MAC Fashion Flower: Overall & Recommendations
Fashion Flower feels like a nice-sized collection–enough to mix and match, but it’s not so large that it’s overwhelming. MAC’s matte eyeshadows can be great, but they have a few duds in the mix and some that just work infinitely better when applied to the eye with a brush than in a mere arm swatch–and this is true with the mattes in this launch.
I did feel that Aqua and Free to Be seemed stiffer here than the pans I have (as both are permanent), so you might consider getting the non-imprinted ones if that’s the case. Lucky Green is also permanent, but it’s definitely the standout shade–luxuriously smooth and richly pigmented; it represents when MAC really nails an eyeshadow.
The lipgelees felt a bit sticky this time around, with Now in Season feeling quite tacky, which was unexpected (as lipgelees are known for being non-sticky!). Ever Hip, as a coral, will sell well, while Summer Shower will add depth as a layering lip product. Mlle and Growing Trend are more similar to existing permanent shades out of the four lipsticks in the launch. If you missed out on Ever Hip on MAC’s website, Nordstrom still has it in stock ($5 shipping on $50+ beauty purchases).
Both beauty powders felt powdery to me, so I didn’t think they were exceptional, based on texture. Alpha Girl works better applied (more color shows up) than when swatched, but both Alpha Girl and Light Sunshine are more suitable for lighter skin tones because of their light/sheer color.
P.S. — Ignore the mascaras, they’re part of Flighty. That’s what happens when you don’t have coffee in the morning!
Photos, Reviews, Swatches
Check out my recommendations, what to check your stash for, what to skip, and recommendations by skin tone!
must-haves: Lucky Green eyeshadow, Ever Hip lipstick
nice-to-haves: Bows & Curtseys eyeshadow
skip: Mlle lipstick
Check your stash for…
ALPHA GIRL (repromote), EVER HIP (repromote), AQUA (permanent), FREE TO BE (permanent), LUCKY GREEN (permanent).
Skip if you have…
- Skip FASHION FLOWER if you have LUXURE; Fashion Flower is slightly pinker but it’s hard to tell the difference when worn.
- Skip FRESH DAISY if you have NYLON; Fresh Daisy is less golden, but they’re similar enough to merit a skip.
Recommendations by Skin Tone
Please note that this section is merely suggesting shades that would complement a particular skin tone better than other shades, but these lists are meant to be rather exhaustive of the entire collection; it’s not reflective of must-haves for your skin tone. When it comes to cooler/warmer skin tones, these are products that lean noticeably cool/warm and therefore complement the corresponding skin tone better (but it does not mean you can’t wear a warmer product if you’re cooler!).
- light skin tones: Ever Hip, Growing Trend, Mlle, Summer Shower lipsticks; Aqua, Free to Be eyeshadows; Alpha Girl, Light Sunshine beauty powders
- medium skin tones: Ever Hip lipstick;
- dark skin tones: Ever Hip lipstick;
- cool undertones: Growing Trend, Mlle, Summer Shower lipsticks;
- warm undertones: Ever Hip lipstick;
- universally flattering shades: Budding Beauty, Fashion Flower, Now in Season lipgelees; Bows & Curtseys, Groundcover, Fresh Daisy, Lucky Green eyeshadows