By Nicki Zevola, Pennsylvania, Skincare Expert
Nicki Zevola is a beauty expert and the founder of FutureDerm.com, where she provides clear, well-researched information about beauty+skincare, fashion+style, nutrition+fitness, and personal development from a different perspective from most in the blogosphere. Named one of the top beauty bloggers since 2009, Nicki is also a medical student (M.D.) with an estimated graduation date of May 2013. Continue reading her full bio…
5 Surprising Skincare Facts You Didn’t Know (Until Now!)
1. Mixing certain skin care ingredients inactivates them.
Even if you hated science classes, you have to keep in mind that skin care is the product of somewhat advanced chemistry, subject to pH imbalance, unexpected reactions, and the like. For instance, many cosmetic chemists do not recommend using products with alpha hydroxy acids, like glycolic acid, and retinol together. This is because retinol is most active at a pH of 5.5-6.0 (Journal of Investigative Dermatology), while glycolic acid has an optimized pH at 3.83 (Cosmetic Dermatology). Another problem is using a heavier skin care product under a lighter one. High concentrations of certain occlusive agents like petrolatum and mineral oil prevent the ingredients in the lighter serum from reaching your skin as effectively. Most dermatologists thereby recommend applying the lighter product first.
2. You should never apply self-tanner before going out into the sun, unless you use a sunscreen first.
Most self-tanners work by using dihydroxyacetone (DHA) as the main ingredient. According to a 2007 study published in Germany, DHA causes the skin to release 180% more free radicals once exposed to the sun. Therefore sun protection is extremely important when you have used self-tanners containing DHA within the past 24 hours.
3. There is no such thing as 100% SPF protection from a sunscreen.
According to dermatologist Dr. Rachel Herschenfeld, M.D., the percentage of protection you get is 100 – (1/SPF number)*100. I know that looks complicated, but let’s take SPF 30 for example:
Percentage of protection = 100 – (1/SPF number)*100
Percentage of protection = 100 – (1/30)*100 = 100 – 3.3
Percentage of protection = 96.6
Using that same principle, SPF 50 provides only 98% protection, and SPF 100 provides 99.9%! Keep in mind this is the amount of protection provided when you apply a whole shot-glass full of sunscreen for your entire body and reapply religiously every 2-3 hours. As such, it’s safe to say there is no such thing as 100% sun protection from a sunscreen.
Check out two more facts you didn’t know!
I always use MAC’s 249 to apply the primer, regardless of the consistency — whether it’s thick, thin, or liquid.
Do you have a question idea? Submit yours here.
This Week’s Topic: HOLIDAY MAKEUP COLLECTIONS!
Your Mission: Tell us what you love, hate, or are otherwise indifferent to about holiday makeup collections. What drives you bananas? What makes them necessary?
Feel free to share any upcoming deals you’ve spotted!
- GILT: Bobbi Brown (11/09)
- HAUTELOOK: LORAC (11/7), Juice Beauty (11/8), GLOSS Moderne (11/9)
- IDEELI: —
- EBATES: Lancome (14%), The Body Shop (10%), Pur Minerals (10%), DermStore (7.5%)
- Rue La La: ghd (11/7)
Free Shipping, Coupon Codes, GWPs
- APOTHICA: Free shipping on orders of $49+
- BATH & BODY WORKS: 20% off with code 20HOLIDAY11, expires 11/27.
- BEAUTY.COM: New Customers – get $5 off $35 or $10 off $70 on your first Beauty.com order, expires 1/1/12. Get a free Issa London Designer Bag + deluxe samples ($175 value!) with your $100 order, while supplies last — link.
- BENEFIT: Free shipping on $50+ purchases with code PRETTY50. Free international shipping with $115+ purchases with code WORLD115.
- BLOOMINGDALE’S: Free shipping on orders of $150+ with code FS150. Friends & Family Event: save 20% off fashion (10% off electronics) with code FANDF, plus free standard shipping with code FREESHIP11, expires 11/13.
- BLISS: Free gift with $135+ purchase with code HOLIDAY11, expires 12/31.
- BOBBI BROWN: Free shipping on $65+ orders. Free long-wear cream shadow in Suede + free shipping with $65+ purchase with code SUEDE9, expires 12/21 (one time use). Free shimmer lip gloss in Glacier + free shipping on $65+ orders with code GLACIER9, expires 12/21 (one time use).
- CLINIQUE: Free shipping on $50+ orders. Free All About Eyes mini with $30+ orders with code LIDS, available while supplies last.
- DERMSTORE: 10% off when you shop for your My Favorites List, expires 12/31.
- GIORGIO ARMANI BEAUTY: Free sample of Regenessence Youth Regenerator with any purchase, no code necessary, expires 12/1. Free standard shipping, free gift wrap, samples of Aqua di Gioia and Eyes to Kill Stretch with $75+ purchase with code GAHOLIDAY2, expires 11/12.
- KERASTASE: Free deluxe sample of best selling Elixir Ultime with $68+ purchase, expires 1/1/12.
- KIEHLS: Receive 3 deluxe samples with $50+ order with code KIEHLSDAY, expires 11/13. Orders of $85+ will also receive a 2.5 oz. Hand Salve.
- LANCOME: Receive four-piece sample plus free shipping with $45+ orders with code NOVLAN, expires 11/30.
- MOLTON BROWN: 2 x free 100ml SHOWER GELS on orders over £40 with code TAKETWO, expires 11/23.
- NORDSTROM: Free shipping & free returns everyday. Half-yearly sale for women and kids starts 11/2.
- ORIGINS: Free shipping on $50+ orders, no code necessary, expires 12/3.1 Free shipping + Ginger Rush (15ml) with $30+ purchase with code GINGER, expires 11/30.
- PHILOSOPHY: 10% off with code PHILOPINK, expires 11/1. 10% off with code FRIENDS< expires 12/31.
- SAKS FIFTH AVENUE: Spend $150 and get a free subscription to Harper’s Bazaar with code BAZAAR. Free shipping on any order now through 12/31.
- SEPHORA: Jurlique Herbal Recovery Gel for $10. Clean mini trio for $15. Free Bare Escentuals Lip Color with any $25+ purchase with code CONFIDENCE. Free YSL Toning & Cleansing Water with $25+ purchase with code YSLCLEANSE. Free Bare Escentuals mascara with $25+ purchase with code FLAWLESS. Free YSL Faux Cils Mascara sample with $25+ purchase with code FAUXCILS. Free Shiseido Mascara sample with $25+ purchase with code PERFECT. Free deluxe Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Acne Clearing Exfoliating Treatment sample with any purchase with code CLEAR, expires 11/6. Free Bobbi Brown Eye Cream with any $25+ purchase with code BOBBIEYE. Free Clinique Acne Treatment sample with $25+ purchase (BI) with code ACNE. Free Murad cleanser sample with $25+ order with code CLEANSE. Free Super by Perricone Hydrator sample with code SUPER.
- SKINSTORE.COM: 20% off any order with code G2GWIN, expires 11/7.
- TARTE: 10% off for new customers with code GGA, expires 12/31.
- THE BODY SHOP (USA): Free shipping on $50+ orders. Buy 2, get 1 free (entire store), expires 11/19.
- ULTA: Free shipping on $25+ orders, no code necessary, expires 12/24.
- YSL: Free shipping on any order, no code necessary. 5 YSL fragrance samples and free shipping on $75+ order with code FRAGRANCE10, expires 12/31.
Chanel Dragon Rouge Allure Laque, but you already knew that 🙂
Do you have a question idea? Submit yours here.