Holiday 2009 Gift Guide: Best Gifts for Friends
There are a few characteristics that come to mind when I’m looking for gifts to give my favorite gal pals: cute, fun, and budget-friendly. Even though we’d all love to lavish our friends and family with any gift they desired, it’s easy for holiday spending to get out of control. I always make sure to set aside a budget for friends and I try to determine a good spending level and keep it equal. (Of course, that very best friend might get a little extra!)
Philosophy Gift Sets are one of my favorite gifts to give (and receive!). Philosophy does an amazing job creating cute, holiday-themed packaging and keeping their sets high on the value side while they’re at it. They also have special scents/flavors that only pop up during the holiday season, too.
- I like their Holiday Cookbook ($35.00) is a six-piece shower gel set (each with 2 oz.) housed in a cardboard “cookbook.” It contains the following scents: Red Velvet Cake, Cinnamon Buns, Spicy Pear Cobbler, Pumpkin Spice Muffin, Gingerbread, and Double Rich Hot Cocoa. Delicious! (You can read my review of last year’s here.) You can find this gift at: Nordstrom, Philosophy.com, Sephora.
- My next recommendation is The Recipe Box Set ($18.00) is a good option if you’re on a slimmer budget (or you just have a lot of friends and would like to spread the love a bit more). It’s a cute little set in a gift-ready box and red bow tied on top. It contains two 6 oz. shower gels: Sweet Creamy Frosting and Red Velvet Cake. It is available at Beauty.com, Nordstrom, Philosophy.com, and Sephora.
Korres has a lot of value-packed sets available for holiday as well as year-round (nothing wrong with giving one of those, y’know), so if you’re thinking about giving the gift of Korres this holiday season, there’s a good variety of sets to choose from.
- Korres Cherry Lip Kisses ($19.50) is a trio of Korres’ Cherry Oil Lipgloss (includes Fuchsia, Natural Purple, and Nude shades). These are fun glosses, and when they’re available in a set? Totally worth it! (You can read my full review here.) You can pick this set up at KorresUSA.com (save 30% on $35 or more with code TEMPTALIA til 12/31!) and Sephora.
- Another Korres set I’m loving for an affordable gift set is their Best Of Korres ($25.00) which gives a nice taste of Korres’ product line without splurging on full-sizes. It’s a particularly nice set to receive, too! I also like it because it is travel friendly, and I know I can never have too many travel-sized products.
This Week’s Topic: GLITTER NAIL POLISH!
Your Mission: Tell us what you love, hate, or are otherwise indifferent to about glitter nail polish and all that it entails.
Build a Quad: “Sunset Style”
There’s one look that I do often, even if the shades themselves are interchangeable, and it’s what I’d call a “sunset eye.” Like it sounds, it includes the colors you might see in a sunset: bright yellows, fiery oranges, coppers, and reds.
This quad includes: MAC Goldmine eyeshadow (bright, true yellow gold), MAC Coppering eyeshadow (a coppery-red bronze), MAC Passionate eyeshadow (matte deep fuchsia-pink), and MAC Rule eyeshadow (a matte lightly burnt orange). If you wanted a more autumnal quad, you could easily swap out Passionate for MAC Antiqued eyeshadow, as well.
A few combinations to try with this…
- Goldmine all over the lid, Rule on the outer lid, Coppering in the crease
- Goldmine on the inner third of the lid, Rule on the middle of the lid, Passionate on the outer lid, Coppering in the crease
- Rule on the inner half of the lid, Passionate on the outer lid, Coppering in the crease
- Goldmine all over the lid, Passionate on the outer lid, Coppering in the crease
A few looks I’ve done that can be replicated with these shades…
Build a Quad is a feature focusing on creating different eyeshadow palettes that are both beautiful and functional using permanent shades of eyeshadow. We invite readers to suggest their own build-a-quads — just leave your ideas in the comments! Don’t forget to name your quad!
See swatches… Continue reading →
Ralph Lauren is on sale at HauteLook!
About the brand:
Ralph Lauren’s aspirational vision has been a mainstay in the world of fashion and style. His profound influence from clothing to home wares to fragrances, is not just about exceptional experiences and beautifully crafted objects, however; it is about a way of life.
Just as Ralph Lauren has had a driving role in shaping men’s and women’s lifestyle and fashions over the past 40 years, he has also been the central force in shaping and developing the designer fragrance market. It is fitting that the portfolio of Ralph Lauren fragrances includes almost every classification: florals, woodlands, directional editions, new classics. The range speaks to the brand’s breadth and versatility and achieves Mr. Lauren’s desire to make the dream accessible to everyone.
Ralph Lauren has introduced more than 25 popular fragrances for men and women, beginning in 1978 with the launch of Polo Ralph Lauren and Lauren by Ralph Lauren. Since then, Mr. Lauren has introduced several iconic scents, such as Polo Modern Reserve, Polo Black, Polo Blue, Ralph Lauren Romance and Love, Ralph Lauren.
The link above is an invite-link, which is a referral link. HauteLook has opened up membership, so you are free to sign up on your own, if you wish!
Temptalia Gives Away $180 in MAC Cosmetics!
We’re giving away $180 in MAC Dazzleglasses and Dazzleglass Cremes — you’re getting five shades of each formula.
We’re giving away…
- MAC Amorous Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Luscious Spark Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Perfectly Unordinary Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Soft Dazzle Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Sublime Shine Dazzleglass Crème
- MAC Extra Amps Dazzleglass
- MAC Money Honey Dazzleglass
- MAC Utterly Posh Dazzleglass
- MAC Smile Dazzleglass
- MAC Sugarrimmed Dazzleglass
All entries must be submitted by November 19th, 2009 at 11:59 PM PST. This contest is open to all readers as pursuant to your local state/country’s laws. Winner will be chosen randomly and notified via direct message on Twitter. This post will be updated with “winner chosen” when one has been chosen.
Re-Tweet to Win
This is a Twitter Giveaway, so it is extremely easy to enter–just two simple steps! You’re welcome to re-tweet away, but there is only one entry per person. If you have protected tweets, you must briefly unlock your tweets, tweet me, and re-lock.
1. Follow us on Twitter
2. Re-tweet the following: “RT @temptalia Win $180 worth of MAC Dazzleglasses! Follow @temptalia & RT to enter! Info: http://tinyurl.com/megadazzle“
Congratulations to Amy, @amynaree, for winning!
Beauty Bargains: This Week’s Coupons, Sales, & Promotions
- Bath & Body Works: Buy 3 Get 2 Free OR Buy 2 Get 1 Free Signature Collection Products! Expires 11/17/09
- Beauty.com: $10 off $60 at Beauty.com (must click-through this link).
- Benefit Cosmetics: Free US Standard Shipping on any $50 purchase. Enter promo code PRETTY50 at checkout. Free International Shipping with any $115 purchase. Enter promo code WORLD115 at checkout.
- Benefit Cosmetics: Get a free US standard shipping with purchase of glitz glam and gloss at Benefit. Enter GLOSSKIT at checkout. Offer valid 11/17/09 through 11/24/09.
- Bobbi Brown: Free Full Size Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner in Indigo Ink ($21 Value) with $65 Order with code HOLIDAY (expires 1/15/10).
- Bobbi Brown:Free Full Size Lip Gloss in Honey ($20 value) with their order of $65 or more when they use code HONEY (expires 1/15/10).
- Bobbi Brown:Free full size Metallic Shadow in Penny ($20 Value) with any purchase of $65 or more with code PENNY (expires 12/15/09).
- The Body Shop: Buy 1 Get 1 50% Off on select Bath & Body products from The Body Shop.
- Clinique: Get a shimmering silvery tote FREE with any $49.50 clinique.com purchase. Use code TOTE. While supplies last.
- Clinique: Exclusive beauty gift, get a unique Trina Turk cosmetics bag filled with beauty essentials. A $75 value, yours with any $25 Clinique purchase at NORDSTROM.
- Prescriptives: Free Standard Shipping with any $35 Prescriptives.com purchase, use offer code FREESHIP3 at checkout. Expires 12/31/09
- Sephora: FREE Metallic Flower clutch filled with 8 samples at Sephora.com! Yours with any $50 purchase. Use code CLUTCH4U at checkout.
- Sephora: Get Philosophy’s Amazing Grace Buffing Wash Sample with any order. Enter code BUFFING at checkout.
- Sephora: Get a Bare Escentuals 10-day sample plus mini kabuki brush FREE with any order! Use code TRYBE at checkout.
- Sephora: Beauty Insiders Only. Get a free Bare Escentuals Buxom lip mini gloss. Choose your own shade. Enter code BUXOMKISS at checkout.
- Sephora: Free Skincare Sample Kit at Sephora! Enter code 123SKIN at checkout!
- Sephora: Get a Bare Escentuals Flawless Definition Mascara free with any order! Use code BEFLAWLESS at checkout.
- Sephora: Gifts that Ship for FREE! For a limited time, get FREE Shipping on these select holiday gifts at Sephora! Enter code HOLIDAYSHIP at checkout.
- Too Faced: 30% off your entire order with code LUCKYBREAKS.
Are you deal hunter? Be sure to check out our DEALS page for all the latest deals and steals!