AVEDA @ Jason Wu
This is a sculpted, voluminous chignon with a textured, 6 inch wide, sheer black ribbon woven into the hair in a spontaneous and organic way. The finished look is feminine and elegant with an edge.
Get the Look
- Step 1: Apply Aveda Smooth Infusion™ Style-Prep Smoother throughout damp hair and blow dry straight.
- Step 2: Work Aveda Smooth Infusion™ Glossing Straightener through hair to achieve a straight, smooth, glossy finish.
- Step 3: Separate hair into front and back sections. Pull back section into a tight ponytail to the middle/back of the head and secure with a bungee elastic.
- Step 4: Tie a 7-foot long piece of 6-inch wide, black horse hair ribbon around the ponytail. Secure each end to the head on either side of the pony with bobby pins the color of hair.
- Step 5: Mist the entire head with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray for added shine and workable hold.
- Step 6: Weave front section of hair back in smaller, 1-inch pieces, over the ribbon, securing against the head with bobby pins. Continue weaving hair and ribbon, creating loops with the ribbon around back of the head, until all hair has been worked through.
- Step 7: Weave ponytail in 1-inch sections in loops throughout the ribbon, securing against the head with bobby pins, until all hair and ribbon are used. Hair and ribbon are looped together spontaneously, creating a sculptural, voluminous updo. Fray the ends of the ribbon and leave exposed.
- Step 8: Spray with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray for finish and hold.
See more photos and Q&A…
Odile Gilbert Q&A
Q: What was your inspiration for this look? How did you collaborate with the designer to create the look?
“The collection is rich with different textures and materials, so Jason and I worked together to create a hair look that plays with this idea. I wove a thick, black, sheer ribbon throughout hair for a style that’s feminine, yet contemporary and edgy. The look is very sculptural and organic.”
Q: How could a woman achieve this look on her own?
“This is a messy, sculptured chignon that can easily be recreated with any stiff, sheer ribbon. It has a very girly, yet edgy feel. The key to recreating this look is to have fun and to be spontaneous. Start by blow drying smooth, create a ponytail with the back section of hair, and weave ribbon and hair against the head, pinning in place as you go. This look can be playful to wear during the day or elegant with an edge for the evening.”
Jason Wu Q&A
Q: What is the inspiration for your collection? What is the look you are capturing?
“Contemporary artist, Tara Donovan’s, installations were my creative starting point; she makes amazing displays out of plastic cups, clear tape, and all sorts of everyday materials. Her art makes me rethink the way I look at texture and materiality.”
Q: You have made a real effort to “green” your show this season. How do you feel about this accomplishment?
“The entire eco movement is something I’ve always had an interest in, so now it is time to take an active role in ‘greening’ the fashion industry. I think the recycled paper invitations we sent out this season was a great beginning, and partnering with an environmentally conscious company like Aveda makes a powerful statement as well.”