Chanel Kensington Rouge Allure Lipstick
Chanel Kensington Rouge Allure Lipstick
Chanel Kensington Rouge Allure Lipstick ($32.00 for 0.12 oz.) is described as a “bold and brilliant fuchsia.” The color is inspired by “one of London’s most posh shopping districts.” It is a vibrant pink with blue undertones. The coverage is mostly opaque, and the finish has a lovely natural shine but still looks creamy and lush on the lips. This is a lipstick that really looks beautiful when worn; it just has that really cushiony look, where lips look like pouty pillows.
It’s not a particularly unique color–there are numerous bright pink hues to choose from–but the comfortable wear, five-hour wear, and how it keeps lips moisturized during wear, make it a good pink to choose. MAC Pink Pigeon is brighter, more magenta. MAC Love Forever is more blue-based, so it appears almost purplish in comparison. NARS Schiap is brighter, slightly darker. Milani Rose Hip is brighter. It has a similar look to MAC Florida.
By Makeup Morsels, Teen Contributor
Makeup Morsels is a pseudonym, and if that seems a little bulky, just call her MM! She resides in California and on her last year of high school. She has black hair, brown eyes, and pale skin (think NC15), and often has people tell her she looks like a corpse! She’s guilty of having a slight obsession for both sunscreen and lipstick (both of which she says she needs to stop hoarding). You’ll typically find her stalking drugstore aisles for bargains or lurking around high-end makeup counters to window shop. MM also enjoys cooking (and eating), food photography, reading, and exploring the world of makeup. Check out her blog, Makeup Morsels!
Changing My High School (Beauty) Life for the Better
Over the past few years, I’ve tried a lot of different things with my makeup and beauty routine. From maximizing my limited morning time to making up the game of “pet the brush because I don’t have a dog” (only kidding!), I’ve come across several tips and tricks that I still use today. I spent a lot of high school figuring out what works for me and what doesn’t, so today I bring you three tidbits of wisdom that changed my high school beauty life.
Nail polish. By the time junior year of high school rolled around, manicures were my go-to activity in times of stress. Neatly painting polish required that I hold the brush still. Holding the brush still required that I take a deep breath, calm down, and remind myself that the world was not going to end if I couldn’t figure out a Calculus problem. In fact, after a quick 10 minute polish session, I would return to my homework and sometimes experience a moment of epiphany. A useful tip: quick drying top coats such as Out The Door ( 4.99) speed up the process tremendously. Just to clarify, I’m not implying that painting your nails is going to deliver epiphanies or get you straight As (that would be nice, wouldn’t it?)! What it will do is give you a breather before you go back to tackling those math problems and hopefully cheer you up.
Skincare. These days, my makeup of choice is often no makeup at all (give or take a couple of exceptions, see below for more details). The reason I feel comfortable walking out the door with nothing but sunscreen and moisturizer on is that I simply don’t need foundation. While I’m no skincare guru and can’t give you the magical recipe for good skin, what I do suggest is that you think about your specific skin type (is it oily, dry, sensitive, combination?) and read up on skincare bloggers with similar skin issues. Removing your makeup every night is always a good bet, as is wearing sunscreen, staying hydrated, and getting plenty of sleep (I’m still working on that last one).
Under Eye Concealer. Quite honestly, I don’t think I could have gotten through the past three-and-a-half years without this stuff. On days when I’ve accumulated enough sleep debt to look like a panda that’s been walloped in the eyes, a dab of concealer does wonders. I instantly look 10 times more well-rested (when in fact, I am about to fall out of my chair), and friends no longer ask me if I’m okay because I look”disheveled and kind of like a corpse.” Because my dark circles tend to have a purplish cast, I like to use salmon-toned concealers to neutralize the shadows, concentrating the product on the inner corners of my under eyes. My holy grail dark circle concealer is from Skin Food ($12.99), which does the trick without appearing overly orange on my pale skin.
See more photos!
Feel free to share any upcoming deals you’ve spotted!
- EBATES: Drugstore.com (12%), Pur Minerals (10%), SkinStore (8%), DermStore (7.5%)
- GILT: —
- HAUTELOOK: Valentine Luxury Scent Event (1/16), MOR Cosmetics (1/17), Zents (1/17), Booty Parlor (1/18), Mir Crystals by Q-Voe (1/18), Baci Eyelashes (1/18)
- IDEELI: —
- MRREBATES: Murad (12%), Apothica (10%), DermStore (10%), ULTA (8%)
- MYHABIT: Actifirm (1/9), Best Beauty Picks of 2012 (1/9)
- Rue La La: —
Free Shipping, Coupon Codes, GWPs
- APOTHICA: Free shipping on orders of $49+.
- BATH & BODY WORKS: 20% off entire purchase with code GIFT20, expires 2/15/2012. 20% off any order with code 20JANSEMIANNUALSALE, expires 1/15/12.
- BEAUTY.COM: Get a free Issa London Designer Bag + deluxe samples ($175 value!) with your $100 order, while supplies last — link.
- BENEFIT: Free shipping on $50+ purchases with code PRETTY50. Free international shipping with $115+ purchases with code WORLD115.
- BLOOMINGDALE’S: Free shipping on orders of $150+ with code FS150.
- BLISS: 4 free travel-ready treats with $75+ purchase with code FOURGIFTS, expires 1/31. Free the Youth as We Know It Eye Cream when you book the new Youth as We Know It Facial, 1/16 thru 1/30.
- BOBBI BROWN: Free shipping on $65+ orders. Free long-wear cream shadow in Suede + free shipping with $65+ purchase with code SUEDE9, expires 1/3 (one time use). Free shimmer lip gloss in Glacier + free shipping on $65+ orders with code GLACIER9, expires 1/31 (one time use). Free Plumberry Treatment Lip Shine SPF 15 with $65+ order with code PLUM11, expires 4/13. Free Nougat Lipgloss with $65+ order with code GLOSS12, expires 4/13.
- CLINIQUE: Free shipping on $50+ orders.
- DERMSTORE: 10% off when you shop for your My Favorites List, expires 6/2/12.
- ELIZABETH ARDEN: 15-piece Luxe collection ($165 value) for $29.50 with any order, expires 2/10.
- GIORGIO ARMANI BEAUTY: Free shipping with $75+ orders + 2 samples of choice for registered members. Free shipping with any $75+ purchase with code DESIGNER10, no expiration.
- KIEHLS: Free shipping on orders over $50. Free shipping on $35+ orders with code NEWYEAR, expires 1/15.
- LANCOME: Free 4-piece sample + free shipping with $45+ orders with code NEWYEARLAN, expires 1/31.
- NORDSTROM: Free shipping & free returns everyday.
- ORIGINS: Free shipping on $50+ orders, no code necessary.
- PHILOSOPHY: Free shipping on $50+ orders, no code necessary. Free Gift of Hope with $65+ purchase with code HOPE2012, expires 1/13.
- SAKS FIFTH AVENUE: Spend $150 and get a free subscription to Harper’s Bazaar with code BAZAAR.
- SEPHORA: Free Justin Bieber Purple Heart Purse with Someday Fragrance order with code JBLOVE, expires 1/13. Free deluxe sample of Laura Mercier Radiance Primer on $25+ orders with code RADIANCE, expires 1/31.Free Bare Escentuals Lip Color with any $25+ purchase with code CONFIDENCE. Free YSL Toning & Cleansing Water with $25+ purchase with code YSLCLEANSE. Free Bare Escentuals mascara with $25+ purchase with code FLAWLESS. Free YSL Faux Cils Mascara sample with $25+ purchase with code FAUXCILS. Free Shiseido Mascara sample with $25+ purchase with code PERFECT. Free Bobbi Brown Eye Cream with any $25+ purchase with code BOBBIEYE.
- SKINSTORE.COM: 20% off select gift ideas under $200 with code NEW2012, expiration unknown.
- THE BODY SHOP (USA): Free shipping on $50+ orders.
- ULTA: $3.50 off $10 purchase with code 62548, expires 1/21.
- YSL: Free shipping on any order, no code necessary.
I can usually find a shade that matches well enough within a range, because I am not on either extreme end of the spectrum (neither really, really fair or deeper in complexion), but I do find many warm options tend to run yellower than my particular skin tone needs. I also find that I’m in-between light-medium and medium, so I often have to mix to get the right shade or use the lighter liquid and a darker powder (or vice versa).
Do you have a question idea? Submit yours here.
Maybelline Pomegranate Punk Color Tattoo 24 Hour Eyeshadow
Maybelline Color Tattoo 24 Hour Eyeshadows (Part 2)
This post includes the remaining four shades of Maybelline Color Tattoo 24 Hour Eyeshadows ($6.99 for 0.14 oz.), which are a cream/gel eyeshadow that’s supposed to yield 24-hour wear without creasing or fading and have intense color payoff. I reviewed the formula itself here in part one.
- Pomegranate Punk is a darkened red-burgundy with a shimmery finish. It has good color payoff and a creamy consistency. It’s similar to Benefit Stiletto. It’s slightly less red compared to MAC Idyllic. MAC Artifact seems similar, too, perhaps browner.
- Tenacious Teal is a medium-dark blue with a silvered shimmer. It has great color payoff and applies smoothly. I’m not sure where they were going with the name, because there’s really no teal to speak of. It’s bluer than theBalm Open to Offers Olwen. It’s slightly lighter than Urban Decay Haight.
- Too Cool is a bright metallic-finished white with subtle cool undertones. It has excellent pigmentation and a smooth feel. There are several white eyeshadows that are similar, depending on how you like your white, but it’s not a unique shade. Because it’s so pale and light, though, it will make a great base and make your eyeshadows pop more.
- Tough as Taupe is a mauve-tinted gray with neutral-cool undertones. It’s opaque and feels very smooth. Though I don’t have it, it seems like it would be similar to MAC Stray Grey. MAC String-a-long may also be similar but I don’t own it to tell you how similar. Urban Decay Bust is browner. theBalm Come Hither Heather is lighter. MAC Interior Life is slightly darker. NARS Delphes is similar.