper, Almond Seed Extract, Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe Lead Extract, Algae Extract and Seaweed, Ascorbic Acid, Nettle, Green Tea Extract
- Light Made for fair, delicate skin and it works for slightly pinkish or yellow complexion undertones
- Medium If your skin is gorgeously olive, slightly darker than fair, this is your shade
- Tan You’re naturally dark and exotic? Get this one!
- Dark Beautiful and sultry, it’s best for dark complexions
What are your favorite looks to wear during the holiday season? Share your favorites!
I love gold and brassy eyeshadows with coppery or red lips!