NYFW S/S ’10: AVEDA @ Rodarte
AVEDA @ Rodarte
The look is edgy and daring, yet natural, with hair pinned away from the face in a thin veil of black wool. Hair is matte, roughed-up and textured, and raked back into a braid-like cascade.
Get the Look
- Step 1: Dampen hair with water and prep with Aveda Phomollient™ Styling Foam to add volume. Scrunch hair with fingers while blow-drying.
- Step 2: Sprinkle Aveda Pure Abundance™ Hair Potion generously on hair (using most of the bottle), working in layers, to create matte, roughed-up texture throughout. Massage product into the hair and scalp with fingers.
- Step 3: Once Aveda Pure Abundance™ Hair Potion is worked in, scrunch and twist hair with fingers while blowing-drying. Spray hair liberally with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray for workable hold.
- Step 4: Twist the sides of hair back and secure at ear-level with black hair pins.
- Step 5: Prepare a piece of natural black wool by spreading it out with fingers to create a thin veil. Beginning across the top of the head, a couple of inches from the hairline, spread the wool out delicately, pinning it securely in place. Continue draping the organic wool over hair to ends, securing in place with pins.
- Step 6: Twirl the wool around the ends and tie into a knot, creating the illusion of the end of a ponytail. Spray thoroughly with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray to hold the look in place.
See more photos and Q&A…
Q&A with Odile Gilbert
Q: What was your inspiration for this look? How did you collaborate with the designer to create the look?
“Kate and Laura wanted something different—a bold hair look that would be unique to Rodarte, and really echo their collection. They were inspired by the work of photographer, Edward Curtis, who captured stunning images of the Native American peoples. They were also moved by the idea of a young girl from the country who wants to be sophisticated but doesn’t have much, so she twists a thin veil of black wool stylishly through her hair. The netting of black wool echoes the collection’s knits and textures. The look is raw, hard, and organic.”
Q: How could a woman achieve this look on her own?
“This look can be worn with or without the black netting, and can be striking for evening wear. Begin by prepping wet hair with Aveda Phomollient™ Styling Foam and blow-drying loosely with fingers. Layer hair generously with Aveda Pure Abundance™ Hair Potion and rake through to create texture and volume. Pin the sides back securely to create a roughed-up cascade that is swept away from the face. Finish with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray for hold.”