Beauty Brands Are Giving Back for Earth Day
- Amala is a 100% certified organic skin and body care line. The line is formulated using only whole plant ingredients with each custom distilled to manage its potency. All ingredients are ethically harvested from fair-trade farm partners around the world. You won’t find chemical perservatives, petrochemicals, parabens, or genetically modified ingredients in their products. 5% of net profits are returned to Amala’s fair trade growers and sustainability projects each year. (I am, thus far, LOVING their line!)
- Zirh is donating 5% of all online sales during the month of April to The Elephant Sanctuary, which is a non-profit organization that provides a haven for endangered African and Asian elephants just outside of Nashville, Tennessee.
- LUSH is giving away complimentary Seed Bombs from April 13th through the 26th. Each bomb contains soil,s eeds, water, and clay. When planted, flowers native to North America will start to grow.
- Jurlique is offering a travel-size sample of Purely Age-Defying Eye Cream, Purely Age-Defying Facial Serum, or an Herbal Recovery Neck Serum with the donation of three empty Jurlique products to a local Jurlique store from April 18th through April 25th.
- Smashbox Cosmetics is pitching in at The Surfrider Foundation’s Santa Monica Beach cleanup on Wednesday, April 22nd from 9 to 11AM. You can join them in helping to keep California’s coastline clean. They will also have Trees for the Future plant a tree for every Mother Earth Palette purchased.
- Kiehl’s is celebrating Earth Day by partnering with celebrities to help raise funds for Waterkeeper Alliance. They partnered with Adrian Grenier, Erykah Badu, Kelly Slater, and a team of students from Parsons The New School for Design to create four limited edition bottles of Superbly Restorative Argan Body Lotion, with 100% of net proceeds to benefit Waterkeeper Alliance. Visit www.kiehlsgivesback.com to learn more.
- Paul Mitchell Schools are offering hair cuts for $10 to 15 from April 20th through April 24th, and the schools will donate hair clippings to Matter of Trust, an organization that creates absorbent hair mats to soak up oil at oil spills across the country.
- Neocutis Skin Care is donating $1 to the Sturge-Weber Foundation for each unit sold throughout the entire month of May.
- Lisa Hoffman Beauty is giving 20% of the proceeds from the Spa Bath and Spa Shower Collections to the Rainforest foundation.
- Fresh is offering a 20% discount on select best-selling items that contain their iconic, natural ingredients. They will also donate 10% of the day’s in-store and online proceeds to The Climate Group.
If you were using MAC Shadowy Lady eyeshadow?, what look would you create with it? What shadows would you use? What would you use on cheeks? Anything added to the lips?
Create a look using whatever you want, as long as you include today’s look book product! Feel free to share links to photos of your look(s) using it in the comments.
Plus, orders placed on April 22nd (today) will get to choose four free skincare samples with any online orders while supplies last at Origins.
HauteLook is having a Josie Maran sale!
Glosses for $8, powders for $12, prepackaged sets from $24 and higher… go and browse!
(The link above is an invite-link, as HauteLook is invite-only, so if you aren’t a member, ta-da! Yes, I do get a referral credit if you join and purchase something, but I post because it’s a deal and who doesn’t love a deal?)
5 Ways to Style Your Hair Without Electricity
Celebrity hairstylist David Babaii wants you to go “au natural” in honor of Earth Day. He’s given us five different looks/ways to achieve natural hair as easy how-tos!
How to Get Curls and Texture Without Styling Tools
For long hair, follow these steps:
- After shampooing spray your entire head with the David Babaii for WildAid Bohemian Beach Spray scrunch and/or twist sections then allow to air dry.
- Once dry, if added texture or volume is desired flip your head over and back, give it a quick shake.
- To set it all in place, lightly spray your hair with hair spray.
For short hair, follow these steps:
- Towel dry freshly washed hair thoroughly to begin the foundation.
- Spray your entire head with a Beach Spray and allow to air dry.
- When hair is dry apply some David Babaii for WildAid Molding Paste and arrange texture until you are happy with the look.
How To Keep You Hair Fresh Without Shampoo
In order to avoid excess oil or buildup (and save on water use), use a bit of baby powder throughout the hair acting as a dry shampoo, which helps eliminate oil and leaves a fresh scent throughout the day. Alternatively, you can use a cosmetic damp cotton pad and dab it around the hairline and roots to eliminate any excess oil. If you wish, mist the pad with a light oil free fragrance or squeeze a few drops from a fresh lemon to give hair that fresh smell
Find out how you can wash your hair the night before and wake up with a great hairstyle, style for stick-straight hair, and what household products you can incorporate into your beautifying process. Continue reading →
Recycle Those Beauty Products!
- Butter London is asking you to Turn In Your Toxins. They invite you to be one of the first 500 customers to log onto www.butterlondon.com on Earth Day (today!), and you will receive a free nail lacquer of your choice. Say goodbye to formaldehyde, toluene, and DBP — dubbed “The Big 3.”
- Bond No. 9 invites you to bring any and all empty perfume bottles to Bond No. 9 stores or counters. When you recycle, you can get a free purse spray with purchase.
- MAC Cosmetics has a strong recycling program called Back to MAC, which allows you to receive a free lipstick when you turn in six empty MAC products. At freestanding stores, you may be able to get a free eyeshadow, lipstick, or lipgloss for your empties.
- Origins invites you to bring in your empty beauty products, jars, bottles, etc. of any brand, and Origins will have them sent to be recyled or used for energy recovery. As a thank you, Origins will treat you to a free sample of one of their skincare products (depending on availability).
- LUSH asks you to bring in 5 empty black pots to be recycled (and you might get a freebie, too) — thanks ChrissyCupcake!
Did we miss a brand that participates in recycling old beauty products?
Celebrate Earth Day with At-Home Natural Hair Tricks of the Trade
Leonardo Manetti of ION Studio says:
Almond oil helps to nourish hair from the inside and add shine to the outside. Try an all natural hair masque by massaging almond oil into wet hair, from the roots to the ends. Cover with a shower cap for 15-30 minutes. Shampoo twice with a clarifying shampoo and do not condition. Finish with a blow dry and the result? Gorgeous shiny and smooth hair. Repeat this process once every two weeks to work with hair’s natural oils to add health and shine.
Brewed chamomile buds are a great natural tone booster for warm blondes. Brew about 3-4 chamomile tea bags in your tea kettle, let seep for twenty minutes, and let cool down. Pour into a water bottle (recycled of course!) and keep in the shower. After shampooing and conditioning, rinse clean hair with a few squirts of the chamomile bath to add warm tones and shine to warm blonde hair. Repeat once a week for an at- home natural color remedy!