Top 10 of 2012: Makeup Palettes
There were actually a lot of fantastic palettes released this year! I already pulled up twenty that to consider for the top ten, and I had only reached August (I go backwards). So here are my picks–and I tried to include a variety of brands that were all excellent, but full disclosure: could have easily included more bareMinerals, Guerlain, and another Tom Ford (Enchanted).
What was your favorite makeup palette from 2012?
10 Worst Beauty Products of 2012
There have been several disappointing products released over the past year, but these are ten that really frustrated me… They’re in no particular order! Now that these are out of the way, we can end 2012 and start 2013 on a happy, positive note going over all the bests of the year
What was the worst product you tried this year?
5 Shades of Winter for Eyes
It’s hard to find a really awesome aqua eyeshadow, because aqua tends to be a lighter color–almost pastel–that they can be sheer and/or chalky (or just powdery). Sometimes they lean blue, other times they lean green.
- MAC Weathered — darkened, mtued stormy blue
- Buxom Husky — icy winter blue
- bareMinerals On the Rocks — iridescent blue-violet
- Maybelline Too Cool — cool, snowy white
- MAC Keep Your Cool — dirty, gray taupe
What eyeshadow reminds you of winter?
5 Polish Picks for the Holidays
I tried to pick five various shades, rather than five of one color, to show off the variety of holiday-esque polishes!
- China Glaze Cranberry Splash — brilliant bright red
- Illamasqua Swinger — antique gold
- Zoya Song — sparkling blue
- Butter London British Racing Green — deep, dark green
- Chanel Malice — deep, dark red
What’s your favorite polish for the holiday season?
Emerald Green is Pantone’s Color of 2013
Pantone has announced that emerald green will be the color of 2013, which means expect to see about 234879234 new shades of emerald green released in beauty (and, well, everything else) next year. The good news is, for me, I adore emerald green! Here are five favorites to the tune of emerald green
- Milani Green Safari — emerald green with a frosted sheen
- Inglot #385 — vibrant emerald green with a matte finish
- Zoya Holly — shimmering emerald green polish
- NARS Misfit — a teal-tinged emerald green with sparkle
- MAC Emerald Green — strong emerald green in loose form
What’s your favorite emerald green-colored beauty product?
5 Easy Ways to Look Festive for the Season
Maybe you’re heading to a party after work or you’re pressed for time, but there are still ways to incorporate these festive products with little time and effort. Thanks to reader Lisa for today’s idea!
- Glitter Nail Lacquer — most glitter polishes are best when used to layer over existing polish, so a quick coat of one will jazz up nails (or help make an existing manicure look fresh); pictured above is Zoya Electra
- Red Lipstick — most reds are long-wearing, so they’re great to add bold, festive color and will last well through parties/meals; pictured above is MAC Russian Red
- Glittery/Shimmer Lipgloss — my personal favorites are all within Bobbi Brown’s High Shimmer range; pictured is Firefly, a very cool-toned, iridescent shade, and another favorite is Canary, which is lots and lots of gold sparkle. Alone or layered, they add instant glitz with very little work; plus, they’re easy to reapply
- Glitter Eyeliner — the best kind to use in a pinch is liquid, because they come with an applicator and are less prone to fall out; if you have more time, Lit Cosmetics does excellent glitter and adhesive
- Transformative Powders — these duochrome (sometimes tri-chrome almost!) powders can be patted on top of existing makeup to add a flash of iridescent sheen and transform your look
What’s your favorite quick and easy way to incorporate a little glitz into your look?