With Valentine’s Day just a couple of weeks away, it seemed only appropriate to make a list of pretty in pink shades. Whether you like pink on your lips, tips, cheeks, or eyes, I hope that you’ll find at least one shade to drool over.
- Clinique Plum Pop (04) — a cool-toned, plummy pink with a satin finish
- L’Oreal Always pearly Pink (756) — a light-medium, frosted pink with warm, yellow undertones
- Givenchy Rose Taffetas (201) — a light-medium, warm-toned pink with a luminous shine
- Illamasqua Harem — a cool-toned, pastel pink with hints of lavender
- Urban Decay Anarchy — a vibrant, cool-toned, fuchsia pink
- NARS Desire — a cool-toned, vibrant magenta pink with a mostly matte finish
- Revlon Adorned — an intense, bright fuchsia-red with shimmer
- Make Up For Ever #75 — a rich, hot pink with a matte finish
- Maybelline Pink Pop — blue-based, cotton candy pink with a soft, frosted finish
- Tarte Dollface — a cool-toned, light-medium pink with a satin finish
After I’ve reviewed a lot of palettes, one of the questions I get asked every so often is to provide recommendations for more of a do-it-yourself option. This post are some of my top picks for a cool-toned, neutral-themed “palette,” so-to-speak, though to balance, there should be a few more your-skin-but-better kind of shades (will depend on your skin tone) for highlighting, all-over, and transitioning. I chose shades that are permanently available individually that were under $20 each. I also skewed towards medium/dark shades, as the right shade of lighter/light-medium or all-over lid color will depend on skin tone. For some additional shades of browns (which I don’t have full reviews for/good photos, so they’re hard to include visually), also consider MAC Concrete, Mystery, and Copperplate.
- MAC Typographic — a soft, blendable dark gray with a matte finish
- Urban Decay Mushroom — a shimmery, cool-toned taupe
- Make Up For Ever #79 — a deep, purpled plum
- Inglot #326 — a deepened, cool-toned brown with reddish tones and a matte finish
- Maybelline Tough as Taupe — a creamy, cool-toned taupe with a mauve tint–I know, you can’t stick it into a palette, but it’s such a great budget-friendly cool-toned shade
- Inglot #434 — a shimmering, purplish taupe
- Makeup Geek Galaxy — a cool-toned, shimmery gray
- Inglot #350 — a cool-toned, light-medium beige with a matte finish
- Inglot #324 — a light gray with a matte finish
- Urban Decay Blackout — deep, dark matte black
What cool-toned neutral eyeshadows would you recommend?
You know what I look forward to? Seeing some radiantorchideyes eyeliners. Those are few and far between, particularly for permanently available options. I also look forward to seeing some intensely pigmented, radiantorchideyes-hued matte eyeshadows–or at least, that’s my hope.
What are your favorite orchid-hued eyeshadows/eyeliners?
Now that 2014 has kicked off, and I’m sure you’ve heard that Pantone’s color of the year is Radiant Orchid. I know we’ll see plenty of new introductions of the color throughout the year, but I know that we’ve seen the color before–and you may already have some in your stash! Here are a few of my picks for wearing radiant orchid on your lips or your tips…
What are your favorite orchid-hued lip colors and nail polishes?
All in all, with my top ten lists, I’ve now shared 100 of my favorite beauty shades and products that I’ve discovered during 2013! I have rated and reviewed over 2,445 shades/products since January 1st. I’ve enjoyed reflecting back on what I’ve tried and reviewed, and I hope you’ve enjoyed seeing my picks–because I know I’ve loved reading yours. They always give me suggestions on what products and formulas to try next year! In case you missed any, here are my top tens:
Thank you for an incredible 2013! There’s really no adequate way to express my gratitude for having your support and readership. Sometimes I can’t believe how much this blog has grown. You have no idea how much your comments mean to me, how you continually motivate me to do better each and every day, and for how knowledgeable, kind, and supportive you are. I wish you much happiness and good health in the upcoming year–may 2014 be better in every way for you!
When it comes to eyeshadows, by and large, most of the ones covered these days are found in palettes! There are definitely plenty of reviews of singles, but palettes outnumber them easily. To compile this list, though, I only think it’s fair to focus on the singles (that’s why there’s a whole top ten for palettes, so they’re not left out!) that made my heart pitter-patter and go all aflutter. As always, I tried to go across formulas and colors, picking the best of the best, though I couldn’t help myself from choosing two from Dior’s new cream formula.
- Tom Ford Escapade Cream Color for Eyes — it’s a golden peach with a metallic sheen; but this (paired with Pink Haze) is my go-to combination for a bright, warm eye–I’ve reached for this nearly every time I have a “no-testing” day
- Sugarpill @#$%! Eyeshadow — a bold, warm-toned red with silver sparkle
- NARS Persia Eyeshadow — a superbly pigmented, burnt orange with a matte finish
- Dior Millenium (381) Diorshow Fusion Mono Eyeshadow — a glorious blackened brown with bronze and pewter shimmer
- MAC Brazenly Eyeshadow — a richly pigmented purple-berry with a frosted sheen (if every collection by MAC was as high quality as Nudes & Metallics, we’d all be in big trouble)
- Illamasqua Sadist Eyeshadow — a bold, vibrant cornflower blue with a matte finish
- Urban Decay Peace Eyeshadow — reformulated, it was so soft, smooth, and intensely pigmented
- Dior Aventure (081) Diorshow Fusion Mono Eyeshadow — a gray and bronze-shimmered black-brown (it says something when I buy every single shade available in a formula, as I did with this one)
- MAC Tailor Grey Pro Longwear Paint Pot — a deliciously creamy, satin-matte taupe with subtle warm undertones
- Sephora My Boyfriend’s Jeans (19) Eyeshadow — a cool-toned, bluish-purple with intense pigmentation (almost never happens!)
What eyeshadows captured your attention this past year?