Fill in the survey below with your answers, and then share your answers with us in the comments section!
Instructions: Fill in the survey below with your answers, and then share it with us in the comments section!
When was the last time you cleaned your makeup brushes?: [answer]
When do you remove your makeup?: [answer]
Favorite green eyeshadow?: [answer]
Gilt Groupe is an invite-only sales community that offers luxury brands at up to 70% off retail. Today, they’re having a sale on Smashbox! For instance, they have their Get Glowing Kit ($46 retail, on sale for $22) and Master Class Brush Collection ($89 retail, on sale for $45). I’m inviting you to join should you love yourself some Smashbox on sale
The Latest Coupon Codes for Your Favorite Beauty Retailers
- Benefit Cosmetics has free shipping with any $50 purchase, use code PRETTY50. Expires 8/31/09. Free international shipping on any $115 purchase, use code WORLD115. Expires 12/31/09. Free shipping with purchase of Smokin’ Eyes Kit with code SMOKYEYE. Expires 3/31/09. Free color plump with any $35 purchase, no code necessary.
- Bliss is offering a full-sized Blood Orange+White Pepper Body Butter with orders of $75 or more (click link).
- Bobbi Brown has free shipping with code BEST. Expires 5/13/09.
- The Body Shop has a promotion for $10 off $40 or more with code HOLIDAY. Expires 3/31/09.
- The Container Store is offering 25% off store-wide. You can use it online with code CLUTTERCREW or download an in-store coupon.
- Estee Lauder is offering a Time Zone 4-piece sample set with $50 purchase and free shipping with code TIMEZONE. Expires 6/30/09. You can try a Nutritious Powder Makeup 4-piece sample set with $50 purchase and free shipping with code NUTRITIUOS. Expires 6/30/09. Free shipping on purchases over $25 with code SUBSCRIBE2009.
- Laura Mercier has free shipping with code LMWELCOME09.
- LUSH is giving you 15% off with code GIFTFORYOU09. Expires 6/30/09. If you spend $65 or more, you can get a free Angels on Bare Skin cleanser with code SUPERANGELS09.
- MAC Cosmetics has free shipping with code CS93LIVECHAT or SS09.
- Mario Badescu has 15% off with code BARGAINS. You can get 10% off using code MARTHA10 or 52609.
- NeimanMarcus.com has a Guerlain GWP of Orchidee Lip & Eye Cream with Any Guerlain purchase. They’re also offering free shipping at any price with code NMSHIP.
- Philosophy is offering $6 off Hope In a Jar (8. oz.) with code OPRAH. Free vanilla birthday cake lip shine with any $25 purchase with code BIRTHDAYCAKE. Expires 4/15/09. Get 3 shower gels for $33 with code PHILO3FOR33.
- Prescriptives is offering free standard shipping on orders of $35 or more with code FREESHIP3. Expires 6/30/09.
- Shu Uemura has free shipping on any order with code SHU07, REGISTER1, or SHU12.
- Smashbox is running a promotion for $25 off $100 with code SAVE25.
- Tarte Cosmetics is giving you a free lash curler ($15 value) when you buy Lights, Camera, Splashes!, Lash Hugger, 4 Day Stay, or Rejuvelash mascaras. Just use code CURLER. Expires 3/31/09.
- YSL is offering free shipping on any foundation order with code FOUNDATION.
Are you planning to pick up anything from MAC’s Colour Ready Collection? Passing?
You already know what I got, LOL! I had all the color makeup from before, so just picking up the new Prep + Prime products.
Drugstore Finds: Brows, Eye Liners, Mascaras
This is reader feedback in action — a number of you wanted to know more about drugstore beauty products. My days of cruisin’ the drugstore aisle are definitely less than used to be for several reasons, but I’ll try to step up my game in this aspect to give you all better coverage as I can. To get you started, here are some Temptalia tried and true drugstore beauty standbys.
Almay Eye Makeup Remover Pads ($4.99) make quick work out of bold eye makeup. I used to use these to remove stubborn or heavy eye makeup–especially waterproof products, mascaras, and liner.
Ardell Brow Shaping Kit ($3.99) has a decent selection of powders designed for filling in brows. I tend to use powders to fill in my brows over pencils, liquid, or creams. I find it looks a little more natural with the powder (and a brush).
Ardell Sculpting Gel ($4.09) will help keep unruly brows well-tamed and in-place throughout the day. I find you need to use just a tiny lil’ bit, and then run it through your brows with a clean mascara wand. Too much product and your brows will feel (and look!) crunchy.
Revlon Fantasy Lengths False Eyelashes ($5.49) offers really fun and fancy false eyelashes. I have a few pairs, though I seldomly wear false eyelashes, just because they’re so pretty. I always love the ones with the crystals at the tips. If you’re a frequent falsie wearer, you might want to consider going drugstore to save yourself a bit of cash!
See four beauty bargain buys more… Continue reading →
16 Eyeshadow Application Tricks
Struggling to create that flawless, seamlessly blended eyeshadow look? Here is some tried and true advice–with luck, maybe these will help seal the deal for you!Invest in good brushes. I say good brushes, not expensive brushes, because there is a difference. I do prefer MAC brushes for their affordability (relative to other high-end brushes), variety in brushes, and look. Take a look at our recommendations for eye brushes and face brushes, plus tips on cleaning your brushes. A good brush really will go a long way in helping you improve your style and skills. You want at least one great eyeshadow brush; one that’s dense, fluffy, and picks up color without eating it. (My pick is the 239 by MAC, of course!)Practice on the back of your hand. Nothing is worse than spending all that time working on your eyes, only to find it doesn’t work. I always give myself two attempts, and if I can’t get a working look by then, I go nekkid-faced! You can test out how different color combinations will work out by doing a “look” on the back of your hand. See how the colors blend together–maybe one particular shade is finicky and you’ll know to use a smoother shade when you do it for real. This is also a great way to practice blending, too.It’s all about the base. Your eyeshadow will never look as polished, pigmented, or last nearly as long without a good eyeshadow base. A base is specifically designed to get the colors to adhere to your lid and allow it to last all day without creasing or fading. Some bases also help to brighten or intensify the colors you use.Soft and gentle wins the race. Soft, gentle strokes are better than harsher strokes when it comes to both application and blending. If you find you have a heavier hand, try investing in a fluffy crease or blending brush to help reduce your naturally heavy hand. It’s easy to over-blend if you don’t!Can’t blend? Try mono-looks. It’s not always easy to blend two different colors together, and if you just can’t seem to get it, I totally find that going for the same color family in different shades is so helpful. Browns are always the easiest — try a neutral shade like Shroom blended with a much deeper color like Bronze. You can increase your skills and move on to other color families, like a light green and a dark forest green.Close your eyes and pick. Struggling to think of a combination for the day? Or just dying to try something out-of-your-norm? Just pick a random color and go with it. Or pick a couple, and think up ways you can make them work together. If you’re totally stumped with your random choices, try it again until something clicks. Most of the time I just start with one eyeshadow, and slowly I build up a look. I rarely know what I’m going to use ahead of time!There are ten more tips! Continue reading →