MAC Lightfully Bright Comparison Session
MAC Lightfully Bright Lipglass Dupes & Comparisons
As promised, here are comparison swatches for the four new and limited edition lipglasses from Lightfully Bright. These are sheerer shades, so they are easier to replicate, especially when actually worn, as their effect is subtle.
- ASTRO COOL is less pink in comparison to Lightning and Pas-de-deux, while it is a touch more lavender than She-Zam. They all look comparable on lips, with She-Zam being the closest.
- ATMOSPHERIC is similar to Like Venus, just slightly darker. It is also comparable to Rags to Riches when worn, as it is a darker pink, but it does have gold shimmer in it,so it isn’t as cool-toned. Frozen Dream is more pigmented and cooler-toned, while Lavender Wind is purpler.
- ETHEREAL is a slightly darker and more shimmery version of Chillin’, while it is a lighter version of Best of Breed. It looks more like Chillin’ when worn.
- OUTER SPACE is similar in color to Snowscene, but it is less milky in its base. Almondine has a similar milkiness but is more of a white gold.
MAC Lipglass: Astro Cool, Atmospheric, Ethereal, Outer Space
MAC Lightfully Bright Lipglass Swatches, Photos, Review
The Lightfully Bright Collection contains four skincare products (which I am not currently reviewing, since skincare requires 6-8 weeks of testing and I already decide on what to try 3-4 months in advance to plan accordingly) along with four lipglass shades. Each lipglass retails for $14.50 and comes in standard MAC packaging. The shades include: Astro Cool (light lavender with pink pearl), Atmospheric (pink with blue pearl), Ethereal (pale blue with pink pearl), and Outer Space (white with pink pearl).
- Astro Cool is a pale silvered lavender with flecks of white, silver, and pale lavender shimmer. It just looks like clear gloss with lavender and white shimmer on my lips–it does seem to mute my natural lip color a tad. It looks very similar to She-Zam Dazzleglass–slightly more lavender but hardly noticeable when worn.
- Atmospheric is a light, neutral pink with silver, white, and teal shimmer. Though I have no idea where mine went off to, it is completely different from the original Atmospheric from Blue Storm (’07). It looks like near-clear gloss with white shimmer on my lips. It is similar to Like Venus Dazzleglass.
- Ethereal is a pale, cloudy blue with pink, white, and teal-blue shimmer. It gives my natural lip color a cooler tone to it, while adding a lot of silver shimmer. It’s like a shimmery version of Chillin’ Cremesheen Glass or a lighter version of Best of Breed Lipglass.
- Outer Space is a pale, milky white with pink and white shimmer. It looks like a semi-sheer milky pink with white shimmer on my lips. This is the most pigmented of the four. It is similar to Snowscene. In the tube, it looks very white, but when swatched, there is a lot of pink sheen, so it is also a lighter version of glosses like Cultured, Docile,or Icescape Lipglasses.
As you can tell, these glosses are all quite sheer. They are great for those who want shimmer without much on lips or else as something to layer over lipstick. These are all cool-toned, so they will add some coolness and shimmer over any lipstick.
my thoughts on the formula: MAC Lipglasses are vanlla-scented, and they are typically thick and sticky. However, because of their tackiness, they do tend to wear better and longer (four hours for me). The Lightfully Bright Lipglasses seem like they have a finer shimmer, though I wouldn’t describe it as micro-shimmer.
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 27/30
- Value: 8/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
final thoughts: These shades are sheer, which makes them easier to dupe, because on lips, they look more like clear gloss with shimmer than anything else. (Usually, when you have more noticeable color, the nuances between colors can be more apparent, but with sheer, there is less to differentiate shades.) I kind of feel like for as cool as these names are (and the theme), I would have loved to see the shimmer play more with the light; perhaps more reflective or yield a duochrome finish/sheen.
where to buy: MAC Cosmetics
MAC Wonder Woman Collection
MAC Wonder Woman: Overall & Recommendations
OVERALL, I found the collection rather underwhelming, and I was particularly disappointed in the quality of the eyeshadow quads. I had a few readers ask me what I would purchase if I was normal consumer and not a beauty blogger… and I really don’t know if I’d purchase anything. At best, one or both of the blush duos. There are a few too many repromotes from the permanent range, which is more frustrating because all of the prices are increased with the collaboration than they are normally. I’m surprised they did not create any new shades of pigments for the launch.
Heroine lipstick is actually a very lovely shade, but I can see it being difficult to wear. Spitfire is a shade that we’ve been seeing in slightly different variations over the past six months. Wonder Woman lipglass had promise but the sheerness seemed off–this is Wonder Woman, where the packaging is bold and bright! Both blushes had nice pigmentation and were smooth, so I did like those. I’m just not thrilled to see the $24 price tag accompany them–at least you do get more for your money. Golden Lariat mineralize skinfinish pulls rather orange, so it is a more limited shade; it should work lovely on warm, medium to dark skin tones. Pink Power mineralize skinfinish is more universally wearable, but it is awkward to hold and feels gigantic.
I’m not sure which product disappointed me more: the eyeshadow quads or the oversized (but now awkward to use) Penultimate eyeliner. Ultimately, the pigmentation and texture are lacking in all three eyeshadow quads, with Defiance being the least pigmented. Some shades are almost chalky, but the texture is thin–almost had. I felt like I had to scrape out product in order to build up a swatch. Each palette had one, maybe two, shades that did have a soft, smooth texture and decent pigmentation, but one shade does not a palette make.
I tihnk the packaging is fine–you either love it or hate it. It’s certainly not packaging that will appeal to all. I have no emotional attachment to Wonder Woman (didn’t watch her, don’t know her back story, etc.), and it’s not my aesthetic, but I don’t carry around my makeup, so it wouldn’t matter to me that I don’t love it if the product inside high quality–but the packaging would compel me to buy just to have it.
Photos, Reviews, Swatches
Check out my recommendations, what to check your stash for, what to skip, and recommendations by skin tone! Continue reading →
Wonder Woman Comparison “Session”
MAC Wonder Woman: Blush and Mineralize Skinfinish Comparisons & Dupes
Here are comparisons for the blushes and mineralize skinfinishes! If I did not compare something, the most likely reason is because I do not own it.
- AMAZON PRINCESS (magenta side) is a lighter version of Her Blooming Cheek, while Band of Roses is less blue-based.
- AMAZON PRINCESS (redder side) is closest to New Vibe, which is slightly less intense. Band of Roses is a darker red with no coral. NARS Sin doesn’t compare.
- MIGHTY APHRODITE (pink coral side) is similar to Guerlain Blush G (pink side, not mixed) and NARS Deep Throat, which is a little less pink. Ripe Peach is more orange-based (this used equal parts of it; if you used the darker half, then it would be more similar). Benefit Bella Bamba is pinker, while Bite of an Apple is redder and darker (nothing alike).
- MIGHTY APHRODITE (red coral side) is pinker than Bite of an Apple.
- GOLDEN LARIAT (highlighting side) did not compare to any other highlighter I owned, because it has a very strong yellow base. It’s kindof like using Goldmine eyeshadow as a highlighter. NARS Albatross, for example, goes on as a white gold.
- GOLDEN LARIAT (bronzing side) is darker and less golden than both Comfort and Sunny by Nature. Gold Deposit is bronzy in comparison. A Little Bit of Sunshine is cooler and darker. Cheeky Bronze is similar in color but the gold shimmer makes it appear lighter.
- GOLDEN LARIAT (blushing side)is a touch darker than A Little Bit of Sunshine.
- PINK POWER (highlighting side) is paler than both Perfect Topping and Happy Together, which appear more beige.
- PINK POWER (bronzing side) is less golden than both Comfort and Sunny by Nature.
- PINK POWER (blushing side) has less pink than both Springsheen and NARS Super Orgasm.
Wonder Woman Comparison “Session”
MAC Wonder Woman: Lipstick & Lipglass Comparisons & Dupes
Here are comparisons for the lipglasses and lipsticks! If I did not compare something, the most likely reason is because I do not own it.
- ATHENA’S KISS is most comparable to Magnetique, which is just a bit darker. Funtabulous is sheerer and less intense, while True Babe is brighter, lighter, and bluer-based. Fierce & Fabulous is too pink, while Hot House is significantly darker and Electric Fuchsia is purpler.
- EMANCIPATION is a little lighter than Bare Necessities, while Devilishly Stylish is a touch less pink but otherwise very similar. Feeling Dreamy is a paler variation, and Young Spark is darker.
- SECRET IDENTITY is rustier than Crescent, and it is much lighter than Liqueur. Oh Baby is too bronzy, while Kumquat is similar in feel but obviously lighter.
- WONDER WOMAN is more of a true red than Wicked Ways, which is bluer-based. Cult of cherry is a deeper red with finer shimmer. Russian Red is similar in color, but more opaque and has no shimmer. I think Venetian should be closer, but I do not own it.
- HEROINE is unlike anything I own, though I think it may compare to Strength (which I do not own). Bronze Shimmer is too coppery, Honeymoon is so light and pale in comparison, and Gel is really nothing alike.
- MARQUISE D’ is closest to Hug Me, which is a little darker, and Sandy B, which is a little pinker. Angel is far too pink, while Innocence Beware and Hue are paler and pinker.
- SPITFIRE is darker and less magenta than Petals & Peacocks, Gladiola, and Madly Magenta. Pomposity has a brighter frost with more fuchsia. Style Curve is sheerer and purpler.
Eyeshadow Comparison “Session”
MAC Wonder Woman: Eyeshadow Quad Comparisons & Dupes
Here are swatch comparisons for the three eyeshadow quads from the collection… If it is not included in here, it is most likely because I do not own it.
- DEFIANCE is a lot pinker in comparison to Vanilla, while it is more comparable to Pink Opal under natural light (but less so with flash; Pink Opal reflects more and looks whiter). Ego is pinker.
- PARADISE ISLAND is a little cooler-toned than Pink Papillon, while it is pinker than Pen ‘n’ Pink, and less frosty than Urban Decay Sphynx.
- STAR STUDDED is lighter and less violet than Vibrant Grape, while it is significantly lighter than Fig. 1.
- REAL DRAMA is less red than Deep Damson, and it is slightly less red compared to Sketch, but it is fairly similar to the latter.
- LADY JUSTICE is just a less pigmented version of Forgery and Urban Decay Uzi. At the most, it is less bright.
- INSURMOUNTABLE is a shade I do not have a dupe of, and the closest I could find in my stash was Korres #42S, which is paler and frosty. I’m not saying there are no dupes (check the review–I listed some that I do not own), just that I couldn’t find anything I own that is.
- BOLD BABE is more muted than Houglass Prism and Love Lace, both appear bluer. Dandizette is a richer blue and not really a dupe.
- MANILA PAPER is just a smidgen whiter in comparison to Nylon, but they are very, very similar. Creme de Miel is significantly yellower, while Rose Blanc and Soft Force are noticeably yellower though not as yellow as Creme de Miel.
- VALIANT is a paler, slightly yellower version of Juxt. Korres #44S is nearly identical–slightly greener. Metamorph is greener. NARS Sea, Sex, Sun is far too dark and green to compare.
- DIANA UNDERCOVER is less teal in comparison to Bottle Green, while it is greener than Femme Noir.
- SPINNING TRANSFORMATION is similar in the base color as Make Up For Ever #47, which is slightly greener and has no shimmer. Sumptuous Olive is browner, more metallic, but closest that I had. Hourglass Dune is much, much darker and not comparable.