Givenchy #14, MAC Prussian, Dolce & Gabbana #8, YSL #03, MUFE #3L, MAC Marine Ultra, UD Binge, Chanel Marine, tokidoki Skeletro, MUFE #15L
Dark/Navy Blue Eyeliner Comparisions & Dupes
As promised, here are navy blue pencil eyeliner comparisons!
- Givenchy #14 Magic Khol is a sheer violet-toned navy blue.
- MAC Prussian Powerpoint Eye Pencil is a darkened blue with a subtle violet edge.
- Dolce & Gabbana #8 Eyeliner is a navy blue with satin sheen. (Review)
- YSL Oriental Blue (03) Eyeliner is a medium-dark, brightened navy blue with a creamy finish. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #3L Aqua Eyes is a navy blue with satin sheen. (Review)
- MAC Marine Ultra Chromagraphic Pencil is a medium-dark ocean blue with a creamy finish. (Review)
- Urban Decay Binge 24/7 Liner is a darkened navy blue with purple tinge. (Review)
- Chanel Marine Long-Lasting Eyeliner is a deep navy blue with a black-blue base and silver shimmer. (Review)
- tokidoki Skeletro Glitter Eyeliner is a deep navy blue with a black-blue base and silver glitter. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #15L Aqua Eyes is a lightened dark blue with soft sheen. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! It appears that Dolce & Gabbana #8 Eyeliner and Make Up For Ever #3L Aqua Eyes are rather similar — possibly just the slightest difference in blue-ness.
DUPE ALERT!Both Chanel Marine Long-Lasting Eyeliner and tokidoki Skeletro Glitter Eyeliner are not far behind, just slightly darker and with a stronger blacker base, but the two themselves are quite similar. Skeletro has more glitter (whereas Marine has shimmer).
Formula/Wear: I have not tested Givenchy Magic Khol, so I cannot attest to its wear. YSL Eyeliners don’t seem to last all day on me, and Dolce & Gabbana can be hit or miss, but this particular shade lasted through a yoga session (and all day). tokidoki’s Glitter Eyeliners can be scratchy on the lash line because of the size of the glitter particles but wear fine otherwise.
CoverGirl Blue Boom, UD Deviant, Tarina Tarantino Glamorous Thief, NARS Kitty, MAC Hi-Def Cyan, Korres #13, MAC Smoothline, Milani Aqua, MUFE #7L, UD Electric, Tarina Tarantino Kanzashi, tokidoki Rondine
Blue Eyeliner Comparisions & Dupes
I think I may have more blue eyeliners than any other color in my stash. It’s definitely a close race between blue and green, though! These are just medium to light blues – I kept navy blues separate.
- CoverGirl Blue Boom Liquiline Blast is a medium-dark ocean blue. (Review)
- Urban Decay Deviant 24/7 Liner is a medium-dark ocean blue with subtle silver sparkle. (Review)
- Tarina Tarantino Glamorous Thief Dream Hyperliner is a medium-dark ocean blue with subtle silver sparkle. (Review)
- NARS Kitty Eyeliner is a medium-dark blue with a cream finish. (Review)
- MAC Hi-Def Cyan Chromagraphic Pencil is a sky blue with a cream finish. (Review)
- Korres #13 Eyeliner is a periwinkle blue with a cream finish.
- MAC Smoothline Technakohl Liner is a darkened blue-based teal with a satin sheen. It’s more aqua than blue.
- Milani Aqua Liquif’Eye Liner is a medium-dark teal. Though not included in this comparison, it is very similar to Urban Decay’s Covet. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #7L Aqua Eyes is a bright, lightened blue. (Review)
- Urban Decay Electric 24/7 Liner is a bright, lightened blue. (Review)
- Tarina Tarantino Kanzashi Dream Hyperliner is a bright, lightened blue. (Review)
- tokidoki Rondine Glitter Eyeliner is a medium sky blue with silver glitter. (Review
DUPE ALERT! I think it’s safe to say that CoverGirl Blue Boom Liquiline Blast, Urban Decay Deviant 24/7 Liner, and Tarina Tarantino Glamorous Thief Dream Hyperliner are very, very similar. I would say they are dupes, with the exception of Glamorous Thief being a smidgen darker.
DUPE ALERT! It is apparent that Make Up For Ever #7L Aqua Eyes, Urban Decay Electric 24/7 Liner, and Tarina Tarantino Kanzashi Dream Hyperliner are very, very similar.
Formula/Wear: CoverGirl Liquiline Blast and NARS Eyeliner are the only two that have any issues based on my experience. CoverGirl just requires more layering, as it is not as pigmented as the other shades here. NARS, however, I’ve had a lot of migrating issues with, but I encourage you to read the review and the comments. tokidoki Glitter Eyeliner stays on well but can be scratchy against the lash line due to the glitter particles.
UD Baked, MUFE #10L, UD Lucky, MUFE #23L, UD Midnight Cowboy
Bronze/Copper Eyeliner Comparisions & Dupes
I wanted to separate my bronzes from my browns and golds, just because they do seem like a category on its own… the problem was I didn’t really have very many to compare.
- Urban Decay Baked 24/7 Liner is a warmed over bronze with flecks of copper. It is very similar to Make Up For Ever’s #10L. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #10L Aqua Eyes is a warm bronze with gold sheen. It is very similar to Urban Decay’s Baked. (Review)
- Urban Decay Lucky 24/7 Liner is a dark copper brown with sheen. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #23L Aqua Eyes is a pale champagne beige with a high sheen. It is slightly lighter than Urban Decay’s Midnight Cowboy. (Review)
- Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy 24/7Liner is a pale champagne beige with shine. It is slightly darker than Make Up For Ever #23L. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! It looks like Urban Decay Baked 24/7 Liner and Make Up For Ever #10L Aqua Eyes are dupes! The Urban Decay version seems like its copper flecks are more apparent.
DUPE ALERT! It looks like Make Up For Ever #23L Aqua Eyes and Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy 24/7 Liner are near dupes–Urban Decay’s is slightly darker, but the two are incredibly close. If you can’t shell out $92 for the entire liner set, #23L will hold you over in the meanwhile.
Formula/Wear: Both Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liners and Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Eyes wear very well on me–both last all day. Urban Decay’s formula is slightly softer, but they both glide on well.
Prescriptives Blue Grotto, NYX Emerald City, MUFE #20L, MUFE #12L, Stila Peacock,
NARS Kaliste, Tarina Tarantino Spark of Envy, UD Covet, UD Flipside, YSL #9, Chanel Jade
Teal Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
This is a mix of green, blue, and teal–I was going for just, but some of these look rather blue.
- Prescriptives Blue Grotto Eye Kohl is a deep teal-blue with a near matte finish. I swatched this one, even though it’s been discontinued, because I was hoping to find a dupe for it in a permanent liner so I could wear it more often in looks! NARS Kaliste gets very close in color, but NARS Eyeliner migrate so badly on me.
- NYX Emerald City Eye Pencil is a dark forest green.
- Make Up For Ever #20L Aqua Eyes is a green-teal with very fine teal shimmer. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #12L Aqua Eyes is a medium-dark blue with blue sheen. (Review)
- Stila Peacock Smudge Stick is a bright medium blue. It’s not as teal as you’d think–it definitely pulls rather blue, but it is a beautiful shade. It’s almost a royal blue. (Review)
- NARS Kaliste Eyeliner is a bluish teal with a near matte finish. It’s very similar to Prescriptives Blue Grotto. I love the color and the softness of the pencil, but it smudges so badly on me. (Review)
- Tarina Tarantino Spark of Envy Eyeliner is a medium teal with silver sparkle and reflective sheen. Fans of Urban Decay’s 24/7 Liner formula will also like Tarina Tarantino’s. (Review)
- Urban Decay Covet 24/7 Liner is a dark jewel-tone teal with a satin sheen. (Review)
- Urban Decay Flipside 24/7 Liner is a bright, light-medium blue. (Review)
- YSL #9 Eyeliner is a soft blue with a smidgen of teal. (Review)
- Chanel Jade Stylo Yeux is a green-teal with a satin sheen. (Review)
DUPE ALERT! If you have better luck with NARS Eyeliner than I do, you can dupe with NARS Kaliste Eyeliner.
Product Formulas/Wear: All of these wear all day long on me except NARS Eyeliners and YSL Eyeliners. NARS Eyeliners migrate and smudge terribly on me. I urge you to check out the NARS review and comment section, because some readers had similar experiences while others had great ones! YSL Eyeliners do some smudging and budging, too–not as much as NARS, but still not liners I would go to first.
Green Eyeliner: MAC Tealo, Korres #4, MUFE #16L, MAC Jade Way,
UD Mildew, shu uemura #07, UD Graffiti, tokidoki Sandy, MUFE #17L, CoverGirl
Green Glow, NARS Parrot Cay, Korres #12
Green Eyeliner Comparisons & Dupes
I’m always surprised by the sheer variety you can have within a single color. You have deep, muted, cool, warm greens. You have undertones. You have finishes. It’s just incredible how even a slight alteration to a color can change it.
- MAC Tealo Powerpoint Eye Pencil is a darkened green-based teal with a creamy matte finish.
- Korres #4 Eyeliner Pencil is a muted medium-dark green with a creamy matte finish.
- Make Up For Ever #16L Aqua Eyes is a muted medium green with green shimmer. It is a lighter version of Korres #4. (Review)
- MAC Jade Way Technakohl Liner is a dark teal with a softly blackened teal base. It is a tealer version of Urban Decay’s Mildew.
- Urban Decay Mildew 24/7 Liner is a dark forest green. It has a blacker base, and less teal and more green than MAC Jade Way. (Review)
- shu uemura ME Green 07 Drawing Pencil is a light-medium green base with a soft golden sheen.
- Urban Decay Graffiti 24/7 Liner is a medium grassy green with cool undertones. (Review)
- tokidoki Sandy Glitter Eyeliner is a medium grassy green with warmer undertones and gold glitter. It is yellower and a little brighter (plus has gold flecks) compared to Urban Decay’s Graffiti. (Review)
- Make Up For Ever #17L Aqua Eyes is a pale chartreuse green with strong gold sheen. It is a much lighter, paler version of CoverGirl Green Glow. (Review)
- CoverGirl Green Glow Liquiline Blast is a bright pop of chartreuse green with a lighter chartreuse sheen. (Review)
- NARS Parrot Cay Eyeliner is a pale sea foam green with a creamy matte finish. It is similar to Korres #12 but leans greener. (Review)
- Korres #12 Eyeliner Pencil is a pale aqua with a creamy matte finish. It is similar to NARS Parrot Cay, but it leans a little bluer.
SIMILARITY ALERT! (I don’t think any of these are close enough to call a true dupe, but there are a couple that are quite similar.) The general feel of Korres #4 Eyeliner Pencil and Make Up For Ever #16L Aqua Eyes are very similar, but Korres is a shade or two darker and has less shimmer. MAC Jade Way Technakohl Liner and Urban Decay Mildew 24/7 Liner also seem similar at first glance, though MAC Jade Way has less black in its base and is tealer, while Urban Decay Mildew has a blacker base and leans greener. Make Up For Ever #17L Aqua Eyes and CoverGirl Green Glow Liquiline Blast are both chartreuse greens, but CoverGirl Green Glow is much darker and brighter–less gold. NARS Parrot Cay Eyeliner and Korres #12 Eyeliner Pencil are also similar, but NARS leans greener while Korres leans bluer (but they are close!).
Product Formulas/Wear: All of these wear all day long on me except NARS Eyeliners, which migrate and smudge terribly on me. I urge you to check out the NARS review and comment section, because some readers had similar experiences while others had great ones! I have not tested shu uemura’s formula at this time. CoverGirl tends to need a second pass for true color intensity. I’m not a fan of tokidoki’s Glitter Eyeliners, because their texture is rather rough from the gritty glitter, but they wear fine.
Smashbox Eye Wish Eyeshadow Palette
Wish Big with Smashbox for the Holidays
Smashbox Eye Wish Eyeshadow Palette ($45.00) is a limited edition holiday palette that contains twelve eyeshadows, four cream eyeliners, and trial sizes of mascara and eyeshadow primer. It’s housed in a yellow gold flip-top rectangular box (think Urban Decay’s Book of Shadows). Inside the palette is a mirror along with a how-to booklet.
- 1 is a softened dark orange with gold sheen. It’s a touch sheer.
- 2 is a plum-tinged silver gray. This one was sheer.
- 3 is a yellowed beige with a matte finish. It wasn’t really chalky, but it was a little sheer.
4 is a pale warm pink. Nice pigmentation and very smooth.
- 5 is a molten bronze with warm amber undertones. It reminded me of MAC’s Amber Lights + Bronze mixed together. This was one of the nicest shades in the palette for its rich pigmentation and smooth texture.
- 6 is a pink-mauve with a frosted sheen. The pigmentation was nice with this shade.
- 7 is a medium blue with aqua-blue sheen and shimmer. It looked cooler in the pan, but it’s still pretty swatched–the sheen just seemed more noticeable in the pan.
- 8 is a soft medium-dark gray with a soft silver sheen. It had nice color pay off.
- 9 is a chocolate bronze with a soft frost finish. It went on easily and smoothly.
- 10 is a muted cool-toned purple plum. This was a little chalky.
- 11 is a deep peacock blue with a satin sheen. It could have been a little more pigmented, but it worked better during application than swatched.
- 12 medium-dark gray with a satin sheen.
- 13 is a chocolate brown with red undertones and flecks of pale gold shimmer.
- 14is a deep plum purple with light purple and pink shimmer.
- 15 is a deep teal-blue.
- 16 is a charcoal black with a silver sheen.
I want to specifically call attention to the fact that the liners are noted as generic “cream eyeliners.” Smashbox has a line of cream eyeliners called Jet Set, which have a good reputation, but these liners aren’t labeled as such, so I am going to assume (and hope) that they are not Jet Set liners. These liners take forever to dry, and they smudge easily–which is nice initially–but they don’t seem to stay in place at all for me. They just migrate, migrate, migrate, and this leads to… a migraine. Ha, ha. I couldn’t even get them to work well as a base, because they sheer out quite a bit and don’t set fast enough before settling into the crease.
I did like how Smashbox coordinated the columns of eyeshadows, though–and there are certainly a lot of looks one could do with this palette. There is a good mix of colors and neutrals, but I will say this palette leans on the cooler side, with the exception of the browns which are warmer. Overall, the eyeshadow quality is good across the board, with some shades being more average (like #1, 2, 3, and 4) and a couple (like #5, 6, and 9) being really nice with full pigmentation and smooth application. The lightest shades (#1, 2, 3, and 4) were the sheerest and more problematic. The texture of these didn’t seem quite as soft of Smashbox’s eyeshadows, but they were still soft, and overall, they seemed less powdery than typical Smashbox eyeshadows.
The palette includes 0.63 oz. worth of eyeshadow (works out to be 0.0525 oz. each) and 0.105 oz. (works out to be 0.0263 oz. each) worth of cream eyeliner, along with a miniature-sized Lash DNA Mascara (0.20 oz.) and Lid Primer (0.02 oz.). Compared to the cost of full-sized equivalent products, the palette has $170 worth of eyeshadow, $23 worth of eyeliner, $12 worth of mascara, and $5 worth of lid primer–the whole palette coming to a total of $210 worth of Smashbox products for a price of $45. To sum all that up, yes, this is a value palette–the eyeshadows alone make it worthwhile (in terms of quantity/price).
If you want to know more about how products are evaluated, read out Rating System FAQ!
- Product: 26/30
- Value: 10/10
- Ease of Use: 4/5
- Packaging: 4/5
RECOMMENDATION: I wouldn’t rely on this palette for the eyeliners, but if you like the colors included for eyeshadow, then it’s definitely a good value.
AVAILABILITY: Nordstrom and Sephora