Illamasqua: Lip Focus
I am absolutely in LOVE with Illamasqua’s Lipsticks (£14.00 each). The texture, pigmentation, and feel of the two I tried is phenomenal — incredibly smooth, extremely color-rich, and moisturizing. The wear time is top notch, giving me several hours and lasting through drinking a glass of water.
Encounter Lipstick is an opaque shade red that almost looks and feels like a matte, but it is more like a satiny finish with plenty of color and a soft sheen. Not every red works well on me, but this one made me want to go out and show ‘em off!
Obey Lipstick is a pretty coral-pink that’s rich in color so it’s opaque, and it has the same satiny finish of Encounter. I just love when a lipstick is soft, creamy, and has a natural sheen to it. (I find it difficult to wear matte lipsticks sometimes!)
I also tried out Lily Rose Sheer Lipgloss (£12.50 each), which is a semi-sheer red with just a little bit of pink and silver shimmer. It has an ultra glossy look when applied to lips, and it did give my lips plenty of color (kind of looked like watermelon-red on me). It makes me curious to see how intense the Intense Lipglosses are if their Sheer Lipglosses can give me this much color!
Have you tried Illamasqua’s lip products? Any favorites or recommendations?
See swatches and lip swatches… Continue reading →
Illamasqua: Nail Varnishes
Everybody’s been talking about new UK brand Illamasqua, and for good reason–it’s not just hype. For now, let’s talk about their Nail Varnish (£12.50 for 15ml) — I tried out Phallic, which is a rich, deep dark midnight-blue with silver-blue glitter; and Loella, which is a subtle bubblegum pink with fuchsia-pink shimmer. Both shades went on smoothly and opaque with two medium thick coats. I found the formula to be incredibly easy to work with, and I loved how glittery Phallic was without making the texture feel gritty. There’s gotta be at least ten more colors I want to try now!
See swatches… Continue reading →
China Glaze Retro Diva Collection for Fall 2009 – Part 2
Six more shades from China Glaze’s latest launch, and there is sure to be at least one that catches your eye. My personal favorites were Cords, Let’s Groove, and Thunderbird. What are your faves?
- Cords is a metallic-y grayish taupe-brown. It has silver flecks of shimmer and a metallic sheen, but I did find brush strokes to show up more often in the finish.
- Let’s Groove is a rich, vroyal purple with cool purple and hot pink shimmer laced within it. I loved this shade — it looked so stunning on the nails.
- Thunderbird is a vibrant ruby red with softer red shimmer. It applied easily and without a fuss. It’s just such a rich shade of red that made me go “ooh!”
- Skate Night is a raspberryish shade with softer pink-raspberry shimmer. It’s a gorgeous shade, and it is lighter than Stroll, for those who thought they looked the same.
- Cruisin’ is a paler, lighter shade of orange with brown undertones. It has soft orange shimmer. It’s not as bright as Free Love, especially because the brown helps tone it down quite a bit.
- Street Racing is a rustic shade of copper with a little bit of red. It has flecks of bronzy-red shimmer and a metallic finish. I found brush strokes did show up a bit, but not too badly in this one.
See more swatches… Continue reading →
China Glaze Retro Diva Collection for Fall 2009 – Part 1
For fall, China Glaze is bringing back the shades of the 70s for your polishing pleasure. Twelve shades with metallic-y finishes, soft shimmer, and lots of deep hues. Here are six of the twelve, with the second set to follow shortly! Of these six, my favorites were Short & Sassy, Stella, and Stroll.
- Far Out is a warm-toned caramel brown with golden-bronze shimmer. It applies evenly and is opaque in about one medium thick coat or two thin-to-medium coats.
- Short & Sassy is a gorgeous, rich burgundy-red-wine with low shimmer. It’s a rich shade of garnet, which definitely makes it a perfect hue for the cooler fall season.
- Stella is a purple wine shade with fuchsia-pink shimmer. It applies easily and streak-free with either two thin or medium thick coats.
- Stroll is a mostly opaque strawberry-jelly shade of red with golden shimmer weaved through it. I really loved the color itself, but I found application a bit more finnicky, so more precise, clean application is a must.
- Drive In is a fiery red with orange glimmer that really does remind mem of the way fire looks at night. Very pretty!
- Free Love is a bright shade of orange with just a touch of brownish-red in it that keeps it from being too bright. I love the flecks of orange shimmer in it.
See more swatches… Continue reading →
Beauty Basics: MAC Eye Brushes
Beauty Basics is a series covering basic products and tools that help to make applying your makeup easier. To view the entire series to date, be sure to visit the beauty basics, or you can view posts within the series about MAC Eye Brushes.
Focus On: MAC 275 Medium Angled Shading Brush
MAC 275 Medium Angled Shading Brush ($24.50) is medium-sized angled brush with lots of fluffiness. I like this brush for applying concealer around the nose and eyes, and actually do find it can be used to contour small areas like the nose, too. I don’t contour my nose often, if ever, because I guess I’m fairly satisfied with its appearance (it’s a nose — it’s like the foot of the face to me, it’s just there and eh!), but it works better than the 168, which is far too large for the nose area. This also works well to apply highlighter above the cupid’s bow of your lips – just one swipe and voila!
How do you like to use this brush?
See close-ups… Continue reading →
YSL Fall 2009 Collection Sneak Peek – Part 1
YSL for Fall 2009 made our hearts flutter with its stunning promotional imagery. I’m not shocked, either! With the introduction of four new shades of Rouge Volupte, stunning quints, and new Gloss Volupte? I knew this collection was going to cause a stir. Today, let’s preview Frivolous Pink Rouge Volupte ($34.00) — my very favorite lipstick formula — which is a gorgeous shade of milky pink that runs just a touch cool, but it’s not nearly as cool or as pale as Lingerie Pink, but it is not as bright as Fetish Pink. It applies smoothly, evenly, and feels moisturizing as you wear it. This is one of the creamiest lipsticks I’ve had the pleasure of using.
Check out the swatches… Continue reading →