10,000 Posts, Oh My!
I’m a celebrator–I love celebrating milestones in life! Sometimes we get caught up in the process and don’t take time to enjoy what we have worked hard for, and I think that is why I like to take time to celebrate various dates, anniversaries, and milestones.
This post marks our 10,000th post on Temptalia, which is just really exciting for me personally! These milestones in Temptalia’s history also give me a moment to extend the biggest thank you to our amazing readers! Without you, I would not have a reason to post! I’m so blessed to be a part of such an inspiring, knowledgeable community. Here’s to the next 10,000 posts!
Coffee is always a good blogging companion!
Behind-the-Scenes: Lessons from Blogging
One of the most frequently asked questions I receive via e-mail is, “How do I start a beauty blog?” or some variation on that theme—why do you blog, when did you start, how do I get readers, how do you manage your time, and so on and so forth. I thought with today being Saturday and part of the long, holiday weekend, that perhaps I’d take a post to try and give some advice to any aspiring beauty bloggers and some insight on the behind-the-scenes at Temptalia.
Get the Resources and Tools to Become a Beauty Blogger
I do want to make a point that I take blogging seriously; this is not just a hobby to me. I believe that you get what you put in. With that being said, my advice is from that perspective—I plan my life around the blog, not the other way around. This is what has worked for me, but I understand many who want to blog more as a hobby and escape from their everyday lives. These are not rules but lessons I’ve learned from the past (almost) five years of blogging that I want to share to those who may aspire to blog or are already blogging but would like more insight.
From time management to content to motivation… Continue reading →
- Tumblr: I love to post quick images of products I’m reviewing, testing, or launch promos. Based on a poll of Facebook fans and Twitter followers, it is a mix of more personal things and beauty, but it is still largely more beauty-oriented!
- Facebook: Keep up with all of the latest posts on Temptalia, plus participate in random questions, polls, and the like that have a direct effect on what might be posted next. I often poll both Facebook fans and Twitter followers when I’m debating between certain products to review or what they might like to see next. It’s so quick and engaging, and it helps me help you. Facebook also allows you to interact with Temptalia readers whenever you want!
- Twitter: When it comes to quickest way to get information out, Twitter is my go-to. Sometimes it might be about a sale, upcoming reviews, or the latest MAC launch available for sale. Twitter is also more active with day-to-day communications from myself than our other social media outlets (like Facebook). Like on Facebook, I often ask for reader input on things I’m working on.
- YouTube: We post a variety of product/swatch slideshows as well as live reviews! If you don’t like much text but love looking at photos, you just might find our slideshow videos a new way to enjoy Temptalia! Live reviews are often first impressions, and I give you my initial thoughts on colors, textures, and the like.
Share Your Jealousy Wakes Looks!
I would love to see any looks you come up with using Jealousy Wakes and share them with Temptalia’s readers. (And if you are camera shy but still want to show me, I’d still love to see it!) Submit your looks to [email protected] by July 1st to be included in the round-up! I only ask that you submit quality photos (no camera phone pics, please!) and your name (just first is fine) — it can be of the eye only or the entire look.
Stay tuned — big giveaway tomorrow with Jealousy Wakes!
Happy Father’s Day!
“Why do I have two sets of antlers, Daddy?” My Dad is known as the Answer Man, because you can ask him any question, and he’ll give you some kind of answer. (It’s usually the right one, but sometimes he’ll turn it into a joke if he doesn’t know it.) He is one of my biggest cheerleaders and supporters–I have been told that both my mom and sister have caught him watching my YouTube videos or catching up on the blog! I’m pretty sure he frequents Temptalia more than my mom and sister do, actually! And I actually call my dad Daddy more often than not.
Today, we wish a happy Father’s Day out to all of the amazing people who have been our fathers in our lives, from fathers, fathers-to-be, uncles, grandfathers, brothers, neighbors, friends, and even fur-dads, for being there for us, supporting our dreams, and loving us in a way only fathers can.
3 Things My Dad Taught Me About Beauty
- Painting your toe nails red just makes it look like your feet are bleeding! I don’t, visually, see that image myself, but whenever I wear red nail polish, I’m instantly reminded of my Dad. It always reminds me that we all have our different tastes, and what one person might not like, someone else may love.
- Perfume is meant to be subtle! Growing up, I wasn’t allowed to wear makeup, and I had to keep any scents subtle because even those were toeing the line. But I think there is something to be said for subtlety in your scent of choice–it should be there, apparent, lingering, but not overwhelming.
- You’re already pretty without makeup! If there was one person who I knew really meant it when they said, “You look better without makeup,” it would be my Dad, and it’s not an insult but how he genuinely feels. There is real joy knowing that someone finds you as beautiful with makeup as they do without.
3 Reasons I Appreciate My Dad
- He is completely and utterly rational. This means he’s not only a good sounding board, but he can be a really calming presence when you’re in the middle of a freak out and feel like your world is falling apart. There is no subterfuge with my Dad; he’ll tell you how it is if you ask him. He’ll help you find a solution the best way that he can.
- Dedication and commitment are rare qualities. He embodies both of these qualities to the fullest, and everyday I strive to be as dedicated and committed as he is to the things he loves most (like family). He does some things everyday that I put on my New Year’s Resolutions’ list every year; like have breakfast and walk the dogs (rain or shine or snow or hail).
- There’s no shame in being smart. I told you, my Dad is the Answer Man, and I grew up playing Jeopardy! with him and having a big, “WHAT?” every time he’d get an answer right. Even today, I’m just like, “How did you know that?” He’s not even a big sports guy, but he’ll get sports questions right.
Feel free to wish anyone in your life a happy Father’s Day, too! I’d love to know what beauty lessons you learned from yours!
Mellan & Shaun… Fur-kid and Fur-Dad
Swatch Gallery: Recent Updates
The Swatch Gallery now contains all previous lipgloss lip swatches, as well as numerous cheek products (blushes, bronzers, highlighters). The eyeshadow section is up in part for some brands (but not all products have been included, even if the brand is listed) and is still very much a work-in-progress.
We are in the process of re-swatching the majority of eyeshadows (along with several cheek products) so that they will work with the Swatch Gallery format–which means single swatches of individual products so that they can easily be compared. We are doing our best to ensure both accurate and consistent lighting, and this is also a major reason why we are determined to re-swatch a great deal of products so that the comparisons will be helpful. (The quality of photos in early 2010 doesn’t even compare to the ones I take now, boo!)
Remember, you can drag the images around to create your own order, which will allow you to compare swatches side-by-side!