Check out MAC’s Question & Answer sessions with James Gager (SVP, Creative Director of MAC), Jennifer Balbier (SVP Product Development of MAC), and Fafi (the designer who inspired the line).
Q&A with James Gager, Senior Vice President & Creative Director MAC Worldwide
Q: How did the collaboration with FAFI develop?
A: Ironically, Fafi wasn’t in my mind when we first began.
I was working with photographer, Richard Burbridge, and we started shooting photographs of this beautiful Asian woman with a renegade spirit and style, playing with makeup, different fashion accessories, and a video camera. It really conveyed the feeling that captures the spirit of youth today in terms of dressing up, experimenting and using technology as a form of expression. I then worked with Jennifer Balbier to shape it into a spring collection, elaborating on the playful idea behind the Barbie collection, but in a way that reflects this new generation. After doing research, we came across the work of Fafi, and from there we got the idea to merge illustration with photography. We are using art as a vehicle — merging photography with animation, and then integrating it with fashion, trends, colour, and forwardness.
Q: What makes FAFI a good fit for MAC?
A: MAC has its pulse on fashion, trends, art, the youth culture and what’s happening on the streets and in the world. The Fafi collaboration embodies our connection with the world of art, and fuses MAC’s philosophy that makeup
should be about play, experimentation, and making the customer feel good and have fun. When we met with Fafi, she was this amazing, young carefree hip person who also happened to be a true artist, so the collaboration ended up being a perfect match. We’re also about All Ages, All Races and All Sexes with the Fafinette characters representing that as well.
Q: Who will FAFI appeal to?
A: Everyone. They will certainly appeal to a younger generation, but I believe the world of Fafi is one that all ages will enjoy. Everyone wants to escape into a world of fantasy and imagination, and that’s what this collection offers. Customers want to feel young, so I think it’s likely that say, a soccer mom would be as intrigued by this collection as well as a younger consumer.
Keep reading for the rest of James’ interview, plus Jennifer and Fafi’s! Continue reading →
Don’t speak! Lips in danger of all manner of delicious indiscretion, so seductive in colour, shine, staying power, everyone’s looking and listening — so be careful of what you say! Seven new Slimshine Lipstick shades in addition to 13 bring-backs for ultra-glossy conversation in lurid, living colour. Oh yes, people will talk.
- Think Tan Deep reddish brown with gold (frost)
- Assertive Rusty brown with gold pearl (frost)
- Voile Canary yellow with gold pearl (frost)
- Missy Creamy pastel coral (cream)
- Grenadine Creamy deep blue red (cream)
- Rock Out Clean bright blue pink with gold pearl (frost)
- Intimidate Creamy plummy pink (cream)
- Bare Light neutral pink with subtle gold pearl (frost)
- Pleasing Mid-tone violet with red and gold pearl (frost)
- Long Stem Rose Light baby pink with subtle gold pearl (frost)
- Scant Mid-tone dirty plum with gold pearl (frost)
- Mousse Mid-tone caramel brown (cream)
- Lovey-Dove Mid-tone terracotta with subtle bronze pearl (frost)
- Prudeaux Dark rich burgundy plum (cream)
- Ultra-Elegant Light neutral beige (cream)
- Funshine Shimmery soft apricot pink (frost)
- Urgent! Classic mid-tone red (frost)
- Cocoamour Neutral cool brown with matching pearl (frost)
- Most Wanted Intense purplish-red with metallic golden shimmer (frost)
- Gaily Soft mid-tone berry pink with pearl (frost)
Suggested Retail Price $14.50 U.S./$17.50 CDN. Available at stores currently, and www.maccosmetics.com.
See product photos! Continue reading →
Fafi is a French artist who conjures up the most curvaceous cuties — chick-a-boom characters that make us smile. A Fafi girl is a nymphette with a Ph.D. in passion — she’s an adventuress with a very animated love life! From Toulouse to Tokyo, the movie of her life is a rags-to-riches love story, an electric Technicolor dream in violet, coral and strawbaby anime. Find her pouting on compacts, preening on packaging, and as the cutest doll we’ve ever seen — soon to be on every MAC lover’s vanity.
- Fun ‘n’ Sexy Blue pink with blue pearl (glaze)
- Not So Innocent Sheer tan with pink and peach pearl (glaze)
- Utterly Frivolous Rosy coral with pink pearl (lustre)
- High Top Grey purple with blue pearl (glaze)
- Flash-n-Dash Intense tangerine red with pink pearl (glaze)
- Strawbaby Coral rose with rainbow pearl (lustre)
- Cult Fave Blue mid-tone pink with white pearl (frost)
- Sugar Trance Creamy soft pink with white and rainbow pearl (frost)
- Squeeze It Brassy plum (frost)
- Totally It Sheer bright pink with intense pink pearl (frost)
Fafi Eyes 1
- Howzat Deep grey with silver sparkle (satin)
- Hey Neutral tan with white pearl (veluxe pearl)
- Pink Venus Washed pink (lustre)
- Vanilla Soft pale-peachy-ivory flecked with shimmer (velvet)
Fafi Eyes 2
- Bold as Gold Yellow gold with gold pearl (lustre)
- You’re Fresh Pale green with silver sparkle (lustre)
- Shockwave Intense orange with silver sparkle (velvet)
- Prankster Muted dark blue (satin)
- Nice Vice Dirty purple with purple pearl (frost)
- Girl Friendly Creamy grey pink (cream)
- Layin’ Low Creamy beige (cream)
- Cash Flow Green gold with gold pearl (frost)
- Perky Cream coral with white pearl (satin)
- Rollickin’ Aqua blue green with white pearl (frost)
- Blacktrack Solid flat black
- Smolder Intense black
- Fascinating Snake-eyes matte white
- Hipness Intense coral with soft white pearl
- Fashion Frenzy Mid-tone blue pink
IRIDESCENT PRESSED POWDER
- Sassed-up Soft coral pink with gold sparkle
- Verve-acaious Intense yellow gold with gold pearl
- Belightful Gilded peach bronze
- Girls Will Be Girls Pink with coral pearl
- Boom! Rich eggplant with purple pearl
- 210 Precise Eye Liner Firm, extra-fine tip brush for precision lining with emollient or water-based products. Replacement to old MAC 210 Eye Liner Brush.
- 129SH Powder/Blush (with decorated pouch) Soft natural fluffed dome Brush for application of powder products on cheeks and face. In a special decorated Fafi-themed pouch.
- 208 Angled Brow Brush Firm, angled tip Brush for precision application of brow and eye-lining product.
- 182 Buffer Brush Ultra-soft, large, rounded dome tip Brush for use with powder face and cheek product.
Available February 13th, 2008 in most US and Canada locations, as well as www.maccosmetics.com.
Check out a TON more photos! Continue reading →
We have a TON of information about the Fafi collection, which launches today in most locations, but call your store to find out! Here is the low-down on the Fafinettes!
A faFiNETte is: uNIque, fREsh, iRreVereNT, strong, playful, edgy, fun, sweet, sexy.
Imagine a world where strong, bold women rule supreme, and the expression of femininity via sexuality, attitude, and use of bright, intense colour is de rigueur. Now add a dash of sophisticated urban street cred. Sound cool? Witness MAC’s latest collaboration with edgy graffiti artist, Fafi. For this project, MAC worked exclusively with the Paris-based artist to create three distinct “Fafinette” characters: Monoka, Ermine, and Eriko that embody the signature depictions of sexy, liberated girls that have earned Fafi a devout following in the street art world. What follows is a hip spring colour collection filled with bold, empowering hues, unapologetically girly lip shades of pearly pinks and tangerine reds, iridescent powder, brown, blue and green Paint Pots and Quads, and whimsical cosmetic accessories. And get ready to line up for the limited edition Fafi icon figurine, a highly collectable toy created exclusively for MAC. Step into the magical world of FAFI FOR MAC, where anything is possible.
MeeT tHe MAC faFINetteS
These ageless creatures live in a fantastic, magical realm called the Carmine Vault, but they love to peer in on us. Fafinettes crave colour and creative expression, and they’re inspired by hip earth chicks that incorporate
bold, fabulous makeup into their style. The three Fafinettes you’re about to meet began to notice that this iconic
kind of trend-making female shopped at MAC. So like elves, by night they hop in Lupus, their jet-setting, dimension-travelling car, and sneak into MAC stores to play with makeup!
The book nerd, Monoka, loves the blinding lights and technology-driven culture of Tokyo. She also has a weakness for shochu (Japanese vodka) and delicious sukiyaki, a thinly sliced beef dish served with raw eggs. She’s a consummate bibliomaniac and loves to read the classics, but she has a weakness for ’50s-era French erotica, and plugs into rap music in her spare time. She adores girly lingerie and sleeps with high heels on! On her iPod: Yo Majesty, Lloyd, Ying Yang Twins,
Bat For Lashes. On her Goodreads.com: Edward Bunker: Aucune Bête Aussi Féroce, Bidouille & Violette by Hislaire. Raves: Singing 50 Cent at karaoke bars, Polaroid cameras, Ouija boards. Rants: Tomates à la Provençale, thongs, people who visit her at home and don’t take their jackets off.
Ermine is your typical cheeky Frenchie with a soft spot for the New York graffiti scene. When she’s not watching
television reruns, she’s in Brooklyn trying to spot new graffiti characters or eating Indian food in Jackson Heights, Queens. She loves snowboarding and knows how to DJ, but she’s over it now because it’s become too trendy. On her Tivo: “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” “Yo Gabba Gabba,” “Little House On The Prairie,” “V.” Raves: Un Bracelet De Cheville Pour Probation,
the smell of gasoline. Rants: Movies starring Tom Cruise (especially Jerry McGuire), Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes, plastic pushpins.
Eriko is the big sister of the bunch, and even though she hails from Japan, she’s all about Paris. She especially loves the marche in the Marais, a street market filled with cuisine ranging from crepes to Moroccan dishes, sandwiches, fresh fruits and vegetables. On her Facebook profile: videos of her dancing to the KLAXONS songs, blogs about French Tecktonik Fever. Raves: Baking life-size gingerbread men, collecting chic blue ashtrays – like the ones from the tables at Caviar Kaspia in Paris, Las Vegas print thighs. Rants: Personal Computers, people who own restaurants and don’t hold or participate in food drives.
The perfect pout
Fafinettes know the power of the pout, and aren’t afraid to use their secret weapon. Start with a coat of creamy Lipstick–the collection ranges from pearly blue-pink Fun-n-Sexy to coral rose Strawbaby, then sweeten the deal with a coat of MAC’s signature Lipglass in Fafinette-friendly shades like Totally It (sheer bright pearlized pink) and Cult Fave (blue-pink with white pearl).
cAugHt in tHe hEADlightS
A Fafinette might appear to be doe-eyed, but like some pop stars we know, she’s not that innocent. Shades like silvery green You’re Fresh Eye Shadow and dirty purple Nice Vice prove that this chick’s not afraid to show her true colours.
iT’s aLL aBout pLAytime
Limited edition makeup bags and the tres chic Fafi figurine, by Medicom Toys, let you take a step deeper into the fantasy world of the Carmine Vault, a parallel universe where girls just wanna have fun, and do. Fafi, a now internationally acclaimed artist, started tagging walls in her hometown of Toulouse back in 1994. Today, her murals are welcomed in countries across the world, including the U.S., Japan, Germany and Spain among others. She has two books, Girls Rock (2003) and Love and Fafiness (2006), in addition to various artistic collaborations. She currently lives in Paris.
“The Nude Collection was inspired by color I see naturally in women’s faces. Nude makeup is pure genius because it’s easy to apply and it enhances the natural tones of your skin. It’s the perfect choice for anyone who loves a naturally sexy look.” — Bobbi Brown
Nude Lip & Eye Palette | Bobbi’s new Nude Lip & Eye Palette is the must-have item Featuring a beautiful range of nude shades housed in a sleek compact with slide-out drawer and mirror. Also includes Shadow Brush and Lip Brush with a protective cap. ($60.00)
- Buff Shimmer Wash Eye Shadow (New, exclusive)
- Nude Shimmer Wash Eye Shadow (New, exclusive)
- Bare Eye Shadow (New, exclusive)
- Naked Eye Shadow (New, exclusive)
- Bare Lip Color (New, exclusive)
- Beige Lip Color
- Brownie Pink Lip Color
- Cocoa Lip Color
Glitter Lip Gloss | This season Bobbi has created four new Glitter Lip Gloss shades to complement the Nude Lip & Eye Palette. These skin tone-inspired shades infused with flecks of glitter give lips a polished and sophisticated look– the epitome of unstudied glamour. ($19.00)
- Almost Bare
Availability: Both the Nude Lip & Eye Palette and the new Glitter Lip Glosses will make their debut on counters and www.bobbibrown.com March 2008.
Check out a couple of more photos! Continue reading →
OVERALL, the launch is great because it offers twenty shades of Slimshines that are all permanent to the MAC Cosmetics line. This means that you can happily have a favorite that you can repurchase again and again–not to mention you don’t have to rush out and buy all twenty for fear of them selling out and missing out! The Slimshine formula is very creamy and smooth, more moisturizing than most lipsticks, and the color pay off is fairly decent. I personally find that Slimshines do not last nearly as long as a typical lipstick, because of how creamy they are, you tend to put on more product and it seems like you get less than in a tube of lipstick. The texture/formula is non-sticky, and they are quite glossy/high sheen, which is a plus for those who have no love for lipglass because of its tackiness. My personal favorites were Grenadine, Intimidate, Rock Out, Voile, Gaily, and Scant.
- Assertive is a rose with red and peach undertones and gold shimmer that goes on fairly sheerly.
- Bare is a smooth pale gray-pink with little shimmer but lots of shine. I would consider this in the same family as Blankety lipstick.
- Cocoamour is a warm brown with gold shimmer with decent color but is still buildable. I like the golden shimmer in this, though I think the brown color is still too dark for my lips (alone, at least).
- Funshine is a warm medium pink with no real shimmer but is incredibly glossy with fairly good color pay off. The name is true–this color just seems fun.
- Gaily is a coral-red with little shimmer and lots of high sheen; it’s pretty and I think those who find true reds too bold, this may be a nice subtler red.
- Grenadine is a deep raspberry red with little shimmer and good color pay off. This is a definite favorite of mine, but when am I not attracted to this color family?
- Lovey Dove is a sheer strawberry peach kind of color with low level shimmer (gold sheen perhaps). Nice, but not a stand out color for me.
- Intimidate is a pink with purple-gray undertones with good opacity. It is a nice color, kind of an easy-to-wear shade for casual days.
- Long Stem Rose is a gorgeous shimmery medium pink with golden sheen that goes on sheerly but is somewhat buildable. I like this as a great color for light makeup days.
- Missy is a warm orange-peach kind of color, more wearable than say Vegas Volt, but still one of the bolder colors of the twenty.
- Most Wanted is a very dark burgundy with red and gold shimmer–more shimmer than most of the other Slimshines. I liked it, but I think it may be too vampy for my skintone.
- Mousse is a glossy warm caramel brown with little to no shimmer. It’s not a color I could wear (honestly, browns and I don’t seem to get along!), but I think it’s a great color for others.
- Pleasing is a mauvy kind of color, fairly light and sheer, with subtle golden pearl reflects. It’s a nice everyday shade.
- Prudeaux is a lovely glossy burgundy color–much like Most Wanted–without a lot of shimmer. It does go on more sheerly than Most Wanted, as well, which may make it a better option for the majority.
- Rock Out is this year’s “Kissable.” It is a bright fuchsia pink with subtle golden-pink shimmer, and the color pay off is decent.
- Scant is a deep red-plum with gold shimmer and lots of sheen. I like that it has a lot of color when it goes on, which is always a good thing in my book.
- Think Tan is a dark brown with red shimmer in it that goes on fairly sheerly. I’d love to see someone wear this, just because I can’t imagine it on me.
- Ultra Elegant is a darker coral/peach color with brown undertones. I think this may make a great base underneath brighter lipglasses or glosses.
- Urgent! is the “red” of the launch, but it is a very sheer, glossy red (seems blue-based to me). Pretty, but since it isn’t opaque, I’m not that interested in it.
- Voile is one of my favorites, because it so pretty swatched. It is a pale yellow with lots of golden shimmer. It seems more like a gloss than a lipstick, since it doesn’t provide much color on its own.
Check out two more swatch photos… Continue reading →