Summer Makeup: Go Blue or Go Home!
Thank goodness it’s Friday! I am a big fan of blue eyeshadow, and I really do think everyone should try a totally, full-on blue (I totally wanted to say Bang On Blue!) look at least once in their lifetime, even if they never wear it outside of the house.
I will say a couple things about this look: Atlantic Blue makes this look. Haight gets lost in it. I listed it, because I did use it, but I don’t think you need it to recreate this look at all. You could also go with a cooler, pinker blush — sometimes all the coolness on my naturally warmer skin tone can be odd, so I wanted to try it with a bronzey cheek instead. I also went very heavy on mascara, since I wasn’t going to apply false lashes, to make my lashes visible against the blue.
You will need the following…
- Eyes: NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base (neutral eyeshadow base), Urban Decay Aquarius Eyeshadow (light aqua-blue), Urban Decay Dashiki Eyeshadow (medium sky blue), Urban Decay Haight Eyeshadow (teal), MAC Atlantic Blue Eyeshadow (dark blue), MAC Femme Fi Eyeshadow (highlighter), MAC Blue Herizon Liquidlast Liner (blue), MAC Electric Eel Eyeshadow (bright blue), Make Up For Ever #7L Aqua Eyes (turquoise), MAC Plushlash Mascara (black)
- Face: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation (140), Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder (translucent)
- Cheeks: MAC Get-Away Bronze Blush (reddish bronze)
- Lips: MAC Beachbound Lipstick (peachy melon), MAC Splashing Lipglass (pink)
- Brushes: 249 (flat, firm brush), 239 (fluffy shadow brush), 226 (fluffy crease brush), 219 (pointed crease brush), 116 (dense blush brush)
- Substitutes: Femme-fi = Shroom; Get-Away Bronze = Format; Beachbound = Melon pigment; Splashing = Flusterose
For eyes, start by applying Smudgeproof as your eyeshadow base all over the eye area with the 249. Using the 239, apply Aquarius eyeshadow on the inner half of the lid and pull upwards along the inner crease. Lightly blend Dashiki eyeshadow on the outer half of the lid with the 239. Next, apply Haight eyeshadow into the crease with the 226, lightly blending outwards and upwards to fade to the brow bone. Define the crease with Atlantic Blue eyeshadow and the 226. Blend Femme-fi eyeshadow with the crease shade and highlight the brow bone. Bring everything together by applying #7L eyeliner on the lower lash line and blending Aquarius eyeshadow underneath. Line the upper lash line with Blue Herizon liquidlast liner applied with the 208; then pat Electric Eel eyeshadow on top to lighten. Finish by sweeping lashes with Plushlash mascara.
For cheeks, apply Get-Away Bronze blush on the apples of the cheeks and sweep upwards towards the temple with the 116.
For lips, apply Beachbound lipstick first, and then layer Splashing lipglass for a complementing lip.