Google Reader is shutting down for good tomorrow (July 1st), so make sure to export all of your favorite blogs (which hopefully includes this one!) onto a new service, such as Bloglovin’, which is quickly becoming the go-to within the blogosphere as a replacement for Google Reader. Bloglovin’ has an import feature so you can easily transfer your favorite blogs into their service so you can continue to get updates.
Or sign-up and receive a daily e-mail from us showcasing all the posts from each day directly in your inbox. Either way, you’ll never miss a post!
Or you can follow me on one (or more) of these lovely social networks:
THE SWATCH GALLERY HAS BEEN UPDATED AND REVAMPED! Please enjoy!
Advanced Sorting and Refining
You can now sort swatches by a whole host of characteristics! Choose one, five, ten, or however specific you want to go. You can refine any search by:
- TYPE: Try a search for blush, or refine down to powder blushes–or maybe cream and liquid blushes
- BRAND: If you only want to see Urban Decay swatches, you can do it!
- COLOR: Select one or more colors to see together–great for comparing but also putting together color combinations!
- FINISH: Select one or more of our finishes so if you’ve wanted a matte version of a frost, you can find it!
- UNDERTONE: Prefer cool undertones? You can make it so only those shades show up.
- AVAILABILITY: Only want to see permanent shades? No problem! (You’ll also see all shades marked with DC, LE, or P on the upper right-hand corner.)
- PRICE: Trying to find a red lipstick under $25? We have you covered!
Select your parameters, then click “FILTER” and let us do the magic!
You can compare (or “combine,” if you want to create color combinations or product pairings) up to eight shades together by clicking “compare” underneath each shade you wish to see together. Once you’ve selected all shades you want to see together, go to the top of the page and click “compare.” You can still drag and drop shades to compare as well! What’s great is that it will output a permanent link, so you can save and return to it or share with friends (and you’ll see me including this in new posts going forward, and it will also be become part of the post at a future date!). See the example below live here.
Lip Products – Not Just on Lips!
You can now compare swatches of lip products on skin or as applied on lips. To see lip products swatched on lips, simply click “See Lip Products Swatched on Lips.”
Add to Vanity/Wishlist Quickly, Quick Reviews
While we intend to roll out ways to add products and shades to your vanity in a faster, more bulk-friendly kind of way, displaying shades in the gallery is an easy way to see everything in one place if you have a lot of MAC lipsticks or Urban Decay eyeshadows! You’ll find our Vanity and Wishlist icons there–and you can continue to love and leave products or quickly review them.
Is there a certain beauty item you associate with your birthday? Something you received in the past years, or wore to a party of yours? The color of your birthstone?
I don’t think there is. I’m trying to recall, but I’ve always told people not to buy me anything beauty-related for my birthday (I’m picky!).
Thanks to Kate for this question–and 5/18 is her birthday, so happy birthday, Kate! Do you have a question idea? Submit yours here.
Angelina Jolie @ Golden Globes 2012
Angelina Jolie wrote an op-ed for the New Yor Times today about her decision to have double mastectomy. Jolie wrote, “For any woman reading this, I hope it helps you to know you have options.” Jolie carries the mutated BRCA1 gene, which dramatically increased her risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer. By opting for a double mastectomy, Jolie said she has reduced her risk from 87% to under 5% for breast cancer. She noted how vital support from family, especially partners, can be during the process.
On April 27, I finished the three months of medical procedures that the mastectomies involved. During that time I have been able to keep this private and to carry on with my work.
Of what she said, I felt like this was most inspiring:
On a personal note, I do not feel any less of a woman. I feel empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity.
Jolie hopes by sharing her story that she will raise awareness and encourage women to get gene tested to see if they may be “living under the shadow of cancer.” She says, “Life comes with many challenges. The ones that should not scare us are the ones we can take on and take control of.” She will continue to share more about her journey going forward, which will be posted on the Pink Lotus Breast Center’s website.
Many of us have been affected by breast cancer, whether directly or because someone we love has been diagnosed. Jolie’s story, and those like hers, and the stories readers have shared here in the past, help us come together to understand, raise awareness, and move forward in the fight against cancer. It’s an opportunity to have a difficult discussion, to learn more about risk factors and family histories, to talk to survivors and learn from their journeys. It doesn’t have to be October and dressed in pink for reminders of why it is important to know our bodies, family histories, and what things we can do to prevent and/or reduce our risks.
If you have a story to share, know it will be welcomed, and your courage and strength of sharing is truly inspiring.
You may have noticed The Glossover has an updated look and feel, and it is now integrated with MyTemptalia, which means you can easily add products I’ve just reviewed here on the blog to your vanity and wishlist. If you’ve already tried the product, you can add your quick review by rating it on a five-star scale and add tags if desired. You must be logged in to take advantage of these features, so be sure to login, and if you aren’t signed-up, you can register here! You’ll also find our love it and leave it buttons as we’ve always had them
When a post contains multiple shades or palette, there may be individual ratings given (new reviews will have this going forward; older reviews do not, as individual grades were not inputted at the time). If you want to see all of the individual ratings, make sure to click “Click to Reveal More Glossovers!”
Seven years of posts means… older posts will show the palette as a whole, and any product with, say five lipstick shades, isn’t going to be fully functional, because no individual grades were given. We were able to pull in a lot of old reviews into the updated system, but some old posts will not have this functionality as they do not have the Glossover rating system (this is also true on any type of product, like skincare, that does not currently have a rating system in place). We are still adding past reviews into the database, so reviews we have not yet added are not able to be added to vanities/wishlists until we have them in the database.
Finally, at the end of each post, you’ll also see a set of ”Related Products” listed. This will show only on products that are in MyTemptalia now, and we are adding all of the new reviews as they are posted, and we are continuing to add in old reviews and new brands/products going forward (we have 38 brands fully implemented, which span 24,000+ products… any volunteers to help us with adding the rest? LOL!).
Next feature we hope to release is a revamped and updated Swatch Gallery. We have a whole laundry list of features we’ll be adding, and as we roll them out, I will be sure to update you. Thank you for all of your feedback and patience!
It is with much excitement (and nervousness!) that I get to announce something that’s been incubating in the back of our brains for two years, and this year, we’ve put all of our resources into making that dream a reality. Temptalia is about making shopping for and buying beauty products easier with high-quality photos, swatches, and trusted reviews. That’s why we have features like the Dupe List, Foundation Matrix, and the Swatch Gallery. And now, we’re introducing MyTemptalia.
MyTemptalia is about connecting our resources with all of you, and then coming together to create something exciting, powerful, and useful for every person who’s thought, “Would that lipstick work for me? Is that lipstick similar this other lipstick I have? Would this eyeshadow match this lipgloss? If I like this blush, what other shade would suit me?” We hope that over the next few months, we’ll be able to fully answer these questions as we integrate existing features and introduce more new ones on the foundation we’re launching today.
We are a knowledgeable community who is enthusiastic about all things beauty, and there’s no shortage of expertise that each of us is able offer to the next person. In our initial launch of features, we’ve taken the products we’ve reviewed and integrated them into a product database that allows you to contribute your feedback, keep track of products you own and want to own, as well as discover new products and hear from others with similar coloring if it worked or didn’t. You can also inspire others and get inspired by looks submitted by community members–and you might even be featured for your contribution to the community!
- VANITY: Keep track of products you own — you can view them as a gallery or as a list (printable version coming soon!) You’ll also see this icons integrated into my reviews here on the main blog shortly!
- WISHLIST: Keep a running list of products you’re interested in or want to purchase in the future! Coming soon: quickly add a product just posted on the blog to your wishlist!
- QUICK REVIEWS: We know you’re busy, so rate and run! Give a product a star (or five), then select tags like pigmented and travel-friendly!
- LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT: Love and leave ‘em like the heartbreaker you are! You can check out well-loved products for the week, month, etc.!
- LOOKS: Inspire others by submitting your hair, makeup, and nail looks–or get inspired by the community! If you create tutorials, you can drive traffic back to your blog/YouTube, too!
- FEATURED: You just might get featured for your contributions to the community!
More Features & More Brands Coming Soon!
- All existing features, like The Dupe List, Foundation Matrix, and Swatch Gallery will be interconnected to MyTemptalia! Soon you’ll be to refine, sort, vote, and more to ensure better accuracy and usability of matches and potential dupes! (I’m nearly dying waiting for the completion of the Swatch Gallery. I can’t wait to refine brown eyeshadows down to the undertone and finish!!)
- Monthly themes and contests!
- More brands and their product catalogs will be continually added to the product database as we go forward (37 included at initial launch)
- And the rest is top secret!
Thank you to…
- Family & friends for understanding why we’ve basically ignored you for the last four months.
- Shaun (my husband) & Nick (my brother-in-law), our resident technical team, who built this beast from the ground-up and handled my demands with dignity. There were only minor skirmishes and everyone lived to tell the tale! Please consider thanking @shauntechguy and @nicktechguy for their work behind-the-scenes. Meagan, my sister, for compiling a lot of data and probably crossing her eyes. (Can you tell Temptalia is a family business?)
- Mellan for providing the comic relief–and reminding me when it was dinner time.
- Our readers for motivating us without even knowing it. There were some dark moments, and you kept us going!
You can check my profile out here!
UPDATED AT 5/3 AT 11:01 PM PST: We think we’ve managed to cure most registration issues as well as resolve any outstanding activations that haven’t been received. Let us know if you have any problems by leaving a comment or emailing shaun[at]temptalia.com or nick[at]temptalia.com and they can help you directly! Thank you for your patience!