MAC Tartan Tale Collection (Chapter 1): Overall, Round-up, & Recommendations
OVERALL, Tartan Tale is both overwhelming and underwhelming–the sheer size makes it difficult to focus on individual products and starts to feel more like an explosion of products. It’s underwhelming in that a lot of the kits/sets aren’t as value-driven as palettes and sets often are, but some of the quality is lacking in the palettes, as well.
For this part of the holiday collection, I have no must-haves. There are some nice colors within the palettes, but I don’t feel that the entire palette/kit is a must-have. These were some of the individual shades I thought were worth noting: Endless Fun (Happily Ever After Lip Kit), Baron’s Rose (Dazzle the Lads Lip Bag), Mellow Mood (Vain & Glorious Lip Bag), and Rolled Gold (Twists of Tartan Palette. I liked Rockers & Reelers the most out of the palettes and sets, but I didn’t love it.
I also like the Face Kits, and I think they’re worth checking out if you don’t have any of the permanent blush shades included in each. It’s a more affordable way to try three cheek products at once, and at least, if you love the blushes, they’re available in the permanent range, too. I do always recommend the MAC Viva Glam holiday products. If you love the color of either the gloss or lipstick, but not the bag or both, they are available year-round for purchase.
The one item I specifically do not recommend are the brush sets. I think the quality is significantly below MAC brushes (full-sized), but worse yet, below more affordable brush options. Buy one or two full-size brushes and add to your brush collection over time.
Nice-to-haves: Beauties Play It Cool Palette, Reelers & Rockers Palette, Happily Ever After Lip Kit
Skip: Dashing Lassies Eyeshadow Palette (MAC has better permanent neutrals), Brush Sets
- Skip ENDLESS FUN if you have OYSTER GIRL; it’s a little less milky but very similar.
- Skip BARON’S ROSE if you have FUN BATHING; they’re incredibly close–Baron’s Rose is a touch redder.
- Skip SMOOTH HARMONY if you have GOLDEN BRONZER;
- Skip CROWN & SCEPTRE if you have ANTIQUED; slightly less metallic but similar enough color-wise.
Don’t forget to…
Check your stash for MOTH TO FLAME (permanent), BABY SPARKS (permanent), IN SYNCH (repromote from Too Fabulous, ’10), MELLOW MOOD (repromote from Electroflash, ’08), MELBA (permanent), PEACHTWIST (permanent), SMOOTH HARMONY (repromote from Heatherette, ’08), DAME (permanent), PLUM FOOLERY (permanent), OH SO FAIR (repromote from Venomous Villains, ’10), SILVERWEAR (repromote from Holiday, ’07), HOLD MY GAZE (repromote from Holiday, ’09), ALTERED STATE (repromote from Holiday, ’09), BRONZE (permanent), BUCKWHEAT (repromote from Naked Honey, ’09), SHOWSTOPPER (repromoted endlessly), WHITE RABBIT (repromote from Holiday, ’09), CARBON (permanent), VAINGLORIOUS (repromote from Venomous Villains, ’10).
Recommendations by Skin Tone
Please note that this section is merely suggesting shades that would complement a particular skin tone better than other shades, but these lists are meant to be rather exhaustive of the entire collection; it’s not reflective of must-haves for your skin tone. When it comes to cooler/warmer skin tones, these are products that lean noticeably cool/warm and therefore complement the corresponding skin tone better (but it does not mean you can’t wear a warmer product if you’re cooler!).
- Best Picks for Lighter Skin Tones: Happily Ever After Kit, Dashing Lassies Eyeshadow Palette, Beauties Play It Cool Palette, Twists of Tartan Palette, Hark the Heraldry Face Kit, Vain & Glorious Lip Bag
- Best Picks for Medium Skin Tones: A Fabulous Fantasy Kit, Happily Ever After Kit, Beauties Play It Cool Palette, Reelers & Rockers Palette, A Triumphant Blush Face Kit, Vain & Glorious Lip Bag, Dazzle the Lads Lip Bag
- Best Picks for Darker Skin Tones: A Fabulous Fantasy Kit, Reelers & Rockers Palette, Twists of Tartan Palette, A Triumphant Blush Face Kit, Dazzle the Lads Lip Bag
- Best Picks for Cooler Skin Tones: Happily Ever After Kit, Dashing Lassies Eyeshadow Palette, Beauties Play It Cool Palette, Twists of Tartan Palette, Hark the Heraldry Face Kit, Vain & Glorious Lip Bag
- Best Picks for Warmer Skin Tones: A Fabulous Fantasy Kit, Reelers & Rockers Palette, A Triumphant Blush Face Kit, Vain & Glorious Lip Bag, Dazzle the Lads Lip Bag