NYFW S/S ’10: NARS @ 3.1 Phillip Lim & Marchesa
NARS @ 3.1 Phillip Lim
The theme behind the collection was collage, with inspiration springing from the late works of Picasso and the Cubism period. The pieces look different from every angle leaving a sense of mystery to them, while remaining timeless. The same idea is applied to the makeup. An abundance of different textures- matte, sheer, shimmer and shine- were portrayed differently as the model moved around. The clothes, like the makeup, were meant to stimulate the senses, be emotional, and also to sympathize with current times.
The look is clean and textural, giving a sense that makeup is there but not detectable from the plain eye. “The idea is not to be harsh. The look is part sheer with shades of green, brown and lilac fading into each other” said lead artist Lisa Butler. The key points include highlights of iridescence and gold to the cheekbones, light liner (almost invisible) and peach lips. “There is some shimmer so when the face moves around, the light really captures it. But there are no lines- no eye lines, no lip lines.”
Get the Look
- Face: Mix a small amount of NARS Concealer with NARS Hydrating Moisture Cream to apply just around the nose forehead and cheeks. Blend NARS Luxor Multiple (NEW for Holiday 2009) with a foundation brush to the cheekbone moving down diagonally toward the lips and adding a little bit onto the lips for subtle highlights
- Eyes: Apply the golden moss side of NARS Camargue Duo Eyeshadow (NEW for Spring 2010) all over the eye filling in the crease with the sienna side. Depending on skin tone, apply NARS Mousson Cream Eyesahdow (NEW for Holiday 2009) to adjust the color on the lid. Using a NARS Smudge Brush apply D.Gorgeous Eyeshadow (NEW for Spring 2010) to the lower lash line adding intensity as need be (“It’s not a heavy liner, but it shows some color,” explained Lisa Butler). Apply one coat of NARS Larger Than Life Lengthening Mascara to the top lashes
- Lips: Add a swipe of NARS Cruising Lipstick (NEW for Spring 2010) and some NARS Luxor Multiple (NEW for Holiday 2009) to a NARS Retractable Lip Brush and dab lightly onto the lips starting in the middle and working your way out
- Finish: Apply NARS Orgasm Illuminator (NEW for Spring 2010) to the face, concentrating on the cheekbones. Reapply both shades from NARS Camargue Duo Eyeshadow to the brow bones
See more photos and breakdown for Marchesa…
NARS @ Marchesa
The inspiration behind the collection came from Madame Butterfly. “I wanted to capture the real look of Japan, create layers and bits of origami,” said designer Georgina Chapman. The whimsical creations based in sculpted layers balanced the soft, bare faces that were accentuated with long lashes.
Very simple, romantic and beautiful skin contoured with varying formulas. “We contoured the skin with matte and shimmery textures and added feathers to the eyes to provide dimension to the face,” explained lead artist Talia Shobrook. A matte face was illuminated with a bit of shimmer. Feather lashes, custom created by NARS from the feathers on the Marchesa dresses, gave excitement to an otherwise simple look.
Get the Look
- Face: Mix NARS Sheer Matte Foundation with NARS Orgasm Illuminator (NEW for Spring 2010) and gently blend all over the face. Apply NARS Concealer under the eyes and only where redness shows. Using fingers, apply NARS Luxor Multiple (NEW for Holiday 2009) across the cheekbone. Apply NARS Powder Foundation under the eyes and to the center of forehead. With a NARS Yachiyo Kabuki Artisan Brush contour the cheeks with NARS Nepal Single Eyeshadow. Apply a mixture of both shadows from NARS Thebes Cream Duo Eyeshadow on the cheekbones, bridge of nose and on the upper temples.
- Eyes: Apply NARS Abyssinia Single Eyeshadow all over the eye up to the brow. Line the top lashline, as well as the lower lash line, with NARS Iceberg Eyeliner Pencil. Curl lashes with a NARS Eyelash Curler. Apply one light coat of NARS Larger Than Life Volumizing Mascara on the top lashes, only. Using clear eyelash glue, apply NARS custom-made feather lashes
- Lips: Apply NARS Cruising Lipstick (NEW for Spring 2010) with fingers to the lips