One of the things I appreciate about Chanel is that they’re often a brand that sets trends, and then many other brands follow them. They have a lot of silky, finely-milled powders in their range, from blush to eyeshadow.
- Chanel Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss — long-wearing, nicely pigmented, hydrating gloss; favorite shades include Reflexion, Merveille
- Chanel Le Blush Creme de Chanel — a cream-to-powder blush that came out recently that is one of the best cream blushes I’ve tried (all are awesome!)
- Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour — trend-setting polish with a large variety of shades; personal recommendations would be: Suspicious, Paradoxal, Particuliere, Taboo
- Chanel Joues Contraste Blush — incredibly soft, silky powder blush that sits well on the skin; some favorites are Frivole, Rose Initial, Espiegle
- Chanel Illusion d’Ombre Eyeshadow — sparkling, shimmering cream eyeshadow that wears well; my picks include Mirifique, Epatant, Illusoire
What are your favorite Chanel products and shades?
MAC was the first brand I really fell in love with. MAC Pigments were what made me fall in love with makeup, period, and began a long-time love affair with the brand. Quite honestly, MAC will always hold a special place in my heart for helping me discover the world makeup, but MAC is the first brand that recognized this blog as, well, something. It was that recognition that fueled my drive and determination to build Temptalia into something bigger and better from then on.
- MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pots — creamy, long-wearing color that can be used alone or as a base; favorites include Camel Coat, Eclair, Soft Ochre
- MAC Lipstick — there are so many shades to choose from, as well as finishes; it’s hard not to find a few to love! A few picks: Viva Glam I, Rebel, Craving, Plumful, Velvet Teddy, Candy Yum Yum, Violetta
- MAC Pearlglide Intense Eyeliners — rich and sparkly, long-wearing eyeliners; Undercurrent is one of my favorites
- MAC Eyeshadow — particularly their Veluxe Pearl and Matte2 eyeshadows (and permanent range); some of my long-time favorites include Satin Taupe, Soft Brown, Bronze, Coppering, Antiqued, Amber Lights, Freshwater, Lucky Green, Bright Sunshine, Atlantic Blue, Stars ‘n’ Rockets, Patina, Goldmine, Romp
- MAC Pigment — nicely pigmented loose eye color; the product that made me fall in love with MAC and makeup! Here are some recommendations: Chartreuse, Golden Olive, Teal, Museum Bronze
What are your favorite MAC products?
I’m a long-time fan of Urban Decay, and so I’m sure none of these will come as a surprise from me!
- Eyeshadow — soft, buttery, pigmented, and silky-smooth–that’s the formula overall! The only ones I’m not keen on are the ones with micro-glitter.
- 24/7 Glide-On Lip Pencil — one of the most comfortable lip liners on the market and has a large shade range
- Revolution Lipstick — richly pigmented, hydrating, comfortable to wear lip color
- 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils — a favorite for years, I love the variety, consistency, and long-wear–now if only they’d bring back Honey
- Super Saturated High Gloss Lip Color — rich, decadent lip color with a glossy finish; Scandal is a must-have
What are your favorite Urban Decay products?
One of my most enduring favorites is Maybelline’s Full ‘n’ Soft mascara, which is a mascara I’ve always reached for and nearly always have a tube open. I love the regular as well as waterproof version, and one of the reasons I love it is it really adds length and volume while still looking natural, defined, and lashes feel soft–not crunchy. I’ve been more impressed with Maybelline’s recent formulas, like the ColorSensational Vivids and their Color Tattoo ranges (even if they don’t quite achieve 24-hour wear).
- Maybelline ColorSensational Vivids Lip Color — luminous, intensely pigmented, long-wearing lip color
- Maybelline Color Tattoo 24 Hour Eyeshadow — cream eyeshadow in an assortment of shades, like Tough as Taupe, which is great for sculpting the lids
- Maybelline Full ‘n’ Soft Mascara — one of my favorite mascaras for natural lashes
- Maybelline Color Tattoo Pure Pigments — they might not last the forever-long claim they’re supposed, they
- Maybelline ColorSensational Lip Color — even the non-neon line is quite good with classics like Very Cherry!
What are your favorite Maybelline products?
Long-time readers will know that Guerlain is easily one of my favorite brands. A lot of my very favorite products are by the brand, from foundation to finishing powder to lipstick. If we threw limited edition shades into the mix, there’d be even more favorites to be found. If you’re new to the brand and aren’t sure where to start, let me share with you my five must-have products…
- Guerlain Meteorites — pressed or loose pearls, they’re a cult favorite for a reason. I prefer the pressed as a finishing powder to add subtle luminosity back into the skin. If you like a little more shimmer and sparkle, I’d opt for the loose pearls.
- Guerlain Rouge G Lip Color — it’s been a non-stop winner for my very, very favorite lipstick formula for years; long-wearing, hydrating, smoothing, and good variety of colors. Guerlain’s strength, for me, has always been in base and lip products.
- Guerlain Le Vernis — incredibly glossy (without a top coat), highly pigmented, and long-wearing–I love the cream finishes best.
- Guerlain Rouge G de Guerlain L’Extrait — long-wearing, intensely pigmented, matte lip color
- Guerlain Parure de Lumiere — foundation is another strength by the brand, as I haven’t encountered one I didn’t like (and my favorite, Parure Gold, is now discontinued), and every time I wear Parure de Lumiere, a reader asks about my skin care routine. The major downside is they have a limited shade range.
Have you tried Guerlain? Any must-haves you’d recommend to others?
Today, Tarina Tarantino Beauty will be on Hautelook (at 8AM PST) with their “core collection.” I don’t know exactly what that means and what shades will be available, but it seemed like a good time to do a top five featuring the brand!
- Limited Edition Eyeshadow Palettes — their eyeshadow formula is amazing–soft, silky, buttery, and dense–and the limited edition palettes are as lovely as their permanent palettes
- Eye Dream Hyperliners — all day, every day, these eyeliners are creamy, long-wearing, and ultra-pigmented (Spark of Envy being my fave)
- Dollskin Cheek Blushes — silky-smooth, pigmented, and blendable blushes in wearable hues
- Jewel Eyeshadow Palettes — if you love richly pigmented, buttery, smooth eyeshadows, highly recommend these!
- Conditioning Lip Sheen — luminous lip color with good color coverage, hydrating wear
Have you tried Tarina Tarantino Beauty products before?