The one color that always tugs at my heart-strings is molten gold–that really rich, warm, almost orange-toned, shade of gold. It’s deep, rich, and pure luxury to me. I have so many favorites, but here are five permanent picks from me! (But Urban Decay Honey Eyeliner will always be a shade I miss desperately.)
- Inglot #430 — a rich, yellow gold with a frosted, metallic sheen–this eyeshadow has an incredible texture
- OCC Triptych — a vibrant, metallic gold for your lips (but if full intensity isn’t your thing, try it patted over a burgundy or red!)
- NARS Iskandar — a phenomenally pigmented cream eyeliner/eyeshadow with a gorgoeus finish
- Fyrinnae Aztec Gold — an intensely pigmented, dirty gold–I thought I’d throw one in that wasn’t quite as warm-toned that still held a lot of depth
- Sephora Girls Night Out — a rich, warm-toned gold with an orange-brown undertone and a frosted finish
Do you have any shades of molten gold?
Autumn makes me think of the changing colors of the leaves, rain, and a lingering dampness and crispness in the air–which always makes me think of earthiness. One of my favorite earth tones is greens, and this post is inspired by them; murky, mossy, and dirty greens that are beautiful to wear.
- Inglot #419 — a subtly warm-toned, dirty green with a frosted finish
- OCC Ripley — a gorgeous, gold-sparkled mossy green with threads of metallic shimmer for your nails
- Urban Decay Stash — a classic olive-green eyeliner that’s richly pigmented and glides on easily
- Make Up For Ever #84 — a muted, darkened green with neutral-cool undertones
- L’Oreal Golden Emerald — a richly pigmented, slightly warm-toned gold-shimmered forest green
What are your top favorites?
I love weathered blues; which I interpret as blues that are dusty, muted, gray-tinged, stormy, and such. There’s just a faded quality to them, but there’s still depth and interest in the color. My very favorite of all-time is Urban Decay Strip, which was discontinued quite awhile ago.
- Urban Decay Shattered — a shimmering, muted blue with green and gold shimmer
- L’Oreal Infinite Sky — a gorgeous, glimmering stormy blue with a hint of gray
- Zoya Skylar — a muted, gray-tinged blue with gold sparkle
- Inglot #336 — slightly brightened and richer, but still a rather muted, navy blue with a matte finish
- Zoya Sunshine — a sparkling, muted navy blue polish
What’s your favorite shade of a weathered blue?
This post is inspired by today being National Wear Teal Day, which is a day to help raise awareness for ovarian cancer, and it was brought to my attention particularly by Laura Mercier. The brand has a history of raising awareness and supporting women with ovarian cancer through the Laura Mercier Ovarian Cancer Fund as well as on the cosmetic side, the brand also donates 100% of the profits of three of their products towards the cause.
I, of course, need little push to wear teal, as it is one of my favorite colors, but today, teal has more meaning. Ovarian cancer is the fifth leading cause of cancer-related death among women (per Ovarian Cancer National Alliance, which has a great infographic here) and only 15% of cases are detected early, which is a key reason for raising awareness, particularly of potential symptoms and risk factors. You can learn more about early detection here.
Here are my five favorites right now:
- Urban Decay Deep End — a bluish-teal with a frosted finish
- Zoya Giovanna — a shimmering teal with a slight green tint
- Fyrinnae Gender Bent — a brightened teal with a soft pearl finish
- Illamasqua Apocalips — to really make a statement, a matte teal lipstick
- Inglot #338 — a deep, blue-teal with a matte finish
What’s your favorite teal?
Reader Vinita requested top five picks of burgundy and red-toned purple eyeshadows–just in time for fall! It can be a difficult color for some to wear, because of the red tones, but try pairing it with warmer golds and coppers, or using it with a bright silver. It can be even used mixed with black in the crease to create a very dramatic smoky eye. You can also look for burgundies that lean brown to minimize the red tones found in them.
- MAC Deep Damson — a deep, dark burgundy-brown with a matte finish
- Le Metier de Beaute Fig — a purpled burgundy with a frosted finish
- Inglot #452 — shimmering burgundy with strong red undertones
- Make Up For Ever #311 — shimmery, deep brown-burgundy
- MAC Cranberry — medium-dark burgundy with a frost finish
What’s your favorite burgundy eyeshadow? How do you wear it?
Reader Janisse made a request to see top picks for crease colors, and I couldn’t narrow it down to five across all colors, so I thought I’d start off with five browns!
- Urban Decay Secret Service — matte, medium-dark brown with a slight gray tint
- MAC Omega — light-medium brown with gray
- MAC Charcoal Brown is a dark brown with slight red tones
- Inglot #363 — dark brown with red tones
- Inglot #337 — medium brown with warm undertones
What’s your favorite brown eyeshadow to use in the crease?