Foundation Matrix 2.0
If you’re not familiar with the Foundation Matrix, the purpose is to help you find potential shade matches in a foundation you’re interested in. The way you do this is by finding a foundation you do use that you already know your shade for, and then you move along the corresponding column to find potential matches in other foundations. It began and continues as a community-driven effort, because I ask that you add in your own matches. This way it’s real people who’ve really tried the foundations giving out recommendations to others.
We are reaching out to the community to help fine tune existing shades but also fill in more shades. The Foundation Matrix stands at over 400 foundations strong. 400!
We have added/changed the following:
- NEUTRAL UNDERTONES. We have had requests for sheet just for those with neutral undertones, so we have added it.
- NEW SHADE GUIDE/SYSTEM. We originally used MAC’s numbering system (which is backwards and often confusing) in the beginning, because it was so recognizable that many knew their MAC shade match. We have so much amazing data, we don’t need it any more. Plus, MAC’s shade range does not cover some of the undertones the revamped matrix now has. The shade range goes from Fairest to Deep Dark. In MAC shades, fairest is like NC/NW5-10 (lighter than their lightest shade at NC/NW15), while Deep Dark is like NC/NW50-55.
- NEW UNDERTONES FOR WOMEN OF COLOR. We want the matrix to be more useful to women of color, who do not always fit into pink/yellow undertones. There is a warm undertones sheet which includes yellow but also peach and red (and pink undertones remain on the cool undertones sheet). Thank you to Afrobella for her help on this!
- ADDED 100+ FOUNDATIONS. In the past, we only added new foundations if and when someone has a match for it. We have now added over a hundred new foundation formulas that need matches!
- MORE REFINED SORTING. Once the community has populated the newly added foundations, we hope to give you more ability to sort and refine the results you want. We have done this by creating separate columns for: brand, foundation name, type of foundation, coverage of the foundation, and finish of the foundation. You can view the parameters for type, coverage, and finish under the Key sheet.