With 2008 in full swing for everyone around the globe now, many of us have made a few resolutions or are thinking about ones to make for the new year. As with every year, at least half of us forget the resolutions we have made, fail to follow through on them, or simply give up. I have to give kudos for those who stick with them to the end, especially if they manage to succeed. My boyfriend teased me last night for not having any resolutions, which influenced me to come up with a few goals that I’d like to attain this year.
My apartment is overflowing with beauty products, and the lack of organization of them all is driving me batty–really. I honestly think there may be too much of a good thing going on at my house! I just don’t know how to organize it quite yet, but I would really love to overhaul some of it soon. For this past Christmas, I definitely did a lot of passing-on of the beauty products to family members, which did make a nice dent into what I have but no longer use. It is just so difficult to throw out beauty products for me–I hate wasting them! A few weeks ago, I made a make-shift shelf/drawer out of a cardboard box to hold a bunch of skincare products, and I have to say, that is serving me well! It has significantly decluttered my bathroom countertop (which has no room to spare, beauty products or not). Do you have any hidden secrets to beauty organization?
I would also like to do some closet clean-out, because I have far too many shoes and clothes I no longer love or do not find suit me anymore. I don’t think I have ever thrown out a pair of shoes for any reason other than wear and tear, so I am not sure I will have the will power to do it. (Of course, by throw out, I do mean, give to the Goodwill.)
I haven’t gotten my grades back from my first semester at law school (I will get two permanent grades, three pencil ones – ones worth only 25% of my total grade, the other 75% to come in May), but I feel like I should have done better. I am going to work harder to pay attention in class, take more extensive notes, and make sure to read more carefully. I would like to say that I do feel I worked much harder this past semester than I ever did for undergrad (which, sadly, wasn’t hard to do, considering how little I worked), which does impress me. I stayed on top of the majority of my reading (boring!), went to nearly all my classes, and spent a decent chunk of time studying prior to the tests.
I fear I take some things for granted, and I would really like to show people that I appreciate their effort and energy more often than I have in the past. I want people to think of me as someone who is nice and approachable, so I hope that by being more conscious of this will help me achieve this. I am encouraged by the fact that over the years, I have steadily become more appreciative of the things I have and the people I know.
Re-discover My Creativity
Sometimes I really do feel like I am running on empty (and this has been an on-going feeling for the past five years) when it comes to being creative, original, or remotely unique. I have been in this rut for such a long time that I fear I don’t know what it feels like to be creative any more. I am going to actively try to climb out and find things that enable my creativity and foster it. I know you can’t force it, but I’d like to think that certain circumstances may persuade it to come out and play!
Lose Weight, Feel Great; Operation Hot Part 203822
Every year, like so many, I make weight loss a goal. I know that many of my dear readers will also be tackling this particular resolution with the new year, and I wish everyone the best of luck and the utmost support in becoming active, eating healthier, and losing weight. In 2004, I lost 45 pounds (I was on the Atkins’ diet), and while I never hit my “dream” weight, I did get to a weight I was happy enough with. I have gained about 10 pounds of that back in the past six months, and I would really like to get back down to that “happy enough” weight or lower. Being active is something I have struggled with for all of my life, and while I would love to say my resolution is to run everyday, it isn’t realistic. Instead, I would like to add activity if and where I can, but my concentration will be on eating better and more moderately. Bye-bye, Starbucks, you addictive fiend!
Here are some tips and tricks to keeping your resolutions… Continue reading →